Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 48RE Tuning Workbook

Banned

48RE Tuning Workbook

Can?t figure out how to load files to share but go to this link and you can download an excel workbook that will help show where 3-4,4-3 shift points occur and lockup/unlock points occur, adjusts automatically for tire size and axle ratio you enter, play with tables and see how it affects things. Haven?t got gov pressure and tva position figured out yet but as soon as I do those will be added in.

https://smartysupport.com/files/downloads/file/40-48re-tuning-workbook/

Banned
    I?ve updated this to include gear ratio input, TCC slip percent input, estimated engine rpm unlocked and estimated engine rpm locked. Results come very close to data logs.

Banned
    Added individual transmission gear ratio input, reorganizing the main page and improved the accuracy some. Engine speed when locked up is very close to datalogs, within 50rpms or so. Unlocked engine speed is dependent on converter slip which varies so it needs to be played around with to find your % slip. Output shaft speed within 10rpms. Everything is dependent on proper tire size and gear ratios setup, tire size should be measured loaded tire size, meaning what you measure from the ground to the top of the tire with the trucks weight on the tire.

This workbook can be very useful for seeing how changes to tire size, gear ratios and shift and lockup/unlock tables affect things.

Nice work Jim. Does anyone have a tune on a 04.5 or earlier tranny that worked well? Id like to see some configs.

I guess what im looking for is for it to kickdown sooner from 4th to 3rd.any ideas? I tried my tv cable adjustment and a lot of tuner settings. Nothing really helps at all.

Banned
    There?s limits as to how far you can adjust the tables before it won?t follow what you set unless you know what to do in user defined parameters. I?ll post up a 4-3 shift table later for you to try.

Your TV cable is going to have more of an affect on shift smoothness and to degrees affect your 1-2, 2-3, 3-2 and 2-1 shift points. To alter those shift points you need to play with the governor pressure and adjust your TV cable to smooth out the shifts. But those shifts also have limits as to how far you can adjust them. Your 3-4 and 4-3 is set by the tables in the trans parameters you see when looking at the transmission section in hp tuners. If any changes cause shifts to happen outside of other hidden parameters expected ranges and calculations, those hidden parameters take over and cause the shifts to happen as per the hidden parameters.

Yeah i noticed that about the tv cable. It would be sweet to see what you have. I wonder if tc lockup has to do with when it will kickdown 4th to 3rd? Any idea what would happen when changing the tow button in hpt? Mine currently locks out 4th

Banned
    A 2006 I?ve been tuning I currently have setup so it will not shift into 4th until road speed is about 45 mph, 3rd lockup happens around 36mph I think, I?d have to look back at the logs to see. It goes into 4th locked up, goes into 3rd earlier. Will not go into 4th when taking foot off the throttle when in 3rd, always maintains 3rd locked and 4th locked when taking the foot off the throttle. Does not shuttle shift at all (gear hunting).

My only wish is that it would unlock in 4th with less throttle as well as kick 4 to 3 with less throttle. I currently have to pretty much put it to the floor to get a downshift from 4 which causes a smoke screen till it shifts. I think the unlock in 4th would be key so I'm not lugging quite as hard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Yeah i noticed that about the tv cable. It would be sweet to see what you have. I wonder if tc lockup has to do with when it will kickdown 4th to 3rd? Any idea what would happen when changing the tow button in hpt? Mine currently locks out 4th
    TC lockup has nothing to do with kickdown, if you are talking kickdown when going full throttle that?s a completely different set of parameters, if you want it to downshift to 3rd earlier when say lugging in 4th and giving it something like 60% throttle that?ll be in your 4-3 shift table. You can change what the tow/haul button does, regular it?s a different shift/lockup schedule or you can set it to OD off which blocks out shift into fourth and the highest you get is 3rd locked on a completely different lockup schedule

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    My only wish is that it would unlock in 4th with less throttle as well as kick 4 to 3 with less throttle. I currently have to pretty much put it to the floor to get a downshift from 4 which causes a smoke screen till it shifts. I think the unlock in 4th would be key so I'm not lugging quite as hard.
    What?s needed is like what I described up above with how I got the 2006 shifting and locking up.

Banned
    trans.png

Not sure if this will work for you though considering hidden parameters are still enabled.

Banned
    I?ve been doing the tuning remotely and don?t have my own 48RE to test but above is a couple of the tables I have currently set at for the 2006 I have been remote tuning. So far the owner is really liking it.

Banned
    Noah, a note to HP tuners labeling on the tables, they aren?t quite accurate. The output shaft speed is minimum and throttle position is maximum for the 3-4 upshift and lockup, output shaft speed is maximum and throttle position is maximum for 4-3 downshift and unlock.

For example on the stock 3-4 upshift table, 4th column over shows 1800rpm and 30% throttle position, this means output shaft speed must be at least 1800 rpm and throttle position must be no more than 30%. On the 4-3 downshift stock table at the 4th column it shows 1300rpm and 42% throttle, this means output shaft must be 1300rpm or less and no more than 42% throttle position.

I wonder about difference between 04.5 with tv cable vs full electronic on 05 up? My truck stock is set to lockout od when th is engauged. You are saying if i change that in hpt it would be more similar to the 05 up right?

Banned
    Possibly, honestly not sure, you?d have to give it a try. I haven?t played with the different tow/haul modes

Tuner in Training
    i've been trying to get a 2005 ram (tv motor style) to lock up sooner in 3rd and hold the converter locked up for a exhaust brake but it releases the converter at 50 mph in 3rd. I turned off the tow haul feature and made it a o/d lock out function instead.

Any changes to lock up or unlock seem to have zero effect. anyone else tried?

thanks

Banned
    There are other parameters not openly available that are preventing you from achieving what you are looking for.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Jim, so how do we access these hidden parameters? can you help?

Thanks

Banned
    For a fee I can take care of the hidden parameters