Thread: beginner guidelines for Tuner

Potential Tuner

Thumbs up beginner guidelines for Tuner

Hi Guys,
    Need an Advice
    Am beginner who is planning to start my career as tuner, could you please share tips and guidelines how I should it and what are the step need to take in order to become tuner.

Am looking forward to your valuable feedback guys.

thanks

Potential Tuner
    I came here looking for some advice myself. I don't plan on a career at this point. I'm looking to get into this for some basic stuff to start with such as turning off/tuning stabilitrak, o2 sensors (some of the basics). I haven't purchased HP tuners or anything else yet but I am interested in more in depth things since I have a supercharged '14 Chevy SS sedan. I'm willing to spend the money to do some of the simple things for myself and people I know but not sure how difficult this stuff is in the end. Hoping someone will shed some light on it.

If you have gas money and endless amounts of time, just using the software and reading about it would get you somewhere.

I'd say most guys started doing this back in the mid to late 2000's when HP Tuners was really getting popular. So branching from one generation of computer to the next wasn't as huge of deal. Now if you want to get started you have to learn everything from the basic's to the most complex factory torque based operating system out in the late model vehicles.

Get a few books, take several courses and be prepared to spend thousands of dollars just to get your feet wet in the tuning world. If you only want to specialize is one brand then it could take less time but figure 1+ years if you grind at it.

Greg Banish makes good material, the tuning school offer courses. I'm sure there are several other courses to take as well. But just having vehicles to work with is the best hands on, ideally stock vehicles then work into mods. Or say you wanted to do GM, having a early 2000's vehicle, then a mid 2000's, 2010-2014 and then a 2015+ to work with. That would get you like every generation of computer to look at.

Also you can browse the forum for files or the tune repository for stock file to reference once you have an account setup.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Senior Tuner
    Pick another career is my advise.

Potential Tuner
    Hi 5FDP

Thanks for valuable advice. if you don't mind could you please share with some books of tuning course.
    because am based in Dubai. here no Tuning schools available
    Last edited by NadeeraWick; 03-11-2019 at 03:53 AM.

Tuner in Training
    It's headache, unless you know what you are doing. in my advice start with your own car first.
    If everything went well, you can go to another level.
    Keep watching videos here and there and listen to people that have experience in this field.
    Keep in mind to keep downloading files from the repository, because manufactures doesn't only change the look of their car they change the ECU too.
    This is it good luck. direct MSG for any question
    btw I live in Dubai also

Potential Tuner
    This is a good book to have...

I just started tuning myself and these are the books Ive read so far.

The Ultimate GM EFI Tuning Guide: For HP Tuners
    Textbook by Donald LaSota ($80)

This is a download @ $20, a good buy aswell..
    MASTER EFI TUNER - GM EFI