Thread: Help with idle fuel trims and airflow issues!!!!

Help with idle fuel trims and airflow issues!!!!

I have a brian tooley stage 4 cam in an 05 lq4 with a larger 85 mm throttle body and cold air intake the truck runs ok but i just need you guys to take a look and see why the fuel trims are all over the place and if i have my maf dialed in correctly for the supporting mods, it also has long tubes true duals with carven r exhaust e-fans a bigger alternator 3000 stall hughes converter.

Here is the tune currently and the last drive i took with it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]87654[/A19-03-06 21-43-38.hpllsx atlanta tune 3.6.2019.hptTTACH]

Get a wideband o2 sensor and ignore the fuel trims until the MAF and VE are tuned with a wideband. It's not possible to dial this setup in with narrow band sensors. You cam is too aggressive and with the long tubes will be a struggle with narrow bands.

To be honest I'd revert back to the stock OS and apply the 1 bar speed density OS so you can get rid of the secondary VE table. The MAF will still function like normal in a speed density OS. If you don't want to switch back you'll have read up on tuning the secondary table and how it works in speed density.

Also you are going to run out of fuel, those injectors are not big enough and you are asking for way to rich of an air fuel ratio under full throttle. Requesting 11.0 down to 10.5 is way too rich and those small injectors won't be able to flow that much. Even at 12.0-12.5 you will be over 100% duty cycle with the mods you have.

Add your injector pulse width avg for both banks, add your TPS, knock retard, o2 sensor mv's for bank 1 and bank 2
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    so i would halve or reduce your idle underspeed and overspeed corrections.
    your main spark tables do not match your idle spark tables. the ecu can switch back and forth in event of a mechanical issue this would not be good to run upward of 23+ ignition advance like your main tables show.

i see no wideband installed, no cylinder airmass being logged, or injector ms.
    you speak of maf sensor calibration but unfortunately any maf sensor changes you make will not have any effect on fuel corrections because your maf threshold is set to not allow the maf sensor to be actively used until 4000 rpm. This setting is called "High rpm disable". if you want the maf to work at idle then you need to lower this value to 500.
    if you want to keep this recording then make fueling changes to your ve table by removing the fuel trim values from your ve table.
    VE Table Error.PNG

If you want to tune the maf sensor only right now then you need to throw this recording in the trash, make the corrections stated above to the high rpm disable value, and then make a new recording that will give you the correct error values to adjust from.

***i should mention that with cam'd motors 24 lb/hr injectors typically run out of steam on the top end. find yourself a nice set of 42 lb/hr injectors or similar with injector data for an n/a cammed engine.

24 lb/hr stock injectors which your ecu states you have installed:
    24lbhr.PNG
    42 lb/hr injectors i recommend you upgrade to match performance needs and driveability:
    42lbhr.PNG
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Get a wideband o2 sensor and ignore the fuel trims until the MAF and VE are tuned with a wideband. It's not possible to dial this setup in with narrow band sensors. You cam is too aggressive and with the long tubes will be a struggle with narrow bands.

To be honest I'd revert back to the stock OS and apply the 1 bar speed density OS so you can get rid of the secondary VE table. The MAF will still function like normal in a speed density OS. If you don't want to switch back you'll have read up on tuning the secondary table and how it works in speed density.

Also you are going to run out of fuel, those injectors are not big enough and you are asking for way to rich of an air fuel ratio under full throttle. Requesting 11.0 down to 10.5 is way too rich and those small injectors won't be able to flow that much. Even at 12.0-12.5 you will be over 100% duty cycle with the mods you have.

Add your injector pulse width avg for both banks, add your TPS, knock retard, o2 sensor mv's for bank 1 and bank 2
    beat me to it

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    so i would halve or reduce your idle underspeed and overspeed corrections.
    your main spark tables do not match your idle spark tables. the ecu can switch back and forth in event of a mechanical issue this would not be good to run upward of 23+ ignition advance like your main tables show.

i see no wideband installed, no cylinder airmass being logged, or injector ms.
    you speak of maf sensor calibration but unfortunately any maf sensor changes you make will not have any effect on fuel corrections because your maf threshold is set to not allow the maf sensor to be actively used until 4000 rpm. This setting is called "High rpm disable". if you want the maf to work at idle then you need to lower this value to 500.
    if you want to keep this recording then make fueling changes to your ve table by removing the fuel trim values from your ve table.
    VE Table Error.PNG

If you want to tune the maf sensor only right now then you need to throw this recording in the trash, make the corrections stated above to the high rpm disable value, and then make a new recording that will give you the correct error values to adjust from.

***i should mention that with cam'd motors 24 lb/hr injectors typically run out of steam on the top end. find yourself a nice set of 42 lb/hr injectors or similar with injector data for an n/a cammed engine.

24 lb/hr stock injectors which your ecu states you have installed:
    24lbhr.PNG
    42 lb/hr injectors i recommend you upgrade to match performance needs and driveability:
    42lbhr.PNG
    Thats a pretty decent cam close to mine. How accurate will the wideband readings be at idle with that overlap
    Last edited by anniversaryss; 03-10-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

depends on how much you know about trim prids and airflow control systems. it can be decent at idle but i always get some sort of oscillation on the wideband do to the un-avoidable reversion effects.

there are other users way better at idle control than myself, i just know how to get somewhat close from playing on personal vehicles.

Advanced Tuner
    Thats currently what i want to work on. Between injecotormtiming and other idle air/fueling factors. Assuming im headed in the right direction lol
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi