Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: '15 Cruze Turbo - Why can't I get my boost to turn up?

Tuner

'15 Cruze Turbo - Why can't I get my boost to turn up?

Greetings,

So, I have been playing around with hptuners all week... cannot seem to get my boost to turn up at all. I have been reading and reading and reading, but I cannot find anything definitive to tell me where my boost is being limited at. It's more aggressive, but boost is still frikkin stock (12-14 psi).

Can someone please give me a hand? I know these forums are pretty much dead unless you are tuning a v8, but there has to be someone here who knows what's up.

Attached are my logs and my current tune. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    its all in the torque management settings
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Tuning/page11 - read up on this thread it will help you up
    post 221 has numbers ive used and have worked. the idea is to not max out and get to carried away with the torque management settings because the ecm uses it for torque calculations also so i doesn't take much to achieve the desired results
    Last edited by TCSS07; 02-14-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    its all in the torque management settings
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Tuning/page11 - read up on this thread it will help you up
    post 221 has numbers ive used and have worked. the idea is to not max out and get to carried away with the torque management settings because the ecm uses it for torque calculations also so i doesn't take much to achieve the desired results
    For sure. I played around with some timing and got a couple of lbs of boost vs where I was (150 kPa, then 170ish kPa, then 181 kPa, now sitting at 231 when it peaks, but obviously I don't want to run it that hard, and there is kr).

Attached is my datalog. Maybe you could give me some pointers based on the log and my tune?

Advanced Tuner
    you need to add a few more things to your logs like rear o2,maf Hz and iat2(air charge temps)
    gm has these cars run super hot imo and granted i understand its for fuel economy however the plastic gm uses on these cars are not heat friendly so id drop down the ect down to 194 and play with the fans to keep it around that temp but thats me.
    disable p0101,p0121,p0106 and the p0068 tests - min ect to 493 and enable rpm to 8k - i would also disable the post 02 test and catalyst test because it can do weird things and command weird afrs whenever it wants
    i run maf only instead of ve just because i don't care to deal with the coefficients and get yourself a wideband o2 sensor so you can tune wot afr
    the link i posted has the info in it to stop boost limiting for you so just follow that guide for that
    for pe - drop the delay rpm down to 2k and drop the torque from 100% down to 0 and delay step table all to 0, drop the pedal enable down to 60% and set the pe ratio to 1.201 (stoich/afr commanded which for you is 14.13/11.76=1.201) across the board and when you get a wideband you can tune your maf chart to read what afr your commanding - thats the correct way to do it, set the ramp in and ramp out to 1.0 and disable knock enrichment. if you still a converter installed your going to want to leave the cot and id leave the turbo over temp protection on for now. you can disable them during tuning so it doesn't mess with your afr and keep them off if you want like i would or at least put the turbo over temp back on but thats your call
    leave spark alone for now until you get a wideband so you can get the afr correct - everyone has their own ways of tuning. for me i dont like to use any spark correction tables for positive spark advance so i would disable the iat,ect,fuel/gas(afr wot spark adder), humidity, flex fuel(since i dont run e85) so my timing is set just off the high octane spark table but again thats me
    spark retard - disable burst knock and static retard and for knock retard recovery rate from 2k to 8k i made it .500 and went up .100 up to the 0 rpm i think 0 was a .9 500 was a .8 and so on
    again for the boost limit issue just follow the link i posted and lower the boost down to 215kpa max the little turbo on these cars don't do well past that
    Last edited by TCSS07; 02-14-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Tuner
    Awesome. At least I have a starting point. Thanks a bunch. I will toy with it and post up my next dl.

