Thread: 2017 C7 Z06 tune needed

2017 C7 Z06 tune needed

Does anybody have a base tune for a C7 Z06 for headers. I need to fix my air to fuel ratio because of adding headers. Does anybody have a base tune they can send me so I can get rid of the engine light and make sure the air to fuel ratio is right.

Have you thought about learning to do that yourself through research, reading, teaching, learning, etc?

teach a man to fish vs give a man a fish, right?

do you have any specific questions remaining after reading the forum, using the search function, examining your current tune and reading the descriptions for each table?

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    as higgs mentioned, for a basic mod. very simple to adjust your fueling. is your headers LT catted or none?
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

I know the basics but not super knowledgable, dont want to mess anything up so thought it would be best to ask, but seems like every forums has people like you who would rather take the time to tell someone to go learn that actually help. Using this forum I havn't really found any anwsers to what im looking for, but thank you for your input.

I have long tube headers no cats.

The answers are there if you know what to look for. When you don't understand how these computers function or just GM's overall tuning goes, then it will make it hard to find your answers.

For some this is their business and others just a hobby, so they had to put in the time for many many years to get used to new and improving technology to stay on top of their game.

Code stuff and o2 sensor test stuff is simple, you can disable that stuff in the engine diag tabs under exhaust and DTC's. Some codes are permanent and won't clear for a while or ever depending on the fault.

Invest in a wideband o2 sensor and read up on air fuel ratio tuning (lambda tuning). You are picking the hardest computer to learn on, so it's going to take a while to get things down.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormtroopervette View Post
    I know the basics but not super knowledgable, dont want to mess anything up so thought it would be best to ask, but seems like every forums has people like you who would rather take the time to tell someone to go learn that actually help. Using this forum I havn't really found any anwsers to what im looking for, but thank you for your input.
    I think you mean people like me who would rather teach you than just give you free work, especially work that we have spent 6 years learning and perfecting ourselves, what makes you so special that you should just receive all of that work for free just because you bought an HPT interface? Honestly, man, that makes no sense at all.

With that said, using this forum and not finding the answers you are looking for is one thing, starting a thread to ask for free tunes vs actually asking the questions you haven't found the answers to is another thing....

So, what are the questions for which you are seeking answers? We are here to help you learn.

Otherwise, there is a tune repository on your home page where you can download tunes.

Advanced Tuner
    All the info is here, you should start by logging your car with the new setup at idle and part throttle at least, correct fueling using o2sensors if you dont have wideband at the moment, scan for fault codes so you can delete or address the problem.

The corvette community is not as big as mustang and camaro community so its hard to find info even on the corvette forums, there is just not that many people that have done things so it hard to get anwsers. That said the codes are going to easy to get rid of, I am ordering a wideband (AEM X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge with OBDII Connectivity) and will log the car once I have that installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
    I think you mean people like me who would rather teach you than just give you free work, especially work that we have spent 6 years learning and perfecting ourselves, what makes you so special that you should just receive all of that work for free just because you bought an HPT interface? Honestly, man, that makes no sense at all.

With that said, using this forum and not finding the answers you are looking for is one thing, starting a thread to ask for free tunes vs actually asking the questions you haven't found the answers to is another thing....

So, what are the questions for which you are seeking answers? We are here to help you learn.

Otherwise, there is a tune repository on your home page where you can download tunes.
    Fair enough, I have a few questions for you then... So I already ordered the HPtuners tuner, and getting the codes go away is the easy part. I also ordered wideband (AEM X-Series Wideband UEGO AFR Sensor Controller Gauge with OBDII Connectivity). Now since i ordered the wideband where will i be installing the O2 reader, I have catless headers so does it even matter where I install them? Also when fixing my AFR what should I try and set it to. How will I know what the AFR should be with headers. Is this something I need to look up and find or is this something im going to have to log and figure out and find what AFR I should be at.

Quote Originally Posted by castorjames View Post
    All the info is here, you should start by logging your car with the new setup at idle and part throttle at least, correct fueling using o2sensors if you dont have wideband at the moment, scan for fault codes so you can delete or address the problem.
    ordered wide band, thank you!

