Thread: problems with 5.3 computer or hp tuners

Potential Tuner

problems with 5.3 computer or hp tuners

I have a 2004 5.3 swapped into my s10 I hooked up hp tuners and removed the vats then wrote the tune. few days later i went diagnose why the fuel pump was not turning on/ why only 5 volts to the power wire and when trying to connect to hp tuners again either editor or scanner is tells me dectect protocol failed i have power from my obd and from the usb cord, all grounds are good and everything works fine when i plug it into my 2007 gmc sierra 1500. What would cause it to work then stop communicating just a few days later? the obd light on my mpvi2 has a steady flash to if that means anything.

Tuner in Training
    Did you run the vehicle after writing the program without the Vats? Did the Fuel pump work at that time? Usually when you do not have a Fuel pump running and you cannot read the computer, the computer is locked. Have you tried to write the program again? I had this issue on one of mine I am working on. I had to rewrite the program and then all was good.

Potential Tuner
    the fuel pump never turned on at all i think because of me having to wire in a new plug for it and maybe got the wires mixed up however I was still able to read the computer the first time and write the program now I cannot even read the computer to rewrite the program. but the relay for the fuel pump does click when i turn the key to on.

Tuner in Training
    If the relay is not kicking on and you cannot read it, then it sounds like the PCM is locked. I had this happen on 2 of mine. I selected Write VIN and then selected Write calibration. It then corrected it so the PCM would function again.

Potential Tuner
    ok definitely going to try this where is write VIN the only thing I have found is change VIN

Potential Tuner
    that fixed it thanks!

Tuner in Training
    Glad it worked for you!!!