Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New/used PCM, how to write over VIN?

Haha, no, my comment about 'never been bit by that before' meant I have definitely been bit by that before. Been retired for near 10 years now, but in my previous life I was ASE Master + L1, Dodge Jeep Kia Mitsubishi Cadillac Chevy Olds dealer experience, with some independent & machine shop mixed in over the years. My specialty was those asshole cars that come in with a complaint like "CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHT FUSE BLOWS ONCE A MONTH". Try tracking that one down while you're being paid on flat-rate, all while a few bays over the shop's star 'tech' is doing brake job after brake job after brake job...

I have full GM service manuals for everything from 1998-2009, if you need specific diagrams or connector pinouts.

By 'scanner' I meant VCM Scanner. Read and clear codes with that, not a handleld. Something you might think about in the future, you can get Chinese "MDI clone" doohickies for around $100 that let you run Tech2 emulation software on a laptop, so you can get access to ABS, BCM, door and seat modules, HVAC data, just like with a real dealership Tech2.

Holy cow! Got NOID Light to work on INj #6....... Just ran the car for 45 minutes, drove around the subdivision a couple laps. Managed to get a data log file and my silly Open Loop Fault is still hanging around. No check engine light or codes yet. Figure I need 25 to 50 miles now to get past the "Not Ready's" for the required Texas State Inspection. I know all injectors work (they are new), all injector circuits have 12v+ , audible tested good, NOID light tested good, went back and checked wires at the PCM all checked good. Have made the MISFIRE Adjustments in the software to correct the OPEN Loop fault for GM LS's according to the HP Tuning school.

So on to the next chapter - 408 LQ4 265/272 @.50 Solid Roller Cam, new TSP 247 Heads 360 CFM @.750 inch lift, LSX 90, NW 90 TB, 11.7 compression, Octane on Demand -Direct Port NOS, 4.10 M6 Spool...

Now, with still learning the tuning side where do I go from here? All tuning on my car was completed by a tuning shop in Houston, they did not lock the tunes but at this point I am at a loss. And I will probably show my lacking knowledge now. If all injectors are working, can I still tune around the car with an Fuel System Open Loop Fault? Should I contact HP Tuners customer support or will they even be able to help... I will also add the tune currently on my car. I use the latest version of MPV1 Pro if that makes a difference. Data 4 (03-11-19).hplFirehawk Nitros Tune (03-28-09) Rework (12-21-18).hpt

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Haha, no, my comment about 'never been bit by that before' meant I have definitely been bit by that before. Been retired for near 10 years now, but in my previous life I was ASE Master + L1, Dodge Jeep Kia Mitsubishi Cadillac Chevy Olds dealer experience, with some independent & machine shop mixed in over the years. My specialty was those asshole cars that come in with a complaint like "CUST STATES BRAKE LIGHT FUSE BLOWS ONCE A MONTH". Try tracking that one down while you're being paid on flat-rate, all while a few bays over the shop's star 'tech' is doing brake job after brake job after brake job...

I have full GM service manuals for everything from 1998-2009, if you need specific diagrams or connector pinouts.

By 'scanner' I meant VCM Scanner. Read and clear codes with that, not a handleld. Something you might think about in the future, you can get Chinese "MDI clone" doohickies for around $100 that let you run Tech2 emulation software on a laptop, so you can get access to ABS, BCM, door and seat modules, HVAC data, just like with a real dealership Tech2.
    Absolutely cool! Thanks and I will for sure. I'm definitely a "Tuner in training" need a lot of it. I'm a 51 year old Professional Sales Exec that has watched my career go right out the window. I'm owed millions in unpaid commissions I will never see and should be retired but forced to now work for Bridgestone/Firestone (management trainee which means I'm stuck in retail sales). I will loook into the Chinese "MDI Clone" - bad ass! Funny to hear about your specialty being those asshole cars. Because I got screwed really bad by a shop in Houston, my car sat for 7 years plus. Long story.....making stupid money and paid for most of the final stages of the build, tuning and set up by someone else. Now I am going back and figuring or trying to figure out what they did... I'm close and appreciate the information shared.. Jim

Closed loop is disabled in the tune. Go to engine > fuel > oxygen sensors. Your Closed Loop Enable ECT vs IAT is maxed out (beyond max, actually).

Open the stock tune file bundled with VCM Suite, 2002 Chevy Camaro P01, as a compare file. Copy those stock values over into your tune and see if CL starts working.

LTFT is disabled too, though there may be good reasons to leave that off.

