Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warning for using a 2017+ unlocked T87A from HP Tuners instead of using the stock one

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GPGTP View Post
    great, just got my new one in the mail and i'm just now reading this. I'll let you know what I find.

just did the swap. Got a P0700 and engine light. haven't tried it to see if it shifts or not.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GPGTP View Post
    just did the swap. Got a P0700 and engine light. haven't tried it to see if it shifts or not.
    yep the P27A7 was the reason for the code. deleted it and its all good.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17a View Post
    I bought a "unlocked" T87A from HP tuners since I needed my car and couldn't ship my stock one out and not be able to drive my car. I ended up throwing a code for P27A7, which is the TCM is "Transmission Control Solenoid Valve 1 Calibration Incorrect". Now I'm not sure why it only trips the code for the #1 solenoid and not all of them, but the point is it looks like HP tuners does not flash the individual solenoid calibration data when they unlock a new TCM for you and program it to your VIN #.

Now the mystery about this is the service manual says the code is for "Incorrect" calibration and not "Missing". I have no idea how the TCM would ever figure out with confidence that your calibration data was "incorrect". As far as I know the 8L90 only has speed and pressure sensors as feedback, so it would have to have some preset table and logic that it could see with enough precision that the commanded current it was sending to the solenoids was not getting the correct pressure. There could be a million other reasons this could be true, not that someone forgot or flashed the wrong solenoid calibrations.

I think HP tuners does not calibrate this data for you when they program the VIN#, I just could not get a straight answer from support and it looks like they can't actually calibrate the solenoids.

Also if anyone would like a unlocked T87A let me know, seems like my only option now would be to pay to send my stock original TCM in to get unlocked and then pay to relicense it. Or either deal with a constant, pending check engine light, you cannot clear it. However, I did just find in the latest beta that P27A7 you can set to "No MIL Light" so im going to see if that at least turns off the check engine light.

Potential Tuner
    I have the sane issue the light is irritating as hell. It has no effect on the car though. did you figure it out or send your old one back in

Potential Tuner
    damn how were you able to delete it mine and a few others guys wont.

Tuner in Training
    New TCM from HP Tuners .... Same problems. Has anyone had success fixing this? Sent a ticket to Support, doubt they will have an answer. If anyone is using these in a swap, how have you fitted a brake pedal signal to a e92 pcm for the fast learn process?

following steps before installing your new TCM:
    Step 1: Download and install the latest VCM Suite 4.5 Beta available at www.hptuners.com/downloads Step 2: Perform the ?Replace TCM? special function in VCM Scanner
    1) Connect VCM Scanner to the vehicle with the stock TCM installed
    a. Go to ?Vehicle Controls & Special Functions?
    b. Click ?Replace TCM? to start the function (located under System -> General)
    c. Follow the prompts to complete the Replace TCM process for the stock TCM
    2) When prompted, replace the stock TCM with the HP Tuners unlocked one
    3) Connect VCM Scanner to the vehicle with the unlocked TCM installed
    a. Go to ?Vehicle Controls & Special Functions?
    b. Click ?Replace TCM? to start the function (located under System -> General)
    c. Follow the prompts to complete the Replace TCM process for the unlocked

Need to update to 4.xx
    Last edited by TexasGMC08; 11-26-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaTuning View Post
    If anyone is using these in a swap, how have you fitted a brake pedal signal to a e92 pcm for the fast learn process?
    I did the Motech Gen V L83/8L90 swap on an 09 Jeep Wrangler. Mitch (formerly at Motech) discovered the 2016 E92 operating system would not work on these swaps and exchanged my E92 with a 2015 Yukon L86. I'm not certain but I suspect that is when my solenoid calibrations became permanent DTC's in the T87. After a lot of research I felt like doing a trans "fast learn" might rectify the solenoid calibration DTC's. Unfortunately Motech does not use the GM brake switch so I used the E92 pinout diagram (https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-pin-outs.html) to wire up an OEM brake switch, followed the fast learn procedure, and was not successful at satisfying the calibrations.

Any resolution on why these codes were popping up?

The way I do this is I must have the customers transmission ID tag code. Once I have that I can upload the GM calibration data to the new TCM. Easy to do.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by vannatta20 View Post
    The way I do this is I must have the customers transmission ID tag code. Once I have that I can upload the GM calibration data to the new TCM. Easy to do.
    Could all of my solenoid calibrations in the TCM have been lost when my 2016 E92 ECM was swapped with the 2015 E92 with a different VIN? Do you use Hptuners to upload or TIS2Web SPS application?
    Last edited by Wnbirdman; 02-18-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I just saw these replies, I am thinking about trying the procedure again, and I just saw JnJ's method of removing the modules folder and retrying to procedure so I want to try that as well. I am wondering though if maybe an internet connection is required when you do this? Maybe it has to connect to HP Tuners servers which connect to TIS Web and download your VIN specific solenoid data when you hit the replace TCM function? I know it doesn't mention this in the instructions PDF so that's why I didn't have a internet connection when I originally did it.

I am getting extremely aggravated by the crappy 8L90 shifts and I figure I should at least try to fix this problem and hopefully get the right solenoid data in my TCM. Problem is removing the front fascia to even get to the TCM is a PITA in itself and every time you take it apart you risk breaking it and breaking more clips and wearing out the alignment holes and screwing up the panel gaps.

I wonder if it would do anything to connect to the internet and hit the replace TCM with my already modified T87A in there? I guess it couldn't hurt so I may try it before I have to take the front off.

I tried with HP Tuners support but they never would help, they just said they "recommended" I go to a dealer and have them reflash my TCM back to stock.

I?ve been looking at this problem also recently. HPT support insists the problem lies in the procedure and the calibration data is copied during that procedure. This is why moving the modules file could help. I repeated the procedure by reinstalling my stock tcm by just plugging it in, then doing the procedure again and my codes are gone...
    I did make sure I had internet. Also, you always want to copy from the stock tcm to the unlocked tcm and not the other way around.

Thank you for contacting support. Does the serv# on the unlocked TCM match the Serv# on the original TCM? I would try disconnecting both batteries on the vehicle for 10/15 minutes then flashing the stock file back to the vehicle. If you have the DTCs reporting please send a new Infolog and Debug.dat file:
    1) VCM Suite Infolog while connected to the vehicle as shown here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...acting-support
    2) Debug file from your PC. You will find this file in ...Documents/ HP Tuners/ Settings
    Once we receive the requested information we will look over it and take appropriate action. VCM SUITE INFOLOGS contain important information that our staff can use to help further assist you with your issue. Debug.dat file contains information about the reading/flashing process that our staff can use to determine what happened during the flash/read process.

Christopher Martinez
    HP Tuners LLC
    www.hptuners.com