Thread: E40 2-bar on stock engine?

E40 2-bar on stock engine?

(standard noob disclaimer here)

Sanity check: I can read the stock file, apply the custom OS, save, and not spend the 2 credits until I go to write it? I think that's right.

So, what are the drawbacks to running the 2-bar on a stock N/A vehicle? The big benefit I see is the lower fan activation temperatures, aside from anything else. Adding boost in the future won't require another 2 credits.

But there's the big "SD ONLY!" warning for the E40 that doesn't appear for the other ECMs, does that mean this one cannot use the MAF at all? It MUST be failed in the proper way? I'm not really clear on that because the 'E40 2-bar sample' file bundled with VCM Suite still has the Airflow tables populated with stock numbers; another E40 2-bar file I have (posted by another user) has those tables zeroed out. What do I need to know before diving into this?

I would not apply the 2 bar OS until after you license the file and save the stock file as a back up. You need to keep the stock file in case anything happened and you needed it back.

So read the tune, save it maybe 2-3 times on you desktop, laptop, flash drive. Then license that file. Now for me I'd make a change and write it to make sure everything works good with your new license. You can apply the 2 bar OS if you want, there is no problems running it on a stock engine. The MAF sensor will continue to function as normal if you do not fail the sensor.

They just say that if you wish to remove the MAF that it must be failed correctly because it will not run in speed density properly if you don't.

Just make sure that if you do apply the OS that some of your settings for 1 bar operation are still like factory. Like if it changes the MAP sensor settings on it's own, change them back to factory. Make sure the MAF and primary VE table are populated like factory.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

It will definitely change the MAP linear setting to 200. And your car probably will not start until you change it back to stock.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Thank you both.

Changing MAP settings are not a problem. I do already have a 2.5 BAR (MPX4250-based homemade) on the shelf, waiting.

I also have spare ECM & TCM, that I flashed with the latest GM stock files. Both have been tested, in the truck running right now, actually. So I have the stock originals as backups. My mucking around will be done on the spares.

Do you know the linear and offset for that homemade sensor? Reason that I ask is that the E40 will not accept negative numbers in the offset.

MPX4250 is almost like it was designed explicitly around the E40 limitations. Linear 244.68, Offset 10.21 are the settings everyone uses.

This is the same sensor DSteck & DPE Corvettes use in their LS2 PnP sensors. I already had the 4250s in the parts bin from a previous project from before I ever knew what an E40 was, and a spare stock 1-bar sensor to use as a host, otherwise I would have bought one from the guys who did the work before me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the info

MPVI2 finally in my grubby little hands. Yay! It only took ~2 years to find the money... (hopefully this explains my interest in doing this using the minimum number of credits possible)

Read stock file, saved (and backed-up, etc.). Applied Custom OS, saved as new (also backed-up, etc., as from now on this will be my real back-to-stock backup). Reopened and changed MAP back to stock 1-bar settings. The only changes from the stock OS were the TCC patch applied, MAP settings, and the fan settings (stock EV fan still in place right now). None of this so far has required licensing anything.

If it stops raining tomorrow I'll flash it and see if it still runs.

It will ask for the license upon flashing with a MPVI2. The MPVI1 was when you saved the first time.

Remember that OS changes require a write entire, if you choose write calibration only you could brick the computer. All other changes after that can be write calibration.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Oh yes. The popup warning was clear about that (I even took a screenshot of it at the time, just because). And being able to do this with just 2 credits instead of 4 is a big freakin' deal for po folk like me.

I've been reading for 2 years, trying to make sure I won't be "that guy". You know the type. But being pretty sure I know how it works because I've done a bunch of reading about it and then doing it for real are different animals entirely. I'd be in trouble if I was sure of myself. Healthy skepticism or whatever.

p.s. 5FDP specifically, and the other few long-timers here generally, thank you for putting in the effort to help just about anybody and everybody.

It still runs!

And, wow, what a difference when PE is allowed to work when you need it.

Just for reference:
    The MAP sensor I used is now obsolete; Digikey still has some in stock but they've been superseded by a functionally identical (but cheaper!) model. MPXHZ6250A6U

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta.../568-13756-ND/

Holy balls. Why does this thing seem to run better with the MAF disabled? How? WTF? I haven't changed anything else, just failed the MAF.