Thread: 525hp GM crate engine start but no run

Tuner in Training

525hp GM crate engine start but no run

As the title says. It will fire but only for a couple seconds and then dies. Here's the set set up, new 525hp LS3 6L80e E38 and psi harness. Using HP tuners. Original tune was for a 2010 camaro 6.2 with auto trans.TCM has been married to PCM with GM equipment. Matched all the start and idle parameters to a 525 GM performance tune from the HP repository. Deleted vats and went through the whole immobilizer list in the DTC's. All physical basics checked. Switched and unswitched power to pcm. 58 psi of fuel pressure. Drained gas and added fresh fuel. Power at coils with key on, power at injectors with key on. Fuel pump comes on and stays on for 5 sec as configured in pcm. Turn the key and it barks to life for a second, maybe two and then dies. It will continue to do that. Went into the tune an re enabled Vats and starter fault checks. It does the exact same thing with vats enabled as it does with vats disabled. Fires, coughs, dies. I'm about 10 hours into this. Any help greatly appreciated. How to I attach tune? Thanks
    Last edited by V8R; 02-16-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Tuner in Training
    go on advanced

How are you disabling VATS? Using the Write VATS from the write options (ie calibration, entire etc)

Tuner in Training
    I disable it in the appropriate menu. Save tune as. Write entire.

Can you get a log and post the tune?

Maybe a major sensor is not working and causing it to die.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I haven?t had to disable VATS on E38 in quite a few years and it maybe been related to older versions of software, so I?m not sure with v4 applicability. However, I seem to remember E38 requiring you to specifically write VATS/Tunerlock etc as opposed to cal or entire. May be a mad gherkin though as that?s based on memory only.

Tuner in Training
    I'd post tune and log if I could figure out how. I went to advanced and don't see anywhere to cut and paste or copy a file.

Tuner in Training
    Chased wiring. Confirmed all. Played with maf and ve. Nothing. Substituted another E38. Bingo. Start. Run. Idle. Thanks for the replies.

Tuner
    I have a stock ls3 525 tune sitting here you could try.64impalals3525.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I have one coming but I will stash it away for future use!