Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 89 chevy pickup with 5.3

Tuner in Training

89 chevy pickup with 5.3

First I am a newbie and should not be this far into this issue that I am, but here I go. We had a local tuner guy up here that walk away and left a lot of people that I had send to him in a mess. Now I have gotten all of them fix to some degree but one. This is a 5.3 , 4l60, with a cam which I do not know anything about and without pulling it apart I want know. It has a psi 1092 harness and it is pinned correctly. I have already put a bigger torque converter in (2400) and check all the sensor to make sure they work correctly and they all work put the 02 sensors. I have put two new sets on this truck and I cannot get them do anything. I have checked all the wiring and it reads correctly and are pin out correctly at the pcm which is 0411 and I think they have the right reading at the bung. Pink 12V, ground to engine, the case is grounded to itself, and I am reading some voltages on tan and green/purple. I have work on this thing for two weeks and spend a lot of time on the net trying to find something that will help me. the first set of reading is the Eugene 89 5.3 truck pcm and scan. the second is David 2001 5.7 pcm with Eugene test2 scan. This is all I have to send you and you may need more and I can get it if I know what you need to help me. I don?t want you to give me the answer, I just need to know which way to look on this. Just remember I am way over my head on this. The scan with David 5.7 pcm didn't idle well at all and ran great down the road and Eugene pcm idle OK, but not great and I think that if I can get the O2's to work it would help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Need to add many more channels for proper data collection.
    Also, both tunes are not setup for the 5.3 cylinder volume.
    Injector data may or may not match correctly. Need to check numbers on injectors for proper data.
    Without the ECM having correct data input for the 5.3 its no wonder why it doesn't want to run.
    I would double check injector numbers and maybe find out where and what this engine/trans came out of so that you can compare and copy over the proper base data to start from.
    Once all the proper data has been put in place then you can start to correct airflow models and all the other stuff that needs changed for this thing to operate properly.
    Your logs show a fuel system fault. What is the code the ECM keeps throwing?
    If you find out what year and model the engine came from and the injector parts numbers we can help you find the correct base tune to copy the proper data from.

I gave you some better channels to use. Get a wideband so you are not guessing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, I have the year and model on both the pcm that I used and I will get them. I do know that the motor was overhaul and a cam was put in it, but don't know what it is. Thanks Norm

The tune files you posted gave us the PCM year and model of what those came from. We need to figure out engine, injector, throttle body, intake manifold, fuel system and exhaust system specs.
    So looking at the part number of the harness that is used, it says its for a LS3 manifold and injectors. '99 - '06 VORTEC W/ 4L60E STANDALONE WIRING HARNESS (DBC) WITH LS3 INJECTORS
    Is this true?
    What is the injector part number?
    Are you sure it is a 5.3?
    How is the fuel system setup? Corvette filter? Fuel pressure regulator? Vac referenced regulator or not? Factory fuel rail or aftermarket? What is the pressure at key on?
    What is the check engine code present?
    You should use the "eugene" ecm as you said the trans is a 4l60 and that ECM matches that. The "david" ecm is for a 4l80e trans. Lets just stick to one ECM and make it understand what is going on.
    Sorry for the redundant questions but...
    Last edited by DHC; 02-28-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I am sure it is a 5.3 the PCM for both is a 0411 the 89 one is a 02 pcm and the other one is 01 Chevy truck 0411. the harness is a PSI 1092 and it is a blue/red. The intake is a PROCOMP china one that is not sheet medal and the throttle body looks to be a stock 70 something CFM. I will look at the injectors tomorrow afternoon and get the part numbers. It has the corvette filter/fuel pressure regulator (58PSI). aftermarket fuel rail. Like I said the truck ran the best it had every ran with the 2001 0411 PCM. It just did not idle good and the o2 don't work. I have put 4 or 5 0411 PCM on this truck from stock (will not run at all) to a mod one that would not run either. The truck has shorty heads with bunds installed in them. I do not see any vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks. I will check tomorrow and see what each one of them came out of. Thanks for all the help Norm

Tuner in Training
    I just checked the Eugene PCM and it is a 2000 Silverado c2500 6.0 most likely a 4l80. I will let you know on the other one and the ejectors later today. Thanks Norm

Tuner in Training
    I just checked the David ECM and it is for 02 5.3 1500 Silverado 4 wheel DR 4 speed over drive. This is the tune that I would like to use because the other PCM has been tuned by the guy that left town and god knows what is going on with it. Thanks Norm

Sounds like you have a hodge podge of crap. I suggest you stick to one ECM, get new injectors with proper data and start over with a factory tune for a 5.3 and 4l60e.
    I was a betting man I would say you are in for a headache due to hodge podge cheap parts.
    Wish you best of luck.

