Thread: Best book for Coyote Tuning

Advanced Tuner

Best book for Coyote Tuning

Can someone recommend a book for Coyote tuning please? I've considered the Coyote cookbook and also The Tuning School's Ford Beginners book. Also curious about Greg Banish book. I've done a lot of reading on these forums and they contain some great info, also have done a lot of reading elsewhere. I'm looking for more knowledge on tuning my 6r80. I have all of the basics down like how to tune the MAF, Spark, and how HDFX (VCT) works, and other common tweaks. I need something to fill in the gaps of knowledge I have.

-The coyote cookbook: From the little I've read seems like a recommended settings book which isn't really what I'm after. I care more about the why, not what to put and forget about it. I could be wrong? It also only covers 1 or 2 pages of the 6r80 from what I've read... I need more. I do like that it's coyote focused though and the price is fair. Also not sure if it's updated. I'm also worried I may not learn anything I'm looking for...

-The tuning school's book, Ford Beginners - Excerpts look great on this book however it's not specifically Coyote focused so I'm not sure if it will be lacking because they had to cram it all in. I saw something in the sample that explained how the PCM chooses what timing table to use based off a comparison between MBT and Borderline and I didn't know this... That really impressed me and seems like what I want in a book with those sort of details. The price is steep but I'll pay it if it has what I need especially about the 6r80.

-Greg Banish's CDs - Seem to be sworn by but no idea what's really in them or if the content is outdated.

If anyone has experience with these books please pm me or post your experience. My car is a 14 GT auto and I'm not looking to get into tuning for a living, I just want to be able to fully tune my car. Truth be told it's bone stock except for a 4C and axle back mufflers but down the line I probably will go max effort N/A or PD blower and want to be ready!

I haven't seen anything new on Coyote books or courses but I bet now that the 2018+ platform is out maybe someone will make a 2011-2018+ book that covers all of the Coyotes and Transmissions associated with them.
    Last edited by blackbolt22; 02-24-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    No opinions on this? You guys learned by trial and error like me eh?

im in the same boat man. i was wondering whats the best.

Tuner in Training
    I have both the Cookbook and The Tuning School Beginners, also did the live class.

The Cookbook is more in depth as to the why your making the changes, it also touches some transmission tuning.

The tuning school book gives a novice a recipe to follow that will produce a running driving tune pending the car is issue free.

The Cookbook covers cam timing better and gives examples on using it to build and bleed boost.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom @ Overdrive View Post
    I have both the Cookbook and The Tuning School Beginners, also did the live class.

The Cookbook is more in depth as to the why your making the changes, it also touches some transmission tuning.

The tuning school book gives a novice a recipe to follow that will produce a running driving tune pending the car is issue free.

The Cookbook covers cam timing better and gives examples on using it to build and bleed boost.
    Really? So the cookbook is better? I read that the cookbook only had like 1-2 pages of trans stuff... Does it explain why you're making these changes or just a recommended settings?

Tuner in Training
    The cookbook has 6-7 pages of trans stuff, it covers on what the settings do and how to get the target shift point and feel along with tcc settings
    Tuning school book has no trans coverage, but if you go to the class they cover a little.

For the money if you don't need a holding hand adventure go with the cookbook.
    They both cover the engine tuning aspect the same.

Cookbook covers aftermarket cam tuning better.
    Tuning school Has 2 sections in the book Bolt ons and forced induction. But They are honestly carbon copies aside from boost needs more fuel and less timing

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom @ Overdrive View Post
    The cookbook has 6-7 pages of trans stuff, it covers on what the settings do and how to get the target shift point and feel along with tcc settings
    Tuning school book has no trans coverage, but if you go to the class they cover a little.

For the money if you don't need a holding hand adventure go with the cookbook.
    They both cover the engine tuning aspect the same.

Cookbook covers aftermarket cam tuning better.
    Tuning school Has 2 sections in the book Bolt ons and forced induction. But They are honestly carbon copies aside from boost needs more fuel and less timing
    Thanks for this answer, I really appreciate it!

Tuner in Training
    Would the cookbook also cover the Cyclone? From the files for Coyote I've looked at, I see most of the same tables and setting.

Potential Tuner
    Any chance that cookbook will help in trying to Tune a 3.7? I heard they are similar methods, but I am not sure to what extent. Thanks

Tuner
    Being new to tuning myself, I went to The Tuning School Ford beginners class, got their book and ordered Coyote cookbook and read everyday on the web and ask a shit load of questions. It has been a year now and feeling comfortable with tuning my VMP Gen 2R 17 coyote. My 2 cents is buy and consume all the information you can, take your time and dont make a bunch of changes at once. My instructor at the Tuning School would say, we are all 1 key stroke away from blowing shit up. Dont recall anything on the 3.7 in coyote cookbook. This website has been very helpful....Good luck

Tuner in Training
    where can I purchase the coyote cookbook and how much

Tuner

Hey guys, I've been searching for these two:
    Ford Gas Tuning using HP Tuners Software Level 1 (Beginner/Intermediate)
    Gen V Tuning using HP Tuners Software Level 3 (Advanced)

Any chance to buy a used copy? My son wants to apply for an internship at Mustang Dynamometer in Twinsburg. So I wanted to homeschool him a little.

That's how we burned a few blocks. I'm an engineering college student, and I love doing various experiments with code, but I don't always have time for it to get it all done. I started using this source https://papersowl.com/examples/ with examples for every subject - I come prepared to class, and besides that, I manage to get busy with the stuff I like. I usually take care of everything independently without reading any books.
    Last edited by Katherinehunnicutt; 07-03-2022 at 05:21 PM.

Potential Tuner
    And I personally liked the book coyote cookbook! It is interesting and fascinating, I read it for a long time and found a lot of useful information! For me, this book is like drawing lessons here step-by-step drawing manuals, everything is very well written!