It's ALIVE!!!!! Sounds better and idles fine. AFR around 13.4 Don't know if I am entirely out of the dark yet, because Fuel System shows "Open Not Ready". I made the adjustments mentioned above by blindsquirrel. Once I can get the car legal to drive I can then start to really look into the tune. I have a Wideband O2 set up most of which when it comes to tuning I will need some help....heck, i'm happy it's running somewhat normal..

Are the O2's reading something that looks halfway valid now or still stuck around 450mV?

Attached Data log file still showing 02's in the 435 440 to 453 and bouncing all around in the 400's. Showing Fuel System Open Loop Not Ready and no CEL still so I'm very hopeful at this point.. Starting a heavy work shift over next 4 days.. Will try to drive my car this Saturday to get some miles on it.... I have 02 sims on the car, along with probably 1 functioning 02.. my car is more on the heavily modified side - crazy for 2007 not too crazy for today..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Your O2 sensors are dead. As far as driveability goes, that would be a good place to start. With that big cam, the open loop EQ ratio was around .89 in most of your datalog, even though your engine was at 200+deg F. I made a few changes to that table for you.
    You can also transition the timing ramp a little more slowly for the nitrous. You may have to download a later version of HP Tuners to view the attached tune.

Firehawk Nitros Tune (03-28-09) Rework3-11-19.hpt

I am not the P01 guy, this may be way off base.

O2 sims are usually only needed when you don't have access to change the tune to turn the rear O2s off. Since you do, and the sensor DTCs are turned off, ditch the sims. You shouldn't need anything at all plugged into the harness back there at all.

If you want it to run in closed loop, you should reset all the front O2 DTCs back to stock. SES enable & MIL on second error for P0131-135 & P0151-155.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Your O2 sensors are dead. As far as driveability goes, that would be a good place to start. With that big cam, the open loop EQ ratio was around .89 in most of your datalog, even though your engine was at 200+deg F. I made a few changes to that table for you.
    You can also transition the timing ramp a little more slowly for the nitrous. You may have to download a later version of HP Tuners to view the attached tune.

Firehawk Nitros Tune (03-28-09) Rework3-11-19.hpt
    Thanks, will try the changes out and see. I installed a new 160 degree thermostat but now wonder if I received the correct part based on engine temp. When under the car, I only have 1 - 02 sensor on the front driver's side. The passenger side is used for Wideband 02 when in use.. Rear 02 Sims installed after minor mods (LS1) but before major mods (LS2).. Turned off by tuner in Houston - was told in-operative or non-active years ago. Here is a question, when I look at the different vehicles within my VCM Suite info, 1 shows my car as s SD Tune... A potential stupid question being how do I know if my car was tuned SD or not? Not sure what the shop did back in the day and now I'm learning .....Will replace the 02 sensor as well. thanks again.. will continue to post findings...

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    I am not the P01 guy, this may be way off base.

O2 sims are usually only needed when you don't have access to change the tune to turn the rear O2s off. Since you do, and the sensor DTCs are turned off, ditch the sims. You shouldn't need anything at all plugged into the harness back there at all.

If you want it to run in closed loop, you should reset all the front O2 DTCs back to stock. SES enable & MIL on second error for P0131-135 & P0151-155.
    This is where I am the newbie....Is the difference in closed loop verses open loop the same as a SD (speed density tune) Closed and Standard or is it MAF tuned Open?

The tunes I have were all completed by a speed shop in Houston. I have a NOS and Street tune.. The only difference supposedly was at WOT (16 degrees and 26 degrees). Car ran great until it finally blew the passenger side head gasket. Long story short - my car was put on a dyno by the shop tuning my car. They free spun (or spun out) while on the dyno running my rpm's well above 10K (blowing 2 holes through a water jacket inside my cylinder head)... Shoot my car made 1350+ rwhp and 728 torque. I know my car realistically made 497 rwhp on the NOS tune and pilled for a 250 shot (Direct port - Octane on demand).... My car 750 rwhp in 2008.. a beast in it's day.. My goal was to make GM High Tech Performance and race on PINK's All out for the $10K... unfortunately, neither came to fruition.

So, when finally able to replace the cylinder heads (2017) I went with Texas Speed and Performance's 247's 360 CFM @ .750 inch lift... previous were ETP Stage 3's 330 CFM @ .700 inch lift. With my added improvements, I was hoping I could make the changes in fuel and spark delivery and it be that easy.. Unfortunately, it never is for me....

I'm still learning a lot and doing everything I can to do this at my house rather than go to another speed shop.... All shared knowledge is greatly appreciated...