Tuner in Training
    you are so right. I am on my way to pull a injector to see what they are and go from there. I am also looking to change the intake to a ls1/2 OEM type. and go from there. Thanks for the help Norm

Tuner in Training
    I pull the injector rails and there are two type of injectors on the motor. First one is 25323974 (21.7LBS) and the second one is 25317628 (22 LBS). I am going to run the motor and use the new set of channels tomorrow and I will post the result on that then. Thanks to everyone Norm

What? 2 different sets of injectors? Or some are 25323974 (21.7LBS) and some are 25317628 (22 LBS)? EFI systems don't work like that, that is SO WRONG on so many levels it is not even funny.

Well that's a huge problem. I would get 8 of the same injector and start over. I wouldn't even start the vehicle until the injector issue is solved and correct data is put in the correct ECM

Tuner in Training
    my question is 22 lbs. enough for this motor with a cam and better exhaust?

I would look at https://fuelinjectorconnection.com/ We use these guys as they are competitive in pricing and provide data needed for all they sell and have stood behind everything for us so far, good company to deal with. Just give them the part number on the injector you have so they can match length and electrical connection, you might take a picture for them to reference. A 42lb injector would be a good all around size with enough room to grow. With shipping and such you will be well under $500. The cost of this will ease the headache and make life just a little easier. Just tell them to send you the data for HP tuners. They send a excel spreadsheet and you copy and paste the correct set of data into the correct spots. If you get the spreadsheet and post it I can change the tune in the Eugene ECM to match what is needed. You can then compare the 2 to see what I did. From there we let the tuning begin.

What year/make/model are the O2 sensors from? You should have battery voltage on one wire (from a fuse, hot at key-on), and a ground controlled by the PCM, for the heater circuit. Then the other two are a sensor signal ('HO2S High Signal', between 0 and 1 volt) & sensor ground ('HO2S Low Signal').

"some voltages on tan and green/purple" - is that on the harness side with the sensor disconnected, or backprobing with everything assembled & key-on?

Tuner in Training
    the o2 are ones for a 98 -02 vortex truck (AC-DELCO AFS 98). They are a 4 wire and the LH side, pin A is tan to Blue 29(and it has a ground to case of o2), pin B is purple to blue 69, pin c is ground to chassis thru the harness, pin D is 12 ignition thru fuse in harness fuse box. The RH side, pin A is tan to Blue 28(and it has a ground to case of o2), pin B is purple to blue 68, pin c is ground to chassis thru the harness, pin D is 12 ignition thru fuse in harness fuse box. I don't see how the PCM can control the o2 thru the ground on pin c, I would think that is thru pin A, and I could be wrong. The voltages on tan and purple is back probing with key on. I have spend hours on this issue trying to find out why the o2 don't work right and there a number of issue on the internet site that had the same problems and only one guy said what he does to correct it and that was a bad injector scale that his son had put in the tune and he change it and corrected the problem. I order a new set of injector (28 LBS) yesterday and I am getting a spreadsheet from injector connection and that should help. Thanks Norm

Oops, sorry about the heater ground thing! 2002 Silverado with case-grounded sensors diagrams look to match what you're describing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    That the same diagram I was using to trouble shoot the circuit and everything was where it was suppose to be. The only thing you can't check is the voltage from the purple wire from the PCM and I think that is what telling the PCM the info from the O2 sensor. And again I could be wrong as I have been so far. Thanks again for everyone help Norm

Sure you can measure voltage on the ppl/wht wires. And you should. Key on engine off, fire up the scanner, backprobe the O2 signal wires, see if the voltage measured matches the voltage displayed in the scanner. With the engine running the O2 volts will jump around too fast (if the sensors are working) to compare multimeter to scanner but you can get an impression if they are jumping around at a similar rate.

Tuner in Training
    I will try that after I get the new injector and plugs end. Thanks Norm

Tuner in Training
    I am trouble shooting the o2 sensor out of the truck and I am missing something. A is tan to blue 29 should be grounded to the case and B is purple to blue 69 (data) C is ground and D is 12V. I have two of the o2 sensor out of the truck and I don't have a ground to case on A. Either the diagram I am using and it is the same one that blindsquirrel send me is wrong or I am missing something. Three of the o2 sensor came from eBay and one AutoZone. None of them is reading a ground on pin A and what I am seeing it should be. Please someone with more info then me turn on the light. Thanks again Norm