Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making WOT shifts faster, any tips

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    It's still very inconsistent on my 2018 Explorer. I watched a GoPro video I recorded of my 2014 SHO at the dragstrip and that 6F55, by far, shifted amazingly fast and I never had to touch any of its settings. Somehow, Ford went backwards with the same transmission several years later.
    I've seen much faster shifts than our 6R80s. I'm starting to believe it's not possible based on people's comments here - there are threads where they say they can make it firmer but not really quick. I think some have achieved the illusion of quicker by holding onto the offgoing clutch longer but that's not really quicker from command to complete now is it?

I may do some experimentation with low throttle quickness just to see what can be done. Making the upshifts quicker would also be awesome!

If someone could give us some do not exceed values of the tune we could learn more. Come on guys the 6r80 is becoming old news now that the 10r80 is out....

Potential Tuner
    I figured it out on my car last week, but not sure how anymore (should have wrote it down). I have a 2012 CTS with a v6. Coming from a muscle car background and new to tuning - I wanted them same. My car is stock and chirps 2nd and sometimes 3rd now. I SWEAR I found a table somewhere in HP Tuners that said "Shift Delay" which had a value of ~ 0.2 (seconds), and I changed it to 0.0 - that's what made it go from shifting hard to actually chirping the tires.

I saw this post and now I can't find that table. The closest thing I can find is: Trans > Shift Timing > Upshift > Transition Time > Initial(normal or special). This may be it, but that's not what I remember.. Please lmk if you find what im talking about.

I have upped my pressures to compensate for the instant shift, just like a shift kit would do for transmissions back in the day.

The 6F55 doesn't have that table.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gthomps2 View Post
    I figured it out on my car last week, but not sure how anymore (should have wrote it down). I have a 2012 CTS with a v6. Coming from a muscle car background and new to tuning - I wanted them same. My car is stock and chirps 2nd and sometimes 3rd now. I SWEAR I found a table somewhere in HP Tuners that said "Shift Delay" which had a value of ~ 0.2 (seconds), and I changed it to 0.0 - that's what made it go from shifting hard to actually chirping the tires.

I saw this post and now I can't find that table. The closest thing I can find is: Trans > Shift Timing > Upshift > Transition Time > Initial(normal or special). This may be it, but that's not what I remember.. Please lmk if you find what im talking about.

I have upped my pressures to compensate for the instant shift, just like a shift kit would do for transmissions back in the day.
    You're comparing apples to oranges sir. GMs are just lowering delays to 0, any 'tooner' can do it :P . Fords are like if you change the wrong thing your trans is gone.

Because 6R80-era transmission are adaptive thus you can't change the actual shift time directly. Nobody is using adaptive logic anymore because it sucks.