Here we go! Found out I have Wide Bank 02 sensors that were actually wired in over my OEM 02 sensors. I replaced both 02 sensors with Wide band O2's today and took my car for a quick drive. Seemingly different, my AFR auto meter is now reading above the limit with ----. While driving I noticed my AFR would come back to 15.6, 13.7, 12.5, go back up and down if it's reading correctly. Makes sense as I changed to bigger, better flowing cylinder heads which means it should be running lean....maybe things are coming together... Here is my latest data log.... Now, a quick question being my PCM probably has not officially reset yet as I have not been able to drive it the necessary miles. Is my effort in trying to get this all corrected before the 25, 50 or 100 miles for the PCM reset all in VAIN? Check out the data log and let me know.... New 02's (03-16-19).hpl

So your plan is to not run factory narrow band o2 sensor?

If so, the computer will never change or learn anything. These computers can only use narrow band sensors.

From now on it will forever be in open loop with zero o2 sensor control, zero closed loop function and no long term or short term fuel correction.

Anything you wish to change will have to come through you making a custom channel to log the commanded lambda or AFR against the actual Lambda or AFR, then make the required changes to the airflow model from there.

I'm not sure why someone would install different sensors, it's not like any of those newer widebands would plug into a P01/P59 engine harness. If you want to use the wideband sensors, that's great but just know that without factory sensors installed you will never have closed loop fuel control. Both narrowband sensors and wideband can be used but the wideband is always a separate gauge for logging.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

If so, the computer will never change or learn anything. These computers can only use narrow band sensors.

From now on it will forever be in open loop with zero o2 sensor control, zero closed loop function and no long term or short term fuel correction.

Anything you wish to change will have to come through you making a custom channel to log the commanded lambda or AFR against the actual Lambda or AFR, then make the required changes to the airflow model from there.

I'm not sure why someone would install different sensors, it's not like any of those newer widebands would plug into a P01/P59 engine harness. If you want to use the wideband sensors, that's great but just know that without factory sensors installed you will never have closed loop fuel control. Both narrowband sensors and wideband can be used but the wideband is always a separate gauge for logging.
    Thanks ,this is exactly what I am needing to learn and to learn the difference. I purchased and then took back the narrow 02's and assumed the widebands were wired in and over the narrow by the speed shop who installed them. After reading people wiring in wideband 02's for more accurate readings, I got under my car and then follow the wideband cables up to the floor pan, and then assumed. So, I learning based off a speed shop set up and tune....My goal is to just get my car back on the road...

To add to my status is i have the Innovate unit to Wideband 02 tune. I have personally never used it. I will look over all the forums and HP Tuning school information to hopefully get the WB 02's calibrated (if needed) and somehow figure this out. So much I want to now go back and remove, it's stupid unreal. I seemed to waste a ton of money on things which in 2007/2008 were cutting edge but now I am the person having to tune with beginning tuning knowledge... I definitely appreciate the help of individuals more knowledgeable than me. If it helps, MPV1 Pro, Innovate unit mentioned above, Pillar gauges (AEM - AFR and Auto Meter NOS & Fuel pressure, MSD Shift light w/RPM), 408 solid roller cam. new Texas Speed 247 heads flowing more air which seems to be my tuning failing point... Again, thanks to all for your input..

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

You are 1 smart tuner and I appreciate your sharing of knowledge. I have several names I can call myself but shall maintain the high road. lol.... Well I finally calibrated my WB 02's and added a channel for INNOVATE MOTORSPORTS LM 1 to monitor my widebands. I ran my car around my block agein to see the voltage numbers and my AFR at the 20.1, 16.7, drop to 13.5 during half throttle. When my car was built, they built it this way... to tune by WB's...... Where is the best place to start in correcting the AFR.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Y2kHawk005; 03-18-2019 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks to all and I'm stuck! Obviously still too much of a newbie to...... Ok, trying to figure all of this out..... My main fueling 02's were removed by a speed shop in Houston, tuning in WB O2's and Innovate Motorsports Cable installed to interior of car. Have an AEM AFR Pillar Meter linked to WB's where I see AFR numbers... As far as Editor when I click the OS tab I see 3 different Speed density options and 1 (1 Bar Maf). All I believe is suggested to use WB 02's for tuning. I have my latest data log posted with my tune above. i'm hopeful it's completely possible to tune my car just the way it sits.... I did not have OEM 02's before and it ran fine - how do I continue in that method? Or is that not best considering..... With an AFR 20.1 and high teens, where do I got to adjust this? I am seriously lost...

Found out today today the speed shop in Houston may be closed down... Did not want to see that happen and all in all I will give them positive feedback on really setting my car up right and bad ass in 2008. My AEM pillar AFR Meter is a Wideband linked to my WB 02's. So, I am going to need some help with tuning -