Thread: MPVI2 and inverters

Potential Tuner

MPVI2 and inverters

Does HPTuners now support laptops being powered via inverters while connected to the MPVI2 interface or will it kill the interface like the MPVI1's?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by bahn View Post
    Does HPTuners now support laptops being powered via inverters while connected to the MPVI2 interface or will it kill the interface like the MPVI1's?
    its a misconception that they would kill MPVI1's I used one dozens of times with my MPVI1 without issue, however we also can't be responsible for power surges through your pc that we have no control over caused by an inverter nor do we specifically test any or all power inverters to check compatibility. If you are afraid of frying your interface you should probably consider not using one and getting a reliable laptop with a good battery so as to avoid having to use one.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I use an inverter with my MPVI all the time, never had an issue.
    2013 Mustang GT - Twin Turbo
    2016 Mustang GT
    2011 Suburban Z71 - Tow Machine

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldn't use a modified sine wave invert (which most inverters are, at least the inexpensive ones). Most modified sine wave inverters I have played with are just square, bi-polar pluses.
    https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig4_285042969

That may have been the case 15 years ago, when laptops used linear power adapters, but modern switching power supplies are the norm today. The high frequency transformers in them help to smooth modified sine waves before the conversion to DC.

I use a Bestek 300w modified sine wave with all my laptops and never had an issue. It is also the highest average rating for an inverter on Amazon.
    2016 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    its a misconception that they would kill MPVI1's I used one dozens of times with my MPVI1 without issue, however we also can't be responsible for power surges through your pc that we have no control over caused by an inverter nor do we specifically test any or all power inverters to check compatibility. If you are afraid of frying your interface you should probably consider not using one and getting a reliable laptop with a good battery so as to avoid having to use one.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...power-inverter!

Despite Bill's ancient post and subsequent memory loss, modern inverters are just fine to use. See post #5 in this thread.
    2016 Mustang GT

Potential Tuner
    It has many years since laptops been using linear power adapters, nowadays most of the newer laptops barely have any
    type of adapters within them except maybe purchasing additional wired ones. My work laptop has an antenna installed within
    since working at a small radio station here in Ohio. I have replaced it lately with the help of https://www.palmgear.com/best-rv-tv-antenna-reviews/
    and the signal its better than ever, I could never been happier. Anyone looking to get a fpsi signal or to access their
    favorite tv channels I would personally recommend it.
    Last edited by Graham1989; 11-22-2020 at 11:32 PM.