Thread: please help with tune

Tuner in Training

please help with tune

hey guys

ive been in the forums reading for a bit now trying to learn a little and have found a lot of things working for people and im not having lots of luck
    with my truck. i installed a cam in a 5.3l gen 4. the cam is 218/227 ive got the truck to start and idle it will even restart cold or hot, but fuel trim sux
    long or short and it just is lacking power im lucky to make 35k rpm
    i also have new cam = Maf sensor but both dtc show up and have {perminate} behind them

i sure miss the days when you just turn the distributor! LOL!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by georgelttrll; 03-08-2019 at 03:44 PM.

The MAF is set to fail, so those DTC's are normal. Revert back to stock settings and those MAF codes will go away.

You need to purchase a wideband o2 sensor so you can correct the VVE and MAF curve to get fueling under control.

Are you trying to run E85?

I see that your alcohol % is up around 65%. Just note that the virtual sensor uses the fuel trims to figure out the correct stoich, it's not very accurate and most will suggest you wire in a real sensor if you want to run E85 all the time.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The MAF is set to fail, so those DTC's are normal. Revert back to stock settings and those MAF codes will go away.

You need to purchase a wideband o2 sensor so you can correct the VVE and MAF curve to get fueling under control.

Are you trying to run E85?

I see that your alcohol % is up around 65%. Just note that the virtual sensor uses the fuel trims to figure out the correct stoich, it's not very accurate and most will suggest you wire in a real sensor if you want to run E85 all the time.
    i have a wideband connected but not to the tuner cuz i dont have the cable to do so, it reads between 14.6 and 15.3 the way it sets now. no not e85 but only 93 octane... so im not sure if the sensor is even acturate.. im looking at trims and have got them within 10% but grabed a stiff drink so driving for the night is over

Tuner in Training
    so what about the lack of power? is this normal at first until u get things under control as far as the fuel trims or maybe the multiplier could be wrong?

Disable your flex fuel, this is causing you major issues.

The computer thinks you are running 65% alcohol content.

Set the whole stoich table to 14.68 and set the flex fuel to disable.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    im not exactly sure how to diable the flex part of it, im still learning how all this works could u be so kind as to help

fuel>>General>>stoich afr...... correct?
    Last edited by georgelttrll; 03-08-2019 at 07:09 PM.

Tuner in Training
    and would that be 14.67822

Find the flex fuel tab under fuel, and set the virtual sensor to disable.

You need to be in advanced view under the edit tab to see all tables.

Also if you are VVE tuning, you need to make the corrections to all 4 tables. The regular open/closed and the DoD, so that way nothing is off.

Yes, the computer will just change 14.68 to 14.67xxxxxx.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 03-08-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Tuner in Training
    alright sweet ill do that now thanx

Tuner in Training
    found it and disabled that, so tomorrow i will flash this to the truck and make another log thank u so much...

ill most likly post again tomorrow around noon, if ur available any time could u take a look?

Having the computer think it needs to request 11.0 air fuel because of the incorrect vitual sensor will cause poor driving and extreme fuel trim changes.

If you did corrections previously with it like that, you'll have to go back over them. I don't use fuel trim graphs to tune much, only a wideband error. So getting the wideband into your logs in some way will make this far easier.

Tuner in Training
    k i have enabled maf,disabled flex n set afr to 14.68 idled for a minute.
    one thing i noticed after doing this, i think the o2 is now dead in b1+b2 is that right or is that due to it being sooo lean
    Last edited by georgelttrll; 03-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Tuner in Training
    so the last one looking better but is short and just idling in gear

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelttrll View Post
    so the last one looking better but is short and just idling in gear
    so i just ordered the link between my tuner and wideband so hopefully it will help a lot

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelttrll View Post
    so i just ordered the link between my tuner and wideband so hopefully it will help a lot
    so got the cable but don't have funds for the pro feature set just yet, but i did get the fuel and maf under control at idle and idle in gear.
    i have to wait for the storms to pass but i will take a short drive to see how much i still need to do.