Advanced Tuner
    Now since i ordered the wideband where will i be installing the O2 reader, if your exhaust only has provisions for the 2 front 02s you will need to add another o2s bung for the WB, WB installation instructions should have some reccomendations on location of the sensor.
    Also when fixing my AFR what should I try and set it to your idle and part throttle commanded AFR should be the same, but you need to recalibrate fueling so the wb reading matches the ecm requested fueling, you may shoot for different AFR at WOT tho

Quote Originally Posted by castorjames View Post
    Now since i ordered the wideband where will i be installing the O2 reader, if your exhaust only has provisions for the 2 front 02s you will need to add another o2s bung for the WB, WB installation instructions should have some reccomendations on location of the sensor.
    Also when fixing my AFR what should I try and set it to your idle and part throttle commanded AFR should be the same, but you need to recalibrate fueling so the wb reading matches the ecm requested fueling, you may shoot for different AFR at WOT tho
    I will add....

Install your wideband in your rear driver side O2 sensor bung. Since you are no longer running cats you no longer need the rear O2 sensors. Pull them out and turn them off and their codes. If you do not have two bung plugs then just leave the driver side installed if you want.

Firsts rule of tuning AFR is do not tune to AFR, use Lambda. Set your wideband to Lambda and your Scanner pids to lambda. At part throttle and idle the ECM targets Lambda 1.0 using your narrowband O2 sensors to correct fueling back to lambda 1.0 through Fuel Trims. Therefore your wideband will show 1.0 in closed loop even if your airflow model is off and you have large fuel trims. You want to correct the airflow models (MAF and VVE) to 0% fuel trims (technically -5%).

At WOT (PE Fueling) you should target .8 lambda then enrich or lean out the mixture from there depending on what makes best power for your car. Don't forget to turn off CoT (Cat OverTemp Protection) since you have no cats.

Tuner in Training
    Does anybody have a base tune for a C7 Z06 for headers. I need to fix my air to fuel ratio because of adding headers. Does anybody have a base tune they can send me so I can get rid of the engine light and make sure the air to fuel ratio is right.
    if i had it, i would have emailed it to you already. Its easiest to learn things when you can compare and see where they are different.

one thing i learned a long time ago, run away from people who will mock you for not learning on your own, as if their time is precious, but they have time to ridicule you that you cant just learn on your own in the blink of an eye what has taken them years to understand.

If and when you need help on something i can assist with, I will reach out. As far as tuning for headers, you might give it a shot trying to drive without the aftermarket tune, and just get some 90 degree big daddy sims and keep the stock tune. Then you get to keep your warranty. That would be my next step, and if that does not work, then maybe by then you will bump into someone who has time to teach instead of ridicule. Rest assured, you are in the top 1% of ambitious vette owners, most cant even find this forum nor care to, if they need a tune, they just to to a shop and shell out some money to a guy who hopefully knows what he is doing, and they never get to see or understand the tune.

You meanwhile, are interested in learning... which is why you are asking to see the tune so you can understand it... so you are at the top of the class, don't let the snobs ruin your day. I have a feeling you would also be more than glad to pay any one of them for it and for their time. Careful, the wise ones will blame you next for not offering money instead of blame themselves for responding with "whats in it for me " and allowing you to offer up something in return.

Let the folks with their secret prestigious knowledge, not be the ones who profit from fair trade of goods with you here. Instead, let them take pleasure that their time is far better used elsewhere and you are rude for even assuming anyone here would be willing to do the work for you in return for a fair trade of monetary compensation, or worse yet... for free. Better to pay someone else... who's time is not so valuable as those here.
    Last edited by irun4cops; 02-17-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Senior Tuner
    I'll add one thing to what has already been said. With your wideband installed log Equivalent Ratio Commanded (SAE). Select Lambda for units so you will know stock Lambda values. When you run a log try to match these values first. You can adjust from there to dial in for maximum power. With headers and no cats it will most like be somewhat lean. Adjust the stock MAF frequency table higher a couple % for safety from about 6000 Hz and up to start. I would also lower the pedal position where it goes into PE sooner for safety too. From your stock 70% down to maybe 40-50%.

