Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making WOT shifts faster, any tips

Making WOT shifts faster, any tips

Can anyone share some tips on increasing WOT shift speeds? Whether it is the 6R180, 10R80, 6F55, etc... doesn't matter. I'm just looking for some pointers on what settings I should focus on to make the shifts faster/crisper.

My 2014 SHO had the 6F55 and the WOT shifts were always fine. But the 6F55 in the 2017 Fusion Sport and in the 2018 Explorer XLT seem to have trouble with the WOT 1-2 and 2-3. It's taking longer than it should.

Advanced Tuner
    Subscribed. I want faster shifts that dont cause any additional wear, is this possible? I dont care about smoothness at WOT lol...

Higher pressure takes time to build.

Are you recommending that the shift pressures be reduced at WOT? What are the drawbacks to doing this on a high torque application? Increased clutch wear?

Advanced Tuner
    I know that raising pressure can require an increase in times and lowering it can allow a decrease.. Can't we quicken the shifts with the stock pressures because maybe the stock tune is super safe with times???

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    I know that raising pressure can require an increase in times and lowering it can allow a decrease. Can't we quicken the shifts with the stock pressures because maybe the stock tune is super safe with times???
    ive had success using the slip tables but nothing really worth it. Does anyone know of a way to calculate shift time?

Tuner in Training
    look at a 2018+ 5.0 GT file. look at the drag mode settings. that alone will help tremendously

Where are the drag mode settings located? I looked all around a 2018 GT Auto file and couldn't see anything directly related to Drag Mode.
    Last edited by metroplex; 02-20-2019 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    Where are the drag mode settings located? I looked all around a 2018 GT Auto file and couldn't see anything directly related to Drag Mode.
    [ECM] 20044 - Shift Character Configuration (Shift Map vs. SST Mode): This table represents the desired shift character for a given shift map and sst mode.

Set to 2

Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    [ECM] 20044 - Shift Character Configuration (Shift Map vs. SST Mode): This table represents the desired shift character for a given shift map and sst mode.

Set to 2
    I'm looking at the only 2018 GT auto in the repository with the latest beta, and I can't find ECM 20044. What file are you using??

That 2018 file from Repo is a demo file Eric posted some time ago - it's not being updated so you can forget about it.

OK, I found some 2019 and 2018 files in the forums. Thanks for letting me know.
    Last edited by metroplex; 02-25-2019 at 04:45 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    OK, I found some 2019 and 2018 files in the forums. Thanks for letting me know.
    You getting anything from this? I am not really seeing anything I can use to make sense of the older transmissions. Apples to Oranges? lol.

They arent very helpful. Drag mode settings aren't readily visible to me in terms of boost times or element pressure etc

Advanced Tuner
    Are you recommending that the shift pressures be reduced at WOT? What are the drawbacks to doing this on a high torque application? Increased clutch wear?
    No, it means you start building pressure earlier, from what i understand that is what the clutch fill time tables are for, you set the times too long and it will build the pressure before clutch fill time is over and you end up having a short shift, you set them too low and you end up shifting before it reaches the pressure and you en up having a flared shift.

look for murfies threads on 6r80 transmission tuning there are a lot of good tuning info on them

I've read his threads and printed them out, but still had trouble linking his info with what settings to change. A short shift or flared shift doesn't seem like what I'm looking to do. I need a faster 1-2 and 2-3 WOT shift on the 6F55. My shift points seem fine even with shorter clutch fill times, the torque truncation seems to have to stay enabled otherwise weird things happen - like on the 6F55 where the WOT points almost always banged against the revlimiter in 1-2 and 2-3 regardless of what point I set.

It's still very inconsistent on my 2018 Explorer. I watched a GoPro video I recorded of my 2014 SHO at the dragstrip and that 6F55, by far, shifted amazingly fast and I never had to touch any of its settings. Somehow, Ford went backwards with the same transmission several years later.

Maybe you have mechanical problem.

It happens on both the 2017 Fusion Sport and 2018 Explorer. I could understand one vehicle behaving this way but not both.

Post some logs with that slow shifting of yours.