Thread: was connected but now not

Advanced Tuner

was connected but now not

Well long story short bought a new laptop and had to goto the usb to serial connector. Had a problem getting the usp addapter to goto com 1, have that solved now. Hooked up to the truck fine and went to editor to read the VCM which it hooked up fine and about 3/4 of the way through it timed out at "validating the integrity". So I tried again and now I get the "interface not found error" now. I double checked intrenally that the usb was still on com 1 and that it was working properly, and it is. Any suggestions?
    86 Fiero Convertible 3800sc/4T65E HD(2002)

Senior Tuner
    Might be a bad serial cable. They go bad after a while due to all the tugging and bending around the laptop. You can pick one up from any Best Buy or Radio Shack. Just make sure it's not a "null modem" or "crossover" type cable.

-Ken

Advanced Tuner
    ok will try that and if any probs then i'll repost.
    86 Fiero Convertible 3800sc/4T65E HD(2002)

Potential Tuner
    This same problem keeps hapening to my most recent version I downloaded.

Go to control panel/system/hardware/device manager then... PORTS/advanced and you'll see Com 1 "in use". For some reason, it will not open the port after the error. So switch it to COM2, 3. (Cant remember if it works on 4).

Trust me, itll do it again. Then COM1 and COM2 will be "in use" and unable to use again. You have to power the laptop down completely. not restart... (Unplug the cable before!!) Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesnt. I am not sure why.

I dont know if its a laptop hardware issue or a software issue with either the Prolific usb to serial driver or the HPtuners software. However, I don't recall it ever having this problem until I downloaded the latest version 2 weeks ago. VERY VERY FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!

What laptop you using? Toshiba satelite A25/S207 here.

Anyone have any input here????