Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed - E67 CTSV Tune - PE working but Wideband not showing change

Tuner in Training

Help needed - E67 CTSV Tune - PE working but Wideband not showing change

I have completed the SD tune and the car runs GREAT. No hesitation, stalling or bucking, PERFECT Idle, even with the larger Cam.

I have disabled DFCO and COT (no cats on the car anyways) and have been logging the MAF values so that I can tune the MAF curve, however when accelerating and PE turns on, I am running into issues. I see the EQ Ratio COMMANDED drop to .789 or .890, etc. but the Wideband is not showing the change. In some cases the car is actually leaning out instead of going richer. The car bucks and hesitates, and does not have the power it did when just running with the SD tune.

I have attached a short log file and If someone is able to point me in the right direction it would be appreciated. I thought figuring out the VVE Tables was a pain, but this is well..... damn.

Car mods:

E67 ECU
    LY6 6.0 with LSA Supercharger - ZL1 Lid - re-enforced brick
    ported and polished supercharger/ported and polished snout/ported and polished throttle body
    MLS Head gasket with ARP Head studs - 9.6:1 compression
    823 heads - ported/polished
    1 7/8 longtube headers H pipe, true dual exhaust
    FIC injectors - fuel injector data loaded into HP Tuners
    Cam Specs: 231/239, .640"/.629", 115 LSA
    Dual PAC valve springs/Ti retainers
    Running the LS3 MAF
    STOCK Crank and supercharger pulleys

Advanced Tuner
    what does the wideband read during the pull? your log shows like 17afr actual. is the wideband new? if not, how old and are you sure its working properly? you have maf set up wrong - its needs to be 200 for disable and 100 for re enable (not 3800) under dynamic airflow for maf take over. if a ve tune was only done and maf wasnt then chances are the maf isnt tuned right. i dont know what injectors you have but they are barely even working so either your running way to large injectors for your setup or maf isnt tuned right so from 6k hz to the end of the maf chart add 30%(1.3) and see if the wideband gets closer to your target
    Last edited by TCSS07; 02-27-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TCSS07 View Post
    you have maf set up wrong - its needs to be 200 for disable and 100 for re enable (not 3800) under dynamic airflow for maf take over.
    The wideband is reading 1.0 to 1.2 lambda most of the time when PE was engaged at a value of .789. The wideband is the AEM Can Bus unit, has only been installed for about a week. One wideband on each header. They read virtually identically. The readings of the wideband are in the log file just below the commanded ratio currently I am only logging one of the widebands in HP Tuners. I am running the FIC 98 LB injectors. I am trying to tune the MAF now, but I cant even get the car to accelerate beyond about 3000 RPM without some bucking if I go full throttle.

I just looked at my dynamic airflow, I was under the impression that I only needed to set the high RPM disable to 200 (which I have done) Do I also need to set the High RPM Re-enable to 100 as well ?

Tuner in Training
    what does the wideband read during the pull? your log shows like 17afr actual.
    Tune Cap.JPG

I am seeing a 11.16 AFR or .789 PE Commanded value, but the WB is showing that it is stuck at 1.4 lambda. Where are you seeing 17 AFR Actual? Am I really missing this ?
    Last edited by xtantaudio; 02-27-2019 at 09:23 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    sorry i was just converting the lambda to afr my bad and yes to the maf setting because it will still cause some conflict with the ecm and fueling control because your telling the ecm to use maf only but still use ve because you never really disabled it
    Last edited by TCSS07; 02-27-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Tuner in Training
    TCSS07, I will give this a shot tomorrow evening and see what I can get to happen.

Advanced Tuner
    you should also smooth out the timing a little bit - you got a big dip in the timing at 2800 it should be more of smooth blend

Tuner in Training
    you should also smooth out the timing a little bit - you got a big dip in the timing at 2800 it should be more of smooth blend
    Yes, I need to work on that. There was a little knock around that area, so I removed some timing, until I get around to working out if it is false knock first. The knock sensors are not in the same spot as the original location, due to custom motor mounts.

