Thread: E39 - No throttle pedal readings

Potential Tuner

E39 - No throttle pedal readings

So I have an E39 from a 2012Buick Regal with a modified OEM harness attached to an LNF motor. I can get the motor to start and idle. Although it idles at ~2k with no VSS sensor hooked up but enabled and ~1.5k with the VSS disabled. In either case there is no response or change in the logging to the throttle pedal. I have check continuity between the ECU and the pedal. I have seen that the resistance between the source/return and signal change with the pedal being moved. I have tried 3 different pedal PNs. 1 from a Saturn ION, 1 vette, and 1 that is supposed to be from a 2012 buick (same used VIN stored in ECU to get part number).
    Anyone have an idea on what is going on?
    Tune File: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YDg...ew?usp=sharing
    Log from running: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Alh...ew?usp=sharing

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    last i checked the the throttle body, tps, and oxygen sensors must match the application the ecu is from.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    According to the ECU pinout for the 2012 Buick Regal I have, the TB and MAF are correct. Although. I found a DTC pending/set for the humidity sensor/IAT2. I'm guessing this ECU is a late 2012 and GM swapped over? The throttle body is likely a similar story and the ECU is expecting the newer SENT version.

I just happen to have both of those on the shelf from dealing with a previous company that sold me an ECU/harness that would work with the LNF. It ended up being programmed for the LEA instead. Hopefully, that is the issue.

i bought an ldk from a buick and swapped it into my cobalt ss 08. it was a long block so i transfered all of my parts over from the cobalt and it fired right up with no issues. once any mix and matches are sorted it should fire up and run like you would expect.

Potential Tuner
    So alldatadiy is not 100% correct for the 2.0L 2012 Buick Regal. The ECU definitely expects a different throttle body and MAF. The engine idles properly now. Not sure why but it took using the pedal from my Solstice GXP to get a working pedal. Now the C6 vette pedal and Saturn ION pedals I have work. All I can assume is the ECU expects a certain "range" initially and then just deals with it. I was not able to get the correct pedal to run.

Now all that remains is getting the VSS to function. I have a spacer machined to use the Buick digital sensor in the Solstice AR5 VR sensor location.

progress.....nice!

Potential Tuner
    So I ended up punting on the 2012 ECU. I could never get the ECU to not throw a DTC relating to the throttle body and/or pedal.

I've picked up a 2011 Regal CXL (it is a 2.0L) ECU that uses the older analog TB signals. Still can't get the VSS sensor to show up. It also always shows the clutch as depressed in the Scanner. I can get the brake pedal position to change when moving the sensor. Just not the clutch. And the clutch sensor does work as the "brake" sensor when swapped.

I haven't completely mapped the 2012/GS values into the '11 ECU yet. But I think I got all the things that matter for getting this thing to at least run. Anyone see something missed?

First_long_run.hpl
    2011_buick_baseline.hpt
    Last edited by mcfandango; 03-16-2019 at 06:16 PM.