Thread: 5v buck converter - power supply for additional sensors?

Advanced Tuner

5v buck converter - power supply for additional sensors?

Looking to add a crankcase pressure sensor for verifying my pcv system operation, in and out of boost. I think a 2 bar map would do fine. Was originally going to rig something temporary but thought if I am going through the trouble of running wires I could just as easily make it more permanent, as my mvpi pro is already mounted so. (tucked under center console, powered on with ignition, wideband already connected, with only usb cable protruding out for the laptop).

I would like to put in a standalone 5v power supply, for this sensor and any future ones, to keep it separate from the ecm 5v driver. The simple and cheap 7805 IC chips supposedly get hot and still require capacitors to be added. The internet suggests a buck converter instead. Lots of options but most are exposed ic boards. Some enclosed ones look to be more for charging usb power supplies and likely not good at precise voltage control. Anyone done this before, and any product suggestions?

Senior Tuner
    we use electronic 5v regulators (Non-isolated step-down module (buck)) for running the earlier vehicle gauges so im going to be using one of them for the reference to a fuel pressure sensor im fitting, ive been using one to run my media player in vehicle also on 5v and never had it fail yet