Thread: GM ECU reflash or Hp Tuners

Tuner in Training

GM ECU reflash or Hp Tuners

my best friend just bought an 06 Cobalt SS s/c and if he does the stage 2 upgrade should he go with the GM reflash or should i hook him up with my Hp Tuners?....any opinions help.

Tuner in Training
    I would say it depends on your level of tuning ability.

Probably more max power to be had from a good custom tune, however I'm sure GM engineers made sure the stage two upgrade was safe, streetable, and warrantable.

Tuner
    copy his stage 2 tune and flash it on ur pcm..be sure to get bigger injectors and smaller pulley

Advanced Tuner
    If you BUY the stage 2, get the FREE reflash, then you can work with the tune, or you can do what I did and just went smaller and used HP tuners, I pull way harder then my buddy with the pulleyboys 2.8 pulley with GM stage 2, torque brace, gmpp exhaust and fujita intake, and harder then both other guys with 2.7 pulley's 60lb injectors, 3 inch exhaust and fujita intakes. I'm talking with 4 people in mine and them alone I pull and I have stock intake, stock exhaust, 2.7 billetflow pulley, and 42lb injectors . both guys with the 2.7 have the intense pcm.

Also before you do mods realise that these cars take mods very well, IF YOU DON'T BEAT ON IT 100% of the time. Mine is going on 7k since feb and has been modded since then and runs fine. My buddy bought his in november and has 34k miles and has not only 2 cylinders with valves burnt off, but also a piston with a hole in it. Right now he's getting a new engine dropped in. but he drives bad, lilke floors it anywhere and burns tires off all the time..... already had a new tranny put in at abour 10k when he brought to the track for the first time, he raced the engine all day then when he got to the track the tranny was toast and he pushed it just enough to blow a hole through it. but lessons learned. These cars are great with mods, just enjoy the car don't beat on it

Sorry so long but just wanted to say it all .
    06 Cobalt SS SC
    2.7 pulley
    42.5lb Injectors
    HPT VCM Suite tuned
    Custom SRI
    Tuned
    13.701 @ 103 Mph
    Best 1/4 mile Stock
    14.295 @ 102 Mph

02 TURBO Cavy 2200
    Finished
    Times coming soon

That must be beating it pretty hard... I road race and haven't had any issues with a 7200 rpm limiter and all that jazz...
    2005 Stage 2 Saturn Ion Redline
    260whp, 225wtq 14.0 @ 13.7 (2nd time dragging)

RedlineForums.com Moderator and Eager Tuning Noob.
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by L61Ecotec
    my best friend just bought an 06 Cobalt SS s/c and if he does the stage 2 upgrade should he go with the GM reflash or should i hook him up with my Hp Tuners?....any opinions help.
    There are advantages to both setups. If he's not familar with tuning, I would highly suggest getting the GM tune and then tweaking it over time. You're gonna spend weeks just getting it close to where they already have it, and I put down 260whp with it, a slightly smaller pulley and a K&N intake.
    2005 Stage 2 Saturn Ion Redline
    260whp, 225wtq 14.0 @ 13.7 (2nd time dragging)

RedlineForums.com Moderator and Eager Tuning Noob.
    Chicago, IL

Tuner in Training
    ok, i thought the stage 2 was gonna lock the PCM like it does for the eco s/c for the j-bodies. its all clear now