Thread: Unlocking locked ECM (E40)

Tuner in Training

Unlocking locked ECM (E40)

I was given a tuner locked E40 ecm and tcm. I was also given the key for it though, so I can read it out with HPtuners, but of course I can't view the tune since it says it was locked by another interface. Is there anything I can do with my HPtuners interface to get it back to an unlocked tune, or would I need to use some other tuning setup to do that? I haven't licensed it yet, so I don't know if that makes it possible to write over it (since I can't view the tune anyway). I was able to convince my tech II and GM SPS to flash over it by unlocking it with a second scan tool first, but it does not change the seed/key so it remains locked and HPtuners will not open it. Any ideas or should I junk it or pay someone with EFIlive to unlock it?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I would suggest installing an ecm that isn't tunerlocked.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    I would suggest installing an ecm that isn't tunerlocked.
    So you're saying that your software will not leave it in an unlocked state even if i try a write entire over it with an unlocked tune after licensing it and the ecm both? I don't actually need the ECM right now, i'm just seeing what's possible in case I ever do.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    What I'm saying is if the ecm is tunerlocked and you want to tune the vehicle you will need to replace the tunerlocked ecm with one that ISNT TUNERLOCKED.

Tuner in Training
    Well that's not entirely true because it is possible to get it unlocked, but I'll take that as saying HPtuners won't do it whatever I try. Thanks!

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesr View Post
    Well that's not entirely true because it is possible to get it unlocked, but I'll take that as saying HPtuners won't do it whatever I try. Thanks!
    Correct, tunerlocked ecm's aren't meant to be unlocked by anyone other than the original tuner. Talk to the person who locked it and have them unlock it if thats what they want to do.

He states he was given the key, so, he could flash over it with another file.

The tricky thing about E40's is if you try to flash a file that's not compatible with your hardware, you might brick the ECU.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Even if you have the key doing a write entire with a stock (unlocked) tune will not remove the tunerlock.
    The ECU was tunerlocked using Efilive so the only way is to send it to someone with efilive to return it to a factory seed/key combination.
    HPTuners can't do it.

Worst case, you find a file compatible with your ECU, write entire (will use from 4 to 6 credits), after that edit the file and use the same key everytime you want to flash that file to the ECU again (the tunerlock will remain). The File that you read from the ECU can't be opened in HPT.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Tuner in Training
    I think I can help you unlock. Send me an e-mail

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by @kounkustoncars View Post
    I think I can help you unlock. Send me an e-mail
    Thanks, but It's been 4 years. I got it figured out and have unlocked quite a few since then!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, but It's been 4 years. I got it figured out and have unlocked quite a few since then!
    Could use your help if possible. Can you email me or message me on here. [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    Could you message me with how to do this,please.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 99SS#20 View Post
    Could you message me with how to do this,please.

https://www.customecm.com/tune-file-...tunerlock-info

I can personally vouch for James and his service. Fast, he answers email quickly, and just an all around good guy. I have his unlock tool and a few others that work great as well as having him unlock a tunerlocked PCM.