Thread: 6R80 Upshift Pressure adjustments.

Potential Tuner

6R80 Upshift Pressure adