Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricked PCM??

Tuner in Training

Bricked PCM??

So I currently installed an LT4 out of a 96 Vette in my brothers 71 Nova. I am running a Torqhead conversion to replace the Optispark and using a new LS1 harness and LS1 computer out of a 2000 Camaro Z28. I have done this conversion on my 68 Nova and it works perfect with no issues. I powered up my brothers car, proceeded to read the computer with HP tuners without a glitch. I changed a few of the perimeters in order to be able to run on the LT1. As I went to write the new program, the write was going till it got to the middle of the write and the HP Tuner program completely shut down. I tried to read and write again and it will not do anything or even connect. I then grabbed a 2nd ECM I have from a 2000 Silverado (Same part number as the Camaro computer). I plugged it in and read it just fine. I changed the perimeters again and this time HP Tuners shut completely down after it erased the computer. So now I have 2 computers that will not do anything. Any insight on why this may be happening? I have the latest update from HP in my system. After it bricked both computers, I went to my other car and read it to see if it was my laptop or data cable. It read it just fine, I then did a write to make sure it would work and all went well without a glitch. So I am really confused on what happened. Does anyone know of a place that can repair these computers as I don't want to lose 200 dollars in credits now. Any help is appreciated.

The one computer might be boned forever because it failed when it was erased.

The first one you might be able to make it work again. Sometimes the battery has to be disconnected for a while, then you can try doing another write to it.

Maybe you are out of luck on both because they are 20 year old computers by now.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, I will try to write the one computer again. Any idea on why the HP Tuner program shut down during both writes? That's my biggest concern as I don't want it to do it again if in fact I have to buy another computer.

I couldn't say. Sometimes HPT would ask for an info log of the issue if you emailed them a support ticket but it may be past that point already.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I would dig into whatever laptop or computer (not PCM) you were using at the time of the crashing. Were all other programs shut down or was there a large computing demand at the time? Plenty of available RAM, disc space etc and a decent processor speed? Running on full battery power and not an AC adapter?

Tuner in Training
    Confirmed both computers are bricked. I cannot rear or write on either. I went to my own Nova, Read the computer and then proceeded to write with no issues whatsoever. I did not have any other programs running any of the times I was reading or writing. I even disable to WIFI just to be safe. Computer battery was fully charged at all times. When I went to read the one computer that bricked, it would just give me an error message. On the other bricked one it would literally shut down HP Tuners completely.

Tuner in Training
    Update:::

So I bought 2 more computers from my LKQ vendor and one of them had harness ends on it. I took the blue clip and made a Bench harness using a 13.5 volt 3 amp supply to power it. I decided to try and see if I could get access to both of the bricked computers before writing on the new ones. First one didn't want to let me in so I decided to write on it again and it allowed me to write. I then read it and it was able to read. I tried the 2nd one and it also would not allow me to read it. I then also tried to write and then it allowed me to write. Now both can read and write without an issue using the bench harness. I have done both of these computers multiple times now just to test them. Now I am really confused. I am going to try and put one of the computers into the car to see if it starts tomorrow but does anyone have any idea on why this has happened?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    voltage fluctuations will cause hell on a write process.
    IE: opening doors, exterior/interior lights, radios, fans, can cause read and/or write issues.
    your bench harness takes all of that out of question so try a battery charger to maintain system voltage and turn all that you can off and see if you get a successful write.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    I had a 20 amp battery charger on the car when I was trying to program it. I am wondering if that is what caused the issue with possibly to much electric interference? I don't have anything else on the car connected. its a new build so I have all the fuses out except for the engine computer system and fuel pump.

Advanced Tuner
    Some types of battery chargers will cause issues. If you do a bunch of programming it's best to use an adjustable regulated (smoothed) power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleone View Post
    I had a 20 amp battery charger on the car when I was trying to program it. I am wondering if that is what caused the issue with possibly to much electric interference? I don't have anything else on the car connected. its a new build so I have all the fuses out except for the engine computer system and fuel pump.
    You said that the HPT program shut down while writing. Can you elaborate on this? Did the write just stop and the program prompted with a message, or the program crashed and stopped responding?
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecarlodrag View Post
    You said that the HPT program shut down while writing. Can you elaborate on this? Did the write just stop and the program prompted with a message, or the program crashed and stopped responding?
    The program just stopped and closed on its own. It was like I hit X in the top right corner to exit the program but it did it all on its own.

Then you may need to update .NET or check for viruses, that's the only thing I can think of. That isn't caused by anything on the car side, the symptoms for a bad connection/low battery are different so you have something wrong on the laptop/windows.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Advanced Tuner
    try a fully charged jump pack instead of the battery charger,, some chargers have a very dirty signal and will mess up programming, voltage needs to be clean and stable
    2010 camaro L99, Magnacharger TVS 2300, 415ci LS3,Kooks long tubes, yank ss3200, 3.73 rear

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    i use a cteck maintainer. doesnt need much to hold voltage.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    So I cannot seem to get spark or any fuel injector pulse. I have checked the wiring on the crank and cam sensors and they are all good and going to the correct terminals on the computer. I checked the wiring with an OHM gauge and they ohm out just fine. No breaks. I have swapped the sensors from my other car which runs fine with this car and it did nothing. I confirmed the VATS is disabled on the computer. I am getting 12 volts to the sensors and they both are being grounded by the PCM. Any ideas on what I may be missing? I have plenty of power going to the ECM and I do not lose voltage when cranking the engine.

Tuner in Training
    Problem with the no spark solved. Low reference wire mostly broken so it ohmed out but it did not give good enough ground. I got the car running. I read the PCM fine but it still does not want to let me write the PCM in the car. Out of the car its fine and I rewrote the PCM over 10 times without one issue. The minute I install it in the car, it shuts down the HP tuner program when I try to write. Could the Dakota Digital cluster be giving the system feedback and be causing the issue? I have nothing else hooked up to the car that ties into the PCM besides for the Dakota Digital controller.

Possible.

It may be like same thing that happens with aftermarket radio's. Almost always does the radio fuse have to be pulled because it creates issues with the electronics when reading/writing the computers.

Senior Tuner
    If the Dakota Digital cluster ties into the ALDL data line and the instruments get their data for display like a scanner would like I believe some do then yes it is interfering with the writing to the PCM. Might have to put a switch between the cluster and ALDL data line.

Tuner in Training
    Well the Speedo, Tach, and check engine light tie into the controller directly from the PCM. I also have 2 add on controllers from Dakota that read boost and fuel pressure that tie into the main controller. I am thinking that all these may be causing some interference.