Thread: Used Credits - Won't Write

Tuner in Training

Used Credits - Won't Write

All,

New guy here.

I ordered the MPVI2 with two credits (~$400) the other week. Yesterday I got around to using it and have ran into an issue.

I?m swapping a 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 5.3 V8 (LS4) into my DeLorean.
    The E40 ECM that I acquired for the engine control is not from the same vehicle as the engine (shouldn?t matter). It is, however, out of a 2005 Grand Prix V6 3.8.

I bought HP tuners to edit the E40 ECM to flash out VATS and DOD (among other things).

Yesterday, I plugged the MPVI2 OBD2 to USB plug in and used the VCM editor to read the ECM. As expected, the tune file came back as a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix V6. I saved the file for safe keeping and closed it out. I then downloaded a base 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 5.3 V8 tune and opened it in VCM editor. I made the changes I wanted and selected write to vehicle. As expected, a box popped up prompting me to use my 2 credits to license the vehicle/ECM. I selected the single vehicle license option and used my 2 credits. Then, a new box popped up with options to write calibration only or write entire. I selected write calibration only and clicked the ?WRITE? button on the pop up box. After a few seconds, a message appeared that read something like ?Vehicle not licensed?. I checked and my credits are gone as I used them for the specific vehicle I wanted. When checking license information, I can see I?ve licensed what I wanted:

License Type: Specific Vehicle
    Type:
    Credits: 2
    Description: 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix (8 cyl)
    Note:
    Details: 86YMPKM0520728E6

What did I do wrong? Hopefully HPTuners will answer my ticket (162627) soon. Any help would be appreciated?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    where did you "downloaded a base 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP 5.3 V8 tune" from exactly?
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Hi Bill.

I downloaded it from the HP Tuners website (Tune Repository). https://www.hptuners.com/my-account/tunerepository/?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltemup4650 View Post
    Hi Bill.

I downloaded it from the HP Tuners website (Tune Repository). https://www.hptuners.com/my-account/tunerepository/?
    That is what you ultimately did wrong. You should not be flashing other peoples files into your ecm. It can use up to 6 credits in order to do so.

Tuner in Training
    It only asked to use 2 credits? There is a video (like an advertisement) that you guys send in your package (on the USB drive) that shows a guy downloading from the repository and flashing onto the ECM. It makes it look so simple and I didn't see any warning about needing extra credits. Again, it only asked for 2 credits when I went to flash it (write it) to the ECM. Considering the amount of money I spent on this product and the near non-existence of quality printed instructions, this is quite frustrating. I've had to look to forums and youtube to learn how to use it (which has me in this situation). All that came with the packaging was a quick start guide.

Changing operating systems also requires a write entire, not write calibration and the 2005 V6 are not E40 computers either.

They look the same but are not the same. Look at the calibration details page on the file. It's a P05b controller.

Now lets just say the computer you had was a real E40. It would cost you two credits to license that file. Because you must license any file/computer to just be able to edit it.

So now we are at 2 credits spent.

Then if you wanted to change operating systems to run that LS4 engine. You'd have to license that file too. Then write entire into computer.

Now we are at 4 credits total.

The write entire now creates a new tune file and new OS on a different computer. So it would want you to license that file now. So 6 credits.

It can be confusing to new people so it's always best to start with the computer you want to run in the first place. This way it only costs you credits once.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 02-11-2019 at 03:49 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    It only asked to use 2 credits? There is a video (like an advertisement) that you guys send in your package (on the USB drive) that shows a guy downloading from the repository and flashing onto the ECM. It makes it look so simple and I didn't see any warning about needing extra credits. Again, it only asked for 2 credits when I went to flash it (write it) to the ECM. Considering the amount of money I spent on this product and the near non-existence of quality printed instructions, this is quite frustrating. I've had to look to forums and youtube to learn how to use it (which has me in this situation). All that came with the packaging was a quick start guide.
    I'll just leave this here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I'll just leave this here.
    Bill,

I don't like your tone with the "I'll just leave this here". I'm the customer, you're the service provider. Don't be condescending. Be polite. Be professional.

Tuner in Training
    5FDP,

Thanks for chiming in. Sounds like I should've acquired an E40 ECU from a GXP (the V8 5.3 model) instead of the V6. Dang.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Bill,

I don't like your tone with the "I'll just leave this here". I'm the customer, you're the service provider. Don't be condescending. Be polite. Be professional.
    I apologize if you took it that way, we get asked about this same exact thing several times a day which is why this screenshot was handy enough to post quickly. It was just meant to be a placemarker for anyone else that has the same question and uses the search feature on our forum.

Tuner in Training
    Apology accepted.

Let's get down to it here. I've lost my credits? I've definitely licensed something I won't/can't use.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Apology accepted.

Let's get down to it here. I've lost my credits? I've definitely licensed something I won't/can't use.
    Unfortunately yes.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    Unfortunately yes.
    Bill,

I expected that response from you.

What exactly did I license then?
    Under License Information -> Details -> it says: 86YMRKM0520728E6
    Under VCM Info Log file I see: 86YKUCM0428919GL
    It appears I licensed the 2005 GP tune file, not the ECM itself.

I will not deny that there were several warnings about using credits. Warning verbiage was “this can’t be undone”, “are you sure?” etc. etc.

Those warning, though, caused me to be extra cautious and be sure I was doing the right thing. Everything that I read (in the VCM editor program) made me confident I was doing the right thing. We obviously know now that is not the case.

I bought this product (with the two credits included) from a seller on Amazon. I’ll spare everyone a detailed write up here of my disgust over this situation. Rather, I’ll save it for my soon to be submitted detailed review on Amazon. I feel HPTuners led me down the wrong path and has a very take the money and run/too bad too sad attitude towards their product. This feeling is further evidenced by your snide remark above. You back pedaled regarding the comment by saying “I apologize if you took it that way”, but Bill, let’s be honest, how else can someone take “I'll just leave this here”

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Bill,

I expected that response from you.

What exactly did I license then?
    Under License Information -> Details -> it says: 86YMRKM0520728E6
    Under VCM Info Log file I see: 86YKUCM0428919GL
    It appears I licensed the 2005 GP tune file, not the ECM itself.

I will not deny that there were several warnings about using credits. Warning verbiage was “this can’t be undone”, “are you sure?” etc. etc.

Those warning, though, caused me to be extra cautious and be sure I was doing the right thing. Everything that I read (in the VCM editor program) made me confident I was doing the right thing. We obviously know now that is not the case.

I bought this product (with the two credits included) from a seller on Amazon. I’ll spare everyone a detailed write up here of my disgust over this situation. Rather, I’ll save it for my soon to be submitted detailed review on Amazon. I feel HPTuners led me down the wrong path and has a very take the money and run/too bad too sad attitude towards their product. This feeling is further evidenced by your snide remark above. You back pedaled regarding the comment by saying “I apologize if you took it that way”, but Bill, let’s be honest, how else can someone take “I'll just leave this here”
    Correct, when you license a tune FILE from the repository you are licensing the FILE that came from an ecm, someone else's ecm. Unfortunately licenses cannot be undone.