Thread: Two questions for a new user

Potential Tuner

Two questions for a new user

I bought an engine for my Trans am and got the tune file with it.
    I am swapping LS1 for LS1, the new engine is cammed.
    The cars are the same as in both manual and both 4.11 rear.

My question is does the VIN need to be changed on the file I received? Also would VATS be an issue?

Or would it be easier to answer with the steps I need to complete, first backup my current tune, step 2, etc...

Advanced Tuner
    You just need to read and license your PCM as it is today. Once you've swapped your motor in, just adjust the existing tune for the cam (and other mods). Don't play with different OS' or you'll end up using extra credits unnecessarily.

If you have a tune for the new engine, once you've licensed your car as it is today, do a compare with the "cam-engine" tune and copy the differences over to your existing tune. I.E. DO NOT license or flash the "cam-engine" tune as you'll have to spend 2 more credits to license that tune, and it may not be setup correctly for your vehicle causing additional headaches.

Connect to your car, read tune file.
    License tune file read from car.
    Save multiple copies of this licensed file, this is your base file for your car.
    Open both your base file and the tuned file, compare them and copy the changes from tuned file to your base file. Save as a new tune.
    Flash new tune into car.
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; 02-15-2019 at 03:12 PM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    You just need to read and license your PCM as it is today. Once you've swapped your motor in, just adjust the existing tune for the cam (and other mods). Don't play with different OS' or you'll end up using extra credits unnecessarily.

If you have a tune for the new engine, once you've licensed your car as it is today, do a compare with the "cam-engine" tune and copy the differences over to your existing tune. I.E. DO NOT license or flash the "cam-engine" tune as you'll have to spend 2 more credits to license that tune, and it may not be setup correctly for your vehicle causing additional headaches.

Save multiple copies of this licensed file, this is your base file for your car.
    Open both your base file and the tuned file, compare them and copy the changes from tuned file to your base file. Save as a new tune.
    Flash new tune into car.
    Ok, thank you for the reply.

That answered another question I had with buying "GM credits".
    I have a second gen Camaro that I am going to do an LS Swap on.
    So if I understand correctly the credits are applied to a tune file and I would need to purchase two more credits for my Camaro?

Yes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Yes.
    Can I download (read) the file without credits?

Yes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post

Flash new tune into car.
    Ok, messed up a little bit. I plugged in and read the current file and thought that licensed it.
    I did a compare and edited the stuff from the "cam-engine" saved it as a new file and then tried to write it.
    At that point it licensed the "hybrid file" and won't write it because its different tune?

What do I need to do to fix that?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tcflint View Post
    Ok, messed up a little bit. I plugged in and read the current file and thought that licensed it.
    I did a compare and edited the stuff from the "cam-engine" saved it as a new file and then tried to write it.
    At that point it licensed the "hybrid file" and won't write it because its different tune?

What do I need to do to fix that?
    Got it!

Somehow the OS number changed and it didn't like it.

I was successful with a comparison modify and uploaded the new tune to the PCM.

Thanks for the help guys.

Advanced Tuner
    Glad you got it sorted out, if the OS changed you likely were trying to flash the tuned file in that time.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned