Thread: Unlicensed Vehicle Help

Tuner in Training

Unlicensed Vehicle Help

Hi all! I'm having a bit of trouble flashing a file to my car. I'm still working with HP Support to try and solve it, but was hoping maybe someone here might have some insight too.

Currently car is stock. It's a European 2017 Mustang GT. I'm trying to write a Ford Performance Power Pack 2 file i received from a member on this forum.

So, i tried loading the file onto the car, but it kept saying "unlicensed vehicle" after i clicked "write". But it never prompted me to use more credits. At this point i contacted HP Support and they said i needed another 2 credits for the file. Ok, i purchased another 2 credits, but i kept getting the same "unlicensed vehicle" after i clicked write. It never prompted me to use the other 2 credits i had.

I then though maybe its an incompatible year or some thing along those lines. So i found through here another member who had the exact same year and model as mine with a Power Pack 2 file. I tried to flash that file, and this time it prompted me to use credits as it said the file wasn't licensed. I used them, but again, as soon i click "write" it says "unlicensed vehicle", but again it doesn't prompt me to use any credits!

So now what? I have compared the my stock calibration against the one i was sent and everything is the same except the OS. Mine is HR3A-14C204-UD, and the one i was sent is MGMPJ56.

Anyone able to help?
    I have attached my stock file, PP2 file, and VCM Info in case anyone here has any insight.

Thanks!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

You can get a perfect like stock drive-ability with your stock OS - no need to change. There's nothing special about PP2 OS.

More to say you just can't upload US system into EU computer bacause you can brick it. Even the pin-out form ECU is different.

Tuner in Training
    Are you sure about the difference of pin out? The ecu hardware numbers are the same. Not saying you?re wrong, just need to be absolutely sure myself.

I don?t really want the OS, just want the PP2 calibration. I?m sure there?s nothing special about the OS, but the calibration has the best drive-ability with GT350 throttle body. From the research I?ve been doing it?s the best map out there with that throttle body, plus I want the no lift shift strategy. Everyone that has the PP2 calibration loves it!

Tuner in Training OverNightPartsFromJapan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Are you sure about the difference of pin out? The ecu hardware numbers are the same. Not saying you?re wrong, just need to be absolutely sure myself.

I don?t really want the OS, just want the PP2 calibration. I?m sure there?s nothing special about the OS, but the calibration has the best drive-ability with GT350 throttle body. From the research I?ve been doing it?s the best map out there with that throttle body, plus I want the no lift shift strategy. Everyone that has the PP2 calibration loves it!
    Hey bud, went through the same thing myself last week. No matter what i tried it said "unlicensed vehicle" even if i tried to flash back to my stock tune. You are now at the point where you need to "read" the tune back you flashed. It should let you read it, and Then it will return it back to your with your vin. It will ask you to save it, THEN flash that tune back on and thats when it will prompt for the credits to be used. Good luck man.

I can make GT350 TB drive like stock with any OS - some say this TB is hard to tune. IMHO it's not.

If you try to load the US tune into EU PCM it may brick it in worst case scenario.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by OverNightPartsFromJapan View Post
    Hey bud, went through the same thing myself last week. No matter what i tried it said "unlicensed vehicle" even if i tried to flash back to my stock tune. You are now at the point where you need to "read" the tune back you flashed. It should let you read it, and Then it will return it back to your with your vin. It will ask you to save it, THEN flash that tune back on and thats when it will prompt for the credits to be used. Good luck man.
    ?????? Sorry man not following you. Can you clarify that a bit for me? Thanks loads for the help though!!

?????? Sorry man not following you. Can you clarify that a bit for me? Thanks loads for the help though!!
    So currently, do you have the stock file flashed on to the car, and if so, is it licensed?

I was under the impression you had already flashed the tune you wanted on there and it was saying unlicensed vehicle.

If you have not flashed anything you will first need to license your stock tune, (2 credits) then flash the tune you want on (2 credits) then read that tune back and it will now have your vin attached, and flash it again (2 more credits). This is only if you absolutely have to swap strategies otherwise you could open the tune your friend gave you and copy all of the settings over to your stock tune.

Tuner in Training
    Got it! Progress! It now no longer says "unlicensed vehicle". It does now say however "write even though operating system ID's are different"
    What are the chances of it going horribly wrong?

Got it! Progress! It now no longer says "unlicensed vehicle". It does now say however "write even though operating system ID's are different"
    What are the chances of it going horribly wrong?
    i do not recall it giving me that warning, it may have and i didnt notice. My car is a 13 using a 12's file. I'm not sure what the chances of anything going wrong for you would be, you said your car is an EU car right? Do you know of anyone using the file you're trying to flash? Is it an EU tune as well?

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, EU car but the tune comes from a US car. I do recall a forum member with an EU car from another forum having done it, but i'm not sure how, and i can't find who it was for the life of me.

Make sure ECU part numbers are compatible before flashing. Make sure to write entire.
    I have flashed different files and they cause a no start or rough engine but a write entire with the correct OS solved it, didn't brick.
    An aborted write entire bricks them for sure, I once had an issue with .NET framework and it bricked like 3 of those when write entire failed. Updated .NET and it solved the issue.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Ok, so as long as everything else matches, and i write entire everything should be fine? As long as i don't abort.