Thread: 8.1 E-Fans Stay On

Potential Tuner

8.1 E-Fans Stay On

I installed the electric fan in my 02 Suburban 2500 with an 8.1 about 4 months ago. I used the harnesses from BP Automotive (for the fans and A/C) and all was working great.... until today. I went to fire up my truck and the fans turn on about 10s after I fired it up. The truck was cold (30 degrees) so it shouldn't be calling for the fans to be on.

Any help diagnosing would be appreciated!2500 suburban BB with fans 20FEB2019.hpt

Tuner
    Mine did this last weekend, my fans would not shut off, I turned my runtime with ignition off to 0 I had it at 30 seconds and I haven't had any problems since. At 30* they shouldn't come on, I unplugged my temp sensor and re seated it as well all is good now.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post
    Mine did this last weekend, my fans would not shut off, I turned my runtime with ignition off to 0 I had it at 30 seconds and I haven't had any problems since. At 30* they shouldn't come on, I unplugged my temp sensor and re seated it as well all is good now.
    My issue is with the fans running all the time with the engine running (no matter the ECT). The fans shut off when I turn the ignition off.

It depends how your fans are cycled by the AC. If you are running the defrost and the defrost is asking for the AC compressor...

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    It depends how your fans are cycled by the AC. If you are running the defrost and the defrost is asking for the AC compressor...

Your right, I just went out to check and the fans stay on weather I have it set to defrost or not. I gave it some time after turn it off of defrost and they stayed on, ECT was at 30 to 100 during the test.

Potential Tuner
    Is there a way to see in the scanner what is commanding the fans on?

Advanced Tuner
    Scan for AC pressure, ECT temp. Some DTC if set will run the fans as well.

Potential Tuner
    I may have it figured out but I will need some help. What is the normal AC pressure sensor voltage when static?

Tuner
    Have you searched the tune repository for a stock 8.1 tune and get your numbers from that?

Tuner
    2003 Tahoe2barbasefileNOLTFTt1+ltft+stft1,ltft,PEadj.hpt see if my fan settings are close to yours

Potential Tuner
    I think what is happening is that the AC switch (the pressure switch) is sending a high pressure signal to the ECM. When I scanned the the truck ad add the AC pressure voltage to the data stream it was 0.01v and the fans where not on. I was looking at the ECT and then fans kicked on so I checked the AC pressure switch voltage and it had jumped to 4.8v. That why I was asking what the nominal voltage for the pressure switch.

Senior Tuner
    You using a pressure switch or pressure sensor? Here is how to use a sensor on the 99-02s

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ontrol-553385/

Advanced Tuner
    Good info 2xLS1, May have a switch and it needs to be a sensor.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    You using a pressure switch or pressure sensor? Here is how to use a sensor on the 99-02s

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...ontrol-553385/
    I had been looking for a while on what the difference was between analog, serial, and the cycling. Thank you!