Advanced Tuner
    First thing that i saw is that you have "3800 rpms" on your "high rpm re-enable"...that should be something lower than the 200 rpms that you have for the high rpm disable. Im not 100% sure if thats your problem, but it could be contributing to it. Also i noticed your injector DC is next to nothing even when you accelerate the change is very minimal. You have all the injector data in correctly?

Advanced Tuner
    lean.png

seems like you are extremely lean in this area..almost 50%? Your injector DC is only 14ish%? Are those injectors that big?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sgod1100 View Post
    lean.png

seems like you are extremely lean in this area..almost 50%? Your injector DC is only 14ish%? Are those injectors that big?
    This is the issue that I am having trouble with, the commanded AFR is 11.X, but the wideband is showing that the car (ECU) isnt actually making the injectors do it, and going lean. I will be trying to change the 3800 value to 100 later this evening to see if I am able to solve the issue.

Running the FIC 98 LB injectors, dual walbro 450LPH pumps, return style vacuum referenced regulator, 58 PSI on the regulator at idle with the vehicle running.

I am not sure what the duty cycle should really be... I do know that I am seeing about 59 to 65% duty cycle at WOT when just running on the SD Tune, which when I switch to E85, the duty cycle should be in a good range at WOT.
    Last edited by xtantaudio; 02-28-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    If your getting 60% idc on ve only then your probably just not tuned for maf since that was at 30%

Tuner in Training
    If your getting 60% idc on ve only then your probably just not tuned for maf since that was at 30%
    Yes, that is what I am trying to do, is tune the MAF, however when I run the car as it is now, I get bucking and hesitation. I will try changing the re-enable setting to 100 instead of 3800 in the tune and continue trying to tune the MAF, unless my MAF tuning process is wrong ? I was using the MAF tuning process that I found here on the forum.

I will post back later this evening after I have changed the re-enable to 100 and re-drive the car.

Advanced Tuner
    Once you adjust the high-rpm enable just add 25-30% to the entire maf table above around 6khz...then adjust from there.

Tuner in Training
    Once you adjust the high-rpm enable just add 25-30% to the entire maf table above around 6khz...then adjust from there.
    sgod1100, Thank you for the recommendation. I will give this a try as well and report back !

Advanced Tuner
    keep an eye on that a/f ratio though...if you see you are going lean still make sure to let off! Good luck...let us know

Tuner in Training
    keep an eye on that a/f ratio though...if you see you are going lean still make sure to let off! Good luck...let us know

New drive and some new data. Car is running a bit better, I followed instructions and lowered the re-enable to 100 RPM, and raised the MAF Table above 6000HZ by 25%

I am still seeing that UNDER 4000 rpm at WOT, the AFR/lambda lowers to .789 and the wideband reads the change of more fuel being added. When the RPM's go over about 4k, commanded is staying at .789 but the wideband starts showing that the Lambda goes back to around 1.0.

I have attached a new log and the tune for additional review.

I am wondering if I just need to add more (higher) Values to the MAF Calibration table like I did before the drive ?

Drive back - 2-28-2019.hpl

Matt's 350ZL1 FIC Data - Perfect Idle - MAF Tuning #7 - 2-28-2019.hpt
    Last edited by xtantaudio; 02-28-2019 at 09:10 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    yeah, your getting it back on track if the wideband responded to the changes made. just make a histogram logging eq ratio error in the format of the maf chart and make your changes to the cells accordingly until your actual and commanded fall in line and try to keep it as smooth as possible and work it from there
    Last edited by TCSS07; 02-28-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    lean 2.png

Look at the attached image..by the time you reach about 9000hz you are 65% lean!! This is at WOT too. I'm by no means a professional tuner, but looking at your log you need alot more fuel added above about 3500 rpms. It looks like just above 8200hz is when you start to go lean. From there the afr error just increase dramatically. If I were you I'd add at least 35% fuel above 9000hz. Do you have afr error histogram setup like TCSS07 mentioned? You will see in the attached image AFR cmd, WB AFR (actual) and AFR error: That "AFR error percentage" is what is needed to be multiplied to your current maf curve to help get your fueling back in line and to not run so lean. Clear as mud?

Advanced Tuner
    amidst all my babbling, yes you need to add much more fuel in the higher hz cells of your maf curve. I'm also willing to bet that the knock you are seeing is because of the severe lean condition