Thread: 2003 1500 5.3 cam tuning

2003 1500 5.3 cam tuning

I just finished my BTR stage 2 truck cam install on my 5.3. I haven't tuned a cam truck before but want to learn. Do I just need to raise idle airflow? Can I log something telling me what percent off my airflow is like I do STFT for fueling? Tips to make it chop ect? Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    You can log idle airflow trims. You are likely to also need to raise idle rpm some as well. Your engine's VE has been changed so you need to review what happens with fueling in transient conditions.

on a stage 2 you shouldn't have too hard of a time getting it dialed in. depending on the cam lift and duration you want to bump up idle timing until you reach peak map pressure my cam cars I have idling around 750-850 depending. also add about a gram or 2 under start up airflow and you should have a decently idling and starting truck. next you will want to dial in the ve table and once the fuel trims are pretty spot on you can chase spark to make it chop hard. usually set the idle underspeed to 14 all across and over speed to -14 you will have to play with the numbers a bit to your liking and will also have to work on coast down so the car doesn't want to die at a light. that always takes some time. there's a few guides on here about tuning idle. I recommend you read up on them as they go way more in depth and step by step to what I summarized.
    2017 mustang gt

Tuner in Training
    You'll probably also want to scale back or even 0 out the throttle cracker table.

Thanks!

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    bump your injector normal table to 6.1 where the stock values are 5.5 then multiply the remaining lower values by 10%. should help with some of the fueling around idle and some mid range gain. you can fine tune this later on a dyno over a few pulls by monitoring mid range performance.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman