Thread: L83 with whipple, tsp vvt stage 3 cam, 3200 circle d stall - p0016 help

Potential Tuner

L83 with whipple, tsp vvt stage 3 cam, 3200 circle d stall - p0016 help

I have a 14 sierra with 5.3. I added a Whipple supercharger, Texas speed stage 3 vvt cam with +32% fuel lobe and comps phaser limiter. For most part the truck starts and runs find but i have the P0016 code and also had twice another code for reduced engine power (cant think of the actual error code) but both times happened in my neighborhood while driving constantly and not able to get out of 1st gear. the only other issue is every now and then the rpms drop too fast when letting off the gas and stall, again that is when im not able to get out of 1st gear. i did pull the timing cover just to be sure and everything was good checked the crank and cam sensor so i dont think its mechanical. I've read a bunch of threads regarding the code in similar situations but no luck with the advise given on those threads.

I attached the tune that is currently on the truck, which was not done by me i had another tuner tune this originally but this issue was never fixed. Im not a professional tuner by by any means so if anybody with more knowledge could take a look it and give some advice that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I have to ask but was this code present before the engine work was done? P0016 is for timing correlation between the crank and camshaft so having a tune wouldn't make that pop up. you would only be able to disable the code so it doesn't show a ses light but i don't recommend doing that for most cases. That code can set for a number of reasons...faulty cam sensor, crank sensor, mechanical engine timing is incorrect, solenoid valve, crank reluctor ring moved. Who did the engine work? Are you sure the motor is timing correctly? The new gen 5s can be a little more tricky due to a oil feed hole not being centered in the block which can throw off your perception during installation of the chain. What was the other dtc you had?

Edit: you cannot have more than a 11 degree sway negative or positive (camshaft degrees) otherwise it will set the P0016 dtc so if the cam is making it move more than the programming the ecm has it will throw the code so then in your case if you are 100% sure everything is correct mechanical wise with the engine, then i guess in your case just shut the code off because the cam might be out of the ecm spec but you seem to be having some driveability issues. how does the vehicle idle?
    Under engine diag/airflow disable the tests for p0068 and p0101,p0106,p0121 - because of the mods your probably freaking the ecm out and these tests can cause REP
    p0068 - set to 8k
    p0101,p0106,p0121 - set min ect to 493
    Last edited by TCSS07; 02-22-2019 at 07:41 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the response! I did all the work my self so my first thoughts were the same as yours, I figured it was something mechanical so I pulled it apart to verify everything and all was good. I replaced the cam and crank sensor thinking maybe it was that, I heard that being the issue in some cases. I can not remember the actual dtc but on the dash "engine power redeced" popped up and no longer had throttle response. I can probably find out if needed. The Gen Vs are tricky and I'm learning the hard way lol. The idle is good (very choppy in a good way)
    but starts up fine, pulls hard and overall runs great besides very low speeds when I don't get out of first gear. That's really the only drivability issue it seems to have at this point. I will definitely edit what you mentioned and see how it reacts.

Advanced Tuner
    the low speed bucking/driveability issues (if thats what your experiencing) for the most part are a side effect of larger cams however you'll be able to fine tune a little bit better with spark adjustments and vvt adjustments and making sure fueling is spot on along with transmission changes for the stall but i don't really dabble in the trans portion personally so i wont be much help there. Always make small changes first so you see how the tables effect the vehicle and save different files/labeled different so you have a good back up in case you change something the vehicle doesn't like.
    Last edited by TCSS07; 02-22-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Potential Tuner
    The best way I can describe the low speed issues is if the rpms rise but not high enough to shift into 2nd and I let off the throttle to stop, the rmps drop very fast either stalling in some cases or dropping extremely low then reving back up. But I know this tune needs alot of adjusting in quite a few places so I'll get it worked out with more research. Just got hp tuners so I'm excited to learn this end of working on cars. Thanks for the help again its much appreciated!

WHere you located?? There is a lot that needs to be done to that tune to make right.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C