Thread: 2009 Mustang 4.6 Need Ford Tuning Help

Tuner in Training

2009 Mustang 4.6 Need Ford Tuning Help

I'm working with a 2009 Mustang 4.6. Ive tuned LS but not much Ford. That being said I can navigate and Get a few things done. Problem I'm having is customer brought to me thinking it needed a tune. Come to find out He had the car and ran it with current mods on a hand held SCT. Car ran fine. Did a clutch swap and randomly started having lean spike issue. Ive checked Fuel PSI and what I could see of the harness to make sure they didn't hurt it. Started tuning under the impression it just needed a tune as I was told. Car will run lean.... very lean. Like its got a quarter size vac leak. Found small vac leak and repaired. Found faulty injector clips and repaired. Car still lean. Ive adjusted the tune over and over trying to add fuel. Still lean. In closed loop after several min of run time and keeping it running the computer will shut off O2 sensors and car will idle right. Still lean via wide band, but it will act somewhat right. I adjusted the injector flow rate down a bit though to fake a force feed of fuel. (just a test) Acts better. Strange thing is I can not get the PCM to show me air flow in the histograms. ie No real movement on the MAF histo. No increase in vac on the MAP sensor. Do I have a corrupted PCM? Anyone ever have a random Fuel delivery problem? Here is a scan and a file. Please don't pick it apart This is just my current hail marry to try to get it to do something.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    What mods are all on the car?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwhite5.0 View Post
    What mods are all on the car?
    Intake Cam long tubes

Advanced Tuner
    What intake and cam?

Advanced Tuner
    Are phaser limiters installed?

Advanced Tuner
    What was done to the imrcs?

Tuner in Training
    Intake- Ford Racing from Summit unaware of specs as I did not install

Comp Cam- unaware of specs as other shop installed cam. Best I can tell its a mild cam.

Imrcs- not fimiliar with Ford so when intake was installed im not sure what happened.

All mods on car ran as usual via SCT handheld. Im assuming something happened like pinched harness failed fuel system or possibly faulty pcm. I have had a bad Copperhead PCM on a 2011 Mustang also with SCT handheld programer. Is there a red flag in the tune I need to adress?

Advanced Tuner
    Ford racing intake does not have IMRC's in them. Go to your IMRC tab and change both boxes to disabled.

Then in your speed density tab, there are four tables, Map at Zero Airmass (Open) and (Closed) and Map per Airmass (Open) and (closed). You need to copy the Open table to the closed table.

Not sure what cold air intake is on it, but if it's JLT, your MAF Curve, Airflow vs Voltage need to be multiplied by 2.1 to get in range of where it should be.

In the variable cam tab, make sure all of the tables are limited to not be higher than 18*

Change injector back to stock.

if the issues comes with the clutch changing, than you don't have a problem with the tune.
    I believe you connectes the O2 Sensor harness wrong. B1Sensor is connected with Bank2 harness. Some customers who think they they can exchange the cluch did this mistake.

Tuner in Training
    I questioned if he hooked the O2s up right. But I will try both recomendations and see.

Advanced Tuner
    If all connections are connected correctly and nothing else was change just the clutch check for P0300 or P0310 DTC code after changing clutch? do a crank relearn procedure. if he has an X4 you can use it under special functions..

Advanced Tuner
    If they were switched sides, shouldnt they still read more?
    Everything I mentioned are stock values and does not match with the mods on the car. Fueling fault from 66% lean fuel corrections. It tries running the stock SD with FRPP intake manifold. Stock maf transfer.

Tuner in Training
    every car I have seen with the 02's switched one reads very rich and the other very lean

Advanced Tuner
    DO you Have a check engine light? if so what the codes?
    are you Using the SCT tune or trying to build the tune in HP?
    yes the O2's will read but incorrectly as MFDCAR51 has stated. Make sure there an no exhaust leaks since you had to remove the exhaust to change the clutch , clutch relearn is important try and do that, 66% lean the car shouldnt be running.

Tuner in Training
    So I did sugessted changes. It improved and trys to be normal. I have no Special Functions while scaning. Certain things I should have and see for some reason Ive lost or never had. Its like I dont have full comunication with the PCM. When I took my MAF vs Airflow Voltage table to x 2.1 it went to crap. I dialed it back and got it better. I set injector flow back to stock and it didnt like that. I didnt get a chance to work on the tune much yesterday But ill get at it tonight. Dose anyone have a stock 2009 file i can look at? The repository here, I have trouble downloading files from it. Not sure why. Should I have Special functions while scaning? Can anyone tell me why my histograms will not drop down the row axis? I know thats big with correcting tables and this one will not.

Advanced Tuner
    you should always return the vehicle back to stock before using hp tuners so u know u have a clean slate

if u hadnt done so prob best to before proceeding

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMcgwier13 View Post
    I questioned if he hooked the O2s up right. But I will try both recomendations and see.
    Don't ask someone. check it by self! This is the only way to know that ist right.

Tuner in Training
    I couldnt return to stock. And was told it had been. I discovered it was not back after my download. He didnt have the handheld avalible. I did correct the O2 plugs. I questioned them after seeing codes and random O2 activity. I cant use the handheld to return to stock as thats what I really want.