Thread: Looking for a little guidance and a P01 or P59 swap

Looking for a little guidance and a P01 or P59 swap

Hi! I have been researching for days and think I may be headed in the right direction but want get other opinions. I'm working with a 1989 Camaro with a twin turbo SBC 24x conversion, 4l80e trans, and flex fuel. I have a custom harness for my original plan of running a 0411 P01 PCM. When it come time for an operating system I couldn't find a P01 OS that included the 2 bar enhancement with RTT and FLEX FUEL. I happen to have a P59 PCM from a wrecked 2006 truck so I looked there and found that a 2003 Express offered 2 bar RTT, flex fuel and 4l80.

I know my harness does not plug into the P59 without changing the Blue or Red plastic pieces but otherwise are the 2 PCMs pinned the same? I guess I just need a little guidance from someone who has swapped from P01 to P59. Also, will I be able to flash the older OS from 2003 into a 2006 PCM? I'm unsure what OS is in it now but I do know its DBW and my car has a cable.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated, without it I may end up wasting credits trying to use a system that's not gonna work.

Thanks,
    Dewayne.

Check this site for pinout information. Yes there is a few things different that you will have to change for sure.

http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

As far as flashing a 2003 file into a 2006 computer is concerned, we can just say that it can be done.

Here is a major thing though, the 2006 computer must have the IAC drivers on the circuit board otherwise it will not control the IAC/TPS properly. The P59's in the vans are drive by cable but the circuit board were made to have it, so some P59's even in DBW trucks will have it as well.

It'll cost you several credits to use HP Tuners because of all the licensing you'd be doing. Your other option is to use a dealership tool to flash in the file you want (if the computer board supports it), then just license that file once. Or find a P59 drive by cable van computer.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I didn't even think about the IAC drivers but I remember seeing somewhere a while back a photo showing what to look for on the board. I'll have to check into that.

The RTT part is not a have to but I do remember tuning a 01 Vette and it sure was nice to get it roughed in without rewriting so many times.

Thanks for the help!

I found a salvage yard with a 2003 Express 2500 yesterday and they are shipping me the PCM. I stressed to the guy I needed that PCM and not just one his system shows to be compatible, we shall see.

Advanced Tuner
    https://www.mrk-motorsports.com/gm-iac-pcms/

Has a list of which service numbers have the IAC drivers.

I have the car up and running but still have a lot of tuning to do. I'm running a 2 bar MAP with the 2 bar SD enhancement on a P59 PCM. I took a short road test over the weekend just to get a little data, wasn't really trying to make a good hit just yet but did give it enough to see around 6lbs of boost on my A pillar gauge. When reviewing the log I noticed I wasn't getting and MAP above 105kpa. Today I hooked back up for some KOEO testing using the MAP volts. With the key on I show 2.29 Volts and 102KPA. I used an air pressure regulator to slowly apply pressure to the MAP sensor and watched the volts climb to 5 but the KPA never went above 105. It has got to be something simple but I can't figure this out. Also I have yet to get injector duty cycle to log.

Attached (hopefully) is my tune, Layout, and 2 logs. The log titled First Hit is shortened to just the area I was in boost. The one Titled MAP Test is where I was watching MAP volts, it actually starts around 22 seconds in.

I know I still have a lot of tuning to do but I really need some help getting MAP reading in boost.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Try removing the SAE MAP channel and re-poll parameters and add the 2bar MAP channel.
    Should get you fixed up

1 bar map channels only read to 1 bar in this application/computer.

Remove the channel and replace it with the 2 bar map channel.

You have to log the injector pulse width to make duty cycle work.

Adjust your linear or offset value to make the key on engine off map kpa reading read what it would be at your altitude. 102kpa would like if you lived under the sea.

Your tune is locked, says part of a remote tuning network.

Even with that I do see something you must take action on right away. I can't see the boost you hit but I can see that when it went above 105kpa it was still commanded stoich. You don't really want to hit boost and still be requesting 14.68 afr.

Get your power enrichment and boost enrichment tables setup correctly, otherwise you may hurt the engine if you do that more than a few times.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I'm not sure why its locked or why its showing anything about remote tuning, this is all me. I was looking at the remote section the other day, guess I hit something by mistake.
    I noticed the stoich issue, just haven't made it that far.

I knew it was something simple, just one of those many things I didn't know.

Thanks for the help!

It should be unlocked now.. maybe.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Dewayne Smith; 02-11-2019 at 10:12 PM.