Tuner
    you need to add a few more things to your logs like rear o2,maf Hz and iat2(air charge temps)
    gm has these cars run super hot imo and granted i understand for fuel economy however the plastic gm uses on these cars are not heat friendly so id drop down the ect down to 194 and play with the fans to keep it around that temp but thats me.
    disable p0101,p0121,p0106 and the p0068 tests - min ect to 493 and enable rpm to 8k - i would also disable the post 02 test and catalyst test because it can do weird things and command weird afrs whenever it wants
    i run maf only instead of ve just because i don't care to deal with the coefficients and get yourself a wideband o2 sensor so you can tune wot afr
    the link i posted has the info in it to stop boost limiting for you so just follow that guide for that
    for pe - drop the delay rpm down to 2k and drop the 100% down to 0 and delay step table all to 0, drop the pedal enable down to 60% and set the pe ratio to 1.201 (stoich/afr commanded which for you is 14.13/11.76=1.201) across the board and when you get a wideband you can tune your maf chart to read what afr your commanded - thats the correct way to do it, set the ramp in and ramp out to 1.0 and disable knock enrichment. if you still a converter installed your going to want to leave the cot and id leave the turbo over temp protection on for now. you can disable them during tuning so it doesn't mess with your afr and keep them off if you want like i would or at least turbo the turbo over temp back on but thats your call
    leave spark alone for now until you get a wideband so you can get the afr correct - everyone has their own ways of tuning. for me i do like to use any spark correction tables for positive spark advance so i would disable the iat,ect,fuel/gas(afr wot spark adder), humidity, flex fuel(since i dont run e85) so my timing is set just off the high octane spark table but again thats me
    spark retard - disable burst knock and static retard and for knock retard recovery rate from 2k to 8k i made it .500 and went up .100 up to the 0 rpm i think 0 was a .9 500 was a .8 and so on
    again for the boost limit issue just follow the link i posted and lower the boost down to 215kpa max the little turbo on these cars don't do well past that
    which pid would it be for the rear o2?

Tuner
    o id drop down the ect down to 194 and play with the fans to keep it around that temp
    There are a f*** tonne of options for ect. which one?

Advanced Tuner
    02 sensor b1s2 sae
    you seem to be running a little rich also which isnt bad better rich than lean lol
    whenever you flash a calibration always reset fuel trims and drive around for like 10 min or so and reset them again because you get wired data sometimes after a flash due to heat soak

desired ect - it will then default to the fan calibration for 194 and just play with the settings to keep it around 195-205
    Last edited by TCSS07; 02-14-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Tuner
    02 sensor b1s2 sae
    you seem to be running a little rich also which isnt bad better rich than lean lol
    whenever you flash a calibration always reset fuel trims and drive around for like 10 min or so and reset them again because you get wired data sometimes after a flash due to heat soak

desired ect - it will then default to the fan calibration for 194 and just play with the settings to keep it around 195-205
    Word. How is this looking? I am about to flash it and do a log. Sorry if I seem like a dummy. GMs are crazy compared to tuning a b16 in a honda with crome. haha. I really appreciate your help.

Advanced Tuner
    no worries. temp change is good. you didnt disable the tests under engine diag but thats no big deal right now but do that later. forgot to mention maf only mode you need to set dynamic airflow high rpm disable to 200 and re-enable to 100 if you were going to
    forgot to change the enrichment rate - change that to 1.0 for ramp in and ramp out and set knock enrichment enable temp to 493 but just take it one step at a time until you get further comfortable with it and always save a new file so you always have a good working back up to fall back on in case the car didn't like the change and you forgot what you did lol
    Last edited by TCSS07; 02-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Tuner
    no worries. temp change is good. you didnt disable the tests under engine diag but thats no big deal right now but do that later. forgot to mention maf only mode you need to set dynamic airflow high rpm disable to 200 and re-enable to 100 if you were going to
    forgot to change the enrichment rate - change that to 1.0 for ramp in and ramp out and set knock enrichment enable temp to 493 but just take it one step at a time until you get further comfortable with it and always save a new file so you always have a good working back up to fall back on in case the car didn't like the change and you forgot what you did lol
    ok. I don't see knock enrich. enable temp, but I think I am closer to what you are suggesting.

Advanced Tuner
    much closer - still need to disable those tests under the engine diag airflow and exhaust tabs mainly to just avoid any possible reduce engine power issue
    knock enrichment is in the power enrich tab on the right hand side just set the enable ect to 493 stock is 140 - the other thing you'll want to also disable when you get the wideband is piston protection under fuel/temp control, sorry forgot that one earlier, it adds fuel and would also screw with the afr - same tab is cot and turbo over temp
    stilll need to make a few changes to the spark retard for burst knock and recovery and will probably need to still tweak the torque management to fine tune to boost but your on the right track
    now that your in maf only youll just need to make a histogram that mirrors how the maf is set up in the editor/tune file and plot fuel trims and make your adjustments to the maf to bring the trims closer. shoot for ltft of -5%

