Thread: Procharged 4.3L

Procharged 4.3L

I was wondering if there is anybody on this forum that has tuned a 4.3L S10 with a procharger. I am new to this forum and the world of tuning, and am looking to get this s10 running properly with the blower, which requires the ecm to be reflashed to deal with the added air flow first. I haven’t purchased HP tuner yet, but am thinking this will be the way to go. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

What kind of computer is it running?

What year?

Some of the later model computers even with the 4.3 allow for 2 bar support, so it would be just like tuning a turbo LS but with 2 cylinders missing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

The ecm is the stock computer that it came with from the factory. Nothing else has been changed. The truck is a 2002 S10 ZR2 extended cab pickup with a 5 speed manual.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    What kind of computer is it running?

What year?

Some of the later model computers even with the 4.3 allow for 2 bar support, so it would be just like tuning a turbo LS but with 2 cylinders missing.

I took a look at a factory 4.3/5speed calibration and it should be more than capable of doing a procharger setup on this computer.

The 2002 computer runs a 12212156 operating system which is exactly the same as the silverado/sierra's with a 4.8/5.3/6.0 engines. It also allows for 2 bar and 3 bar tuning support for boost.

I highly suggest reading material or a class to get yourself used to this software. There are no plug and play tune files for what you want. Everything will be custom to your engine and what it needs.

Some things to consider though is how you will do the fueling and what other parts you will use along with the procharger. I think those trucks still use spider injection but I'm not for certain on that. You'll maybe need a fuel pump upgrade for the adder fuel required and also a MAP sensor that can read positive pressure.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I think the problem you'll run into is injector sizing, the injectors in s10 are not typical...

This coming from guy that had a supercharged 98 s10...before hptuners was even a twinkle in anyones eye.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I have installed an inline auxiliary fuel pump (factory pump is still there as well), and the manual/vacuum operated fuel management unit that came with this kit. I got this kit from a company called MACH PERFORMANCE a lot of years ago and am just now getting it running. As far as the instructions go that came with it, the MAF and the MAP weren’t required to be changed but time will tell I guess. The final step after you get it running was to send them the ecm to be ‘reflashed’ to deal with the added air. Since this company no longer exists, I am stuck with trying to do this on my own, which I think may be possible with hptuners.
    Also installed are a fuel pressure gauge, boost gauge, and a wide band air/ fuel ratio gauge.
    Last edited by Oilgrizzly29; 03-04-2019 at 10:39 AM.

You are right about the injectors- it still has the goofy cpi port injection spider set up. A vacuum/ manual adjusted fuel management unit is installed to raise fuel pressure.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oilgrizzly29 View Post
    You are right about the injectors- it still has the goofy cpi port injection spider set up. A vacuum/ manual adjusted fuel management unit is installed to raise fuel pressure.
    yeah I had a mach performance FMU on my truck as well, good luck getting enough fuel out of that stock injector setup. Ultimately I never found a straight forward workaround and eventually lost interest and scrapped the project.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Having never dealt with a 4.3 yet, I'm not sure how far the MAF will let you go airflow wise. I'm sure it's fine for several pounds of boost. Most procharger kits seem to be like 6-8psi max.

I do suggest a 2 bar MAP sensor though, so you can log boost pressure and calibrate the fueling for boost using both the MAF and Primary VE table.

Yea, this set up for up to about 10psi as they advertised it. Where can I get a 2 bar MAP sensor?

Potential Tuner
    i have a 4.3 v6 , you cant do anything ! until you change your intake , stock fmu no good!!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    yeah I had a mach performance FMU on my truck as well, good luck getting enough fuel out of that stock injector setup. Ultimately I never found a straight forward workaround and eventually lost interest and scrapped the project.
    I installed the marine MPFI intake manifold and MotoTron 60# fuel injectors.

Does the 0411 PCM upgrade allow for a 2 bar MAP sensor? I could use that. (And perhaps 3 bar next...)

Potential Tuner
    it depends on you tune? i use a 3bar On my 4.3 MerC
    intake 32#