Thread: Gen 3 bench harness PCM not detected?

Tuner in Training

Gen 3 bench harness PCM not detected?

I seem to be having issues connecting to Gen 3 PCMs with an MPVI2. I have been able to read and log other PCMs so the MPVI2 does seem to work. So far all the Gen 3 PCMs have been via a bench harness that I?ve used successfully before and I?m sure they?re not bricked . I did some searching but hoping to get a sanity check on my bench harness before submitting a ticket to HPtuners. I?ve tried different laptops, cables, power supplies and even Bluetooth but my problem remains and seems to be specific to these Gen3 PCMS. ?Detect protocol failed? is all I?m getting in either VCM app.

Bench harness:
    Gen 3 blue connector and OBD2 DLC
    Powered using a 12v 1a adapter.

PCM pin 19 (pink) to switched 12v

PCM pin 20 and DLC 16 (orange) to 12v constant

PCM pin 59 (or 58 I tried both) and DLC 2 serial together

PCM pin 60 and DLC 4&5 (blk) grounded at power supply

Am I missing something here? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    pin 58 is serial data, looks like wiring is correct

Tuner in Training
    Hey thank you for the reply. I did a bunch more searching and came across this old thread from 2005:

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...harness+tuning

In it, Chris@HPTuners posted some additional pinout info for a Gen3 bench harness. I?m not sure why but after I added the extra pins I am able to communicate with P01 and P59 PCMs with the MPVI2. Just wanted to post this in case it can help others.

Advanced Tuner
    good find, thanks for following up

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by s30.hybrid View Post
    I seem to be having issues connecting to Gen 3 PCMs with an MPVI2. I have been able to read and log other PCMs so the MPVI2 does seem to work. So far all the Gen 3 PCMs have been via a bench harness that I?ve used successfully before and I?m sure they?re not bricked . I did some searching but hoping to get a sanity check on my bench harness before submitting a ticket to HPtuners. I?ve tried different laptops, cables, power supplies and even Bluetooth but my problem remains and seems to be specific to these Gen3 PCMS. ?Detect protocol failed? is all I?m getting in either VCM app.

Bench harness:
    Gen 3 blue connector and OBD2 DLC
    Powered using a 12v 1a adapter.

PCM pin 19 (pink) to switched 12v

PCM pin 20 and DLC 16 (orange) to 12v constant

PCM pin 59 (or 58 I tried both) and DLC 2 serial together

PCM pin 60 and DLC 4&5 (blk) grounded at power supply

Am I missing something here? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    did you ever get it figured out? i have the same issue but with a mvpi 1 and i have no choice but to upgrade. only gen 3 issues but gen 4 or 5 is perfect

Tuner in Training
    Yes I did. The link I posted on 2/12 has the answer (at least that?s what worked for me)