Thread: getting ready to purchase mpvi2, i have a few questions

Tuner in Training

getting ready to purchase mpvi2, i have a few questions

hi im getting ready to purchase an mpvi2 but i have a few questions. please forgive the beginner questions.

is internet required to use hptuners?
    ive searched for the answer to this and it sounds like i need internet to install hptuners but not to tune a car. is this correct? the reason i ask is i dont have internet(live in the woods and satellite is too expensive).

also are additional credits needed to do any kind of speed density, turbo tunes, etc?
    i plan on getting the unlimited year/model license for i believe 6 credits.

im planning on getting a gm efi tuning book from barnes and noble this weekend, any other literature that is recommended? specifically for hptuners?

thank you in advance.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The MPVI2 credit system is cloud based so in order to retrieve your credits you would need to have an active internet connection.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    so if i were to bring my laptop to my job where i have wifi, can i retrieve the credits there and tune the car where there is no internet?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    depends on the vehicle, for instance late model GM's 2017+ require an internet connection at first flash.

Tuner in Training
    sorry, it would be for mostly 99-02 gm truck computers in swap vehicles.

Thought I'd chime in with this. The year/model license does only apply to one specific year. So 6 credits for say 2001 model year only. So every computer would have to be a 2001 or be flashed with a 2001 VIN/OS prior to using HP Tuners.

It's like 30 credits to do all years of the trucks and 30 for all years of the cars.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    thank you i did see that. i was gonna attempt to get all 2002 computers for my swaps, but i figure there would be a few straggler year pcm's where id but the credits for them seperately. i dont think ill do it enough to purchace the unlimited gen 3 for 30 credits.

Tuner in Training
    i mightve answered one of my other questions. if someone could verify please. i believe speed density tuning for turbo requires an extra 2 credits for the vcm enhancement. but i also read that speed density doesnt necessarily mean you have to have a custom operating system(just found out yesterday what ''os'' stands for).
    is the vcm enhancement a one time buy, or is it per pcm? if i buy the year/model license, does that mean i only have to buy the vcm enhancement once to do multiple custom tunes i.e. speed density, turbo, bigger injectors, etc?

for the year/model license do they consider sierra and silverado the same? also what about 1500, 2500,3500? thank you.

Tuner
    I used 2 total credits to do 2 bar speed density.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    our custom operating systems(vcm enhancements) haven't used credits for years now.

Tuner in Training
    thank you. and i just read that the year/model license works for all silverado/sierras of the same year regardless of 1/2, 3/4, or 1 ton.