Thread: Possible Incorrect Info from HP Tuners in Audi MED17.1.1 Tune File

Possible Incorrect Info from HP Tuners in Audi MED17.1.1 Tune File

I've been going through the tune for my 2012 A4 2.0T TFSI and noticed that the variable cam information may be incorrect. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm this. In the tune the variable camshaft is labeled as an intake cam. I've been reading technical documents, and it looks like the AVS system for the E888 is on the exhaust cam. I attached the technical doc below, and a pic from the tune.

Audi Variable Cam.PNG

Audi TFSI AVS Info.PNG

Link: http://www.vaglinks.com/vaglinks_com..._2.0L_TFSI.pdf

EDIT: So I spent more time digging and I was wrong. The intake cam has VVT, and the exhaust cam has variable lift (AVS). So as far as I can tell everything in the tune file is correct. I am still trying to find the OEM cam specs for a gen 2 E888. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe someone else can learn from this.
    Last edited by evolmotorsprt; 02-24-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt View Post
    I've been going through the tune for my 2012 A4 2.0T TFSI and noticed that the variable cam information may be incorrect. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm this. In the tune the variable camshaft is labeled as an intake cam. I've been reading technical documents, and it looks like the AVS system for the E888 is on the exhaust cam. I attached the technical doc below, and a pic from the tune.

Audi Variable Cam.PNG

Audi TFSI AVS Info.PNG

Link: http://www.vaglinks.com/vaglinks_com..._2.0L_TFSI.pdf

EDIT: So I spent more time digging and I was wrong. The intake cam has VVT, and the exhaust cam has variable lift (AVS). So as far as I can tell everything in the tune file is correct. I am still trying to find the OEM cam specs for a gen 2 E888. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe someone else can learn from this.
    Thanks!
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt View Post
    I've been going through the tune for my 2012 A4 2.0T TFSI
    Evol,

New to the scene and you may have the answers I am looking for.

Is the support for the AVS native in the HP Tuners MED 17 files? I know some tune houses have shy'd away from it and some don't.

I took the leap last week and ordered my kit, but am worried about the compatibility. I'm currently on a tune with Stage 2 but hate the program they use!

Thanks for any info and guidance!

Ken

Tuner in Training
    For CETA, there are some AVS-related tables available, mostly under spark. With that said, I purchased the user defined parameters upgrade and have been extremely happy with it. You can find and purchase super map packs from a site like WinOLS and then use those to figure out what parameters/tables you need to modify that aren't in HP Tuners. If you have the user defined parameters feature, then you can just add the parameters/tables yourself, but I believe you can also submit a ticket to ask HP Tuners to add them (e.g., please add TVUB, KRKTE or KRKATE).

Quote Originally Posted by mukhery View Post
    For CETA, there are some AVS-related tables available, mostly under spark. With that said, I purchased the user defined parameters upgrade and have been extremely happy with it. You can find and purchase super map packs from a site like WinOLS and then use those to figure out what parameters/tables you need to modify that aren't in HP Tuners. If you have the user defined parameters feature, then you can just add the parameters/tables yourself, but I believe you can also submit a ticket to ask HP Tuners to add them (e.g., please add TVUB, KRKTE or KRKATE).
    Correct, if you feel a def is lacking and have requests, please be sure to get us a ticket so we can fix it ASAP!
    If its not broke, just give it time.

Tuner
    Well... I have a plan... not sure if it's good, but I'm going to give it a go!

I have a current Stage 2 tune and tuning software... I want to transition to HPTuner but I find almost no base from which to work from. I cannot read from my current tune... no real surprise... so here's my plan.

I am going to export (by hook or by crook... or just straight transcription)... the existing maps from my current software and import them (probably the same way) into HPT.

That should give me a nearly complete Stage 2 (and I have others if this works, including a base K04 tune!!) tune from which to jump off.

Is there any inherent flaw that I have not discovered yet that you guys with the greater experience can shine a light on?

If not, I see some late night excel work in my future!

Cheers!!

Ken

Tuner in Training
    If you somehow have an unencrypted binary read from your other tool, you might be able to send it to HP Tuners to have them wrap it into an .hpt file. You could also always get a binary read by opening the ECU and using a tool like KTAG to do a read in boot mode.