Tuner
    much closer - still need to disable those tests under the engine diag airflow and exhaust tabs mainly to just avoid any possible reduce engine power issue
    knock enrichment is in the power enrich tab on the right hand side just set the enable ect to 493 stock is 140 - the other thing you'll want to also disable when you get the wideband is piston protection under fuel/temp control, sorry forgot that one earlier, it adds fuel and would also screw with the afr - same tab is cot and turbo over temp
    stilll need to make a few changes to the spark retard for burst knock and recovery and will probably need to still tweak the torque management to fine tune to boost but your on the right track
    now that your in maf only youll just need to make a histogram that mirrors how the maf is set up in the editor/tune file and plot fuel trims and make your adjustments to the maf to bring the trims closer. shoot for ltft of -5%
    For sure. I am going to test it tomorrow morning. It's all wet out here right now. Just looking at it, my tune as it stands does not look dangerous, and it actually drives very well. With the v4 tune I posted, it's very easy to drive, but if I put my foot into it at 3200 or so it kicks ass. I am excited to see what these changes you have helped me with will do.

Again, your help is incredibly appreciated. It's so hard to find info on this stuff, and usually it's focused on v8 (n/a or boosted). Hopefully this thread will end up helping others that are wanting to tune their vehicle, too.

Tuner
    here are my logs from the other day. It feels really good but I just want someone elses opinion

Advanced Tuner
    [QUOTE
    Again, your help is incredibly appreciated. It's so hard to find info on this stuff, and usually it's focused on v8 (n/a or boosted). Hopefully this thread will end up helping others that are wanting to tune their vehicle, too. [/QUOTE]

You obviously didn't do a "search" through threads on tuning the Cruze. Their are several threads on tuning this platform that go pretty far in depth. Hell I believe on of those threads is over 20 pages long!! The info is on this forum if you search for it.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by KLUG'S SS View Post
    [QUOTE
    Again, your help is incredibly appreciated. It's so hard to find info on this stuff, and usually it's focused on v8 (n/a or boosted). Hopefully this thread will end up helping others that are wanting to tune their vehicle, too.

You obviously didn't do a "search" through threads on tuning the Cruze. Their are several threads on tuning this platform that go pretty far in depth. Hell I believe on of those threads is over 20 pages long!! The info is on this forum if you search for it.[/QUOTE]

Actually I did. Read it and others multiple times. Having more than one thread on such a complex subject never hurts. I assume you don't have anything constructive to add?

Advanced Tuner
    Yea sure. For one thing in your WOT-9 log I looked at I see where your tune is only commanding about 14 psi at wot, assume you know that and need to figure out why? Need to be logging several other PIDs in your logs to help you figure out why it's only commanding what it's commanding for boost. Looks like your commanded and actual boost are matching up so that's a battle you don't have to fight, which is an easy resolution to that problem too. With these cars and that tiny inefficient factory turbo not much point in shooting for much more than 18-19 psi. They won't make much more power while just pushing the IATs hotter than the seventh layer of hell.
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Tuner
    Yea sure. For one thing in your WOT-9 log I looked at I see where your tune is only commanding about 14 psi at wot, assume you know that and need to figure out why? Need to be logging several other PIDs in your logs to help you figure out why it's only commanding what it's commanding for boost. Looks like your commanded and actual boost are matching up so that's a battle you don't have to fight, which is an easy resolution to that problem too. With these cars and that tiny inefficient factory turbo not much point in shooting for much more than 18-19 psi. They won't make much more power while just pushing the IATs hotter than the seventh layer of hell.
    OK. I'll dig through and see what I changed from the tune that commanded around 18 psi. I had it there but pulled it back because I felt I wasn't logging the right pids.

What other pids would you recommend to hunt this down?

Advanced Tuner
    I can have you use a channel configuration of mine I can email you. I just looked at your tune file and I have a good idea why you are only commanding the boost you are....
    2017 Silverado LTZ

Tuner
    I can have you use a channel configuration of mine I can email you. I just looked at your tune file and I have a good idea why you are only commanding the boost you are....
    Yes to both. There is just so much info out there and so many variables that can control this that I want to take kit easy and be sure I know what is happening and why.