Tuner in Training
    i did not mention in my first post, the reason why the stock tune may be able to carry you is due to the COT protection, where the car runs rich. Once your car is warmed up, By the time you switch into 3rd gear while under WOT, your car is usually hot enough COT is active. This extra fuel causes the car to have normal AFR with catless headers or catless mid pipes, so you may be okay. The thing to do is go ahead and mount the wideband o2 sensor as mentioned above, and then just document what is going on in real time. If the car runs lean, keep in mind you still have knock protection on the engine itself. But my experience is, you will be just right. The car does not actually measure cat temp, it is a calculated temp. Thus, you can keep your warranty and still see the HP gains as the extra COT fuel is met with extra air flow. You will still need the big daddy o2 sims.

Quote Originally Posted by irun4cops View Post
    if i had it, i would have emailed it to you already. Its easiest to learn things when you can compare and see where they are different.

one thing i learned a long time ago, run away from people who will mock you for not learning on your own, as if their time is precious, but they have time to ridicule you that you cant just learn on your own in the blink of an eye what has taken them years to understand.

If and when you need help on something i can assist with, I will reach out. As far as tuning for headers, you might give it a shot trying to drive without the aftermarket tune, and just get some 90 degree big daddy sims and keep the stock tune. Then you get to keep your warranty. That would be my next step, and if that does not work, then maybe by then you will bump into someone who has time to teach instead of ridicule. Rest assured, you are in the top 1% of ambitious vette owners, most cant even find this forum nor care to, if they need a tune, they just to to a shop and shell out some money to a guy who hopefully knows what he is doing, and they never get to see or understand the tune.

You meanwhile, are interested in learning... which is why you are asking to see the tune so you can understand it... so you are at the top of the class, don't let the snobs ruin your day. I have a feeling you would also be more than glad to pay any one of them for it and for their time. Careful, the wise ones will blame you next for not offering money instead of blame themselves for responding with "whats in it for me " and allowing you to offer up something in return.

Let the folks with their secret prestigious knowledge, not be the ones who profit from fair trade of goods with you here. Instead, let them take pleasure that their time is far better used elsewhere and you are rude for even assuming anyone here would be willing to do the work for you in return for a fair trade of monetary compensation, or worse yet... for free. Better to pay someone else... who's time is not so valuable as those here.
    Thank you, my thoughts exactly, im just learning all this stuff about tuning but I'd rather get a tune and learn vs doing it all myself, not trying to mess my engine up or blow it up. Tuning is not a easy thing to understand and just go ahead and mess with numbers. Do it wrong and you $10k into a whole having to buy a new engine and all that. So as of right now my car is running fine with headers no tune, i did go WOT yesterday and havnt heard or felt any knocking, the car drives fines.

Quote Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
    I'll add one thing to what has already been said. With your wideband installed log Equivalent Ratio Commanded (SAE). Select Lambda for units so you will know stock Lambda values. When you run a log try to match these values first. You can adjust from there to dial in for maximum power. With headers and no cats it will most like be somewhat lean. Adjust the stock MAF frequency table higher a couple % for safety from about 6000 Hz and up to start. I would also lower the pedal position where it goes into PE sooner for safety too. From your stock 70% down to maybe 40-50%.
    So during closed loop, I want to be hitting a lambda of 1 with headers? Is that the goal I am aiming for under pretty much no load closed loop? And under wide open throttle what lambada would I be aiming at? Wide band is being installed thursday, Ill data log and post everything here for those of you that have the time to help, thank you!

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    aim for .8 / .85 WOT as a start
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Senior Tuner
    So during closed loop, I want to be hitting a lambda of 1 with headers? Is that the goal I am aiming for under pretty much no load closed loop? And under wide open throttle what lambada would I be aiming at? Wide band is being installed thursday, Ill data log and post everything here for those of you that have the time to help, thank you!
    You will be aiming for your Equivalent Ratio Commanded (SAE) stock values in your log. If you aim for just .8, etc. you will be farther off as some of the stock commanded are in the .86 range at WOT with the leanest being .84. Look at this log. I'm a little rich here but this was a start for me after adding meth. Mine is a 2017 A8 so we should be identical assuming yours the same tranny.
    Attached Files Attached Files