Thread: 5.0 F150 tuning procedure/ issues

Advanced Tuner

5.0 F150 tuning procedure/ issues

So I was dropped off a 2017 F150 single cab with a 30" tire, 4.10 gears and a JLT intake. First thing I noticed was no MAF transfer curve. Checked the intake and sure enough these trucks do not have a MAF. Map based, cool. Well, my first question is: How do you tune the speed density tables on these coyotes?

My instinct tells me that I have to use the built in speed density calculator in Hptuners. So I have to build a histogram with RPM and MAP, and the value being calculated is STFT error, EQ error. Then transfer that error percentage to the built in speed density calculator and calculate the coefficients.

Am I correct so far?

Next is, Since there are multiple mapped points, it would be increasingly difficult to average the AFR error by weight (the sd calculation referencing varies mapped points at the same time with different weighted percentages for each). Do I tune every single mapped point, 1 by 1 by somehow locking in the calibration to reference a single mapped point at a time? I.E. somehow make the file only reference mapped point 22 for fueling, so all of my EQ error is 100% referencing solely that mapped point.

Another thing to note is, my EQ command is never what I command it to be. I command a wot lambda value of .83 and the command AFR never seems to be what I command. Its either higher or lower, I have noticed however that based on the amount of STFT value percentage, the base .83 commanded lambda seems to be affected by the stft value. For example if the STFT value is 4% lean, the commanded lambda value at WOT goes to .796 if the stft then richens up to -4% it commands .86 lambda. This is not what I have seen with mustangs, so I am guessing this particular WOT fueling control is only on the F150s?? first time i see commanded lambda change in real time to target my lambda WOT value.

Third is, I can't seem to figure out how to or what changes to make for the 4.10s and the 30" radial. I looked up some threads on the N/V and the use VID table, but I do not have such table on this f150 strategy. Any pointers?

attached an image of my current gearing settings. I changed the use final ratio and use tire cir to "calibration".NV SETTINGS.PNG
    Last edited by cesar; 02-21-2019 at 02:21 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    NV is
    Tire rev per mile X rear gear ratio / 60
    Cant check file right now. You can filter data in your datalogs or disable mapped points in the tune.

Advanced Tuner
    hey thanks, seems mine falls in a value near 46.7

Advanced Tuner
    anyone ?

Advanced Tuner
    I tried using the speed density calculator as you?re describing with applying the fuel trim % to whatever corresponding cell. It seemed to shore up the trims on my truck. That said I disabled ffv logic, have a currently unknown % ethanol e85 in it cause it?s winter and too cold to install my content gauge. So I took a guess at the content for now. I also have 47s, a cobrajet intake and monoblade throttle body and I moved the cam timing around all over the place so I was starting from a place with many variables lol.

All that aside, I filtered the trims to each mapped point in scanner so it would only graph when the mapped point weight was 50% or higher and applied the correction in speed density calculator. Seemed to shore the trims up.

In summer I intend to revisit it by enabling one mapped point at a time and doing it that way to see.

I have no idea if it?s right, but it seemed to be working. I also couldn?t find much info. I think this is how the ecoboost guys do it and since they?re map based I thought best to copy the procedure they use. I need to read more but I always experiment since it?s my personal vehicle and I get bored lol.

Advanced Tuner
    hey thanks matt. Does your commanded EQ also change depending on the STFTs?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes it does. But I noticed that with FFV off and if I had trims that were closer, it would much more closely follow commanded eq that?s in the wot table.

The actual measured lambda though; always very very close to desired.

I could be incorrect on all of this and I only studied the log for a few min and have only flashed the truck twice making adjustments in that area, so take it all with a grain of salt lol.

Advanced Tuner
    Since the coyote trucks do you have to mod the speed density tables to make more power? Or can you tune it just like a coyote car , do the spark tables adjust wot lambda , torque management, driver demand and so on?

Advanced Tuner
    I?m not totally clear what you?re asking, but I think the answer to your question is when is modifying the speed density tables required? And to that I?d say only when the airflow model would need adjusting because of hardware changes.

The rest tunes like a mustang.

Advanced Tuner
    Sorry it cut off what I was typing I was asking since they aren’t maf did you have to do any speed density table changes for a basic tune but I see I don’t. Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

I wonder now that the 2017 Trucks SD if this will give us any insight as too what pin is used in the wire harness. maybe like this we can see which one to try on the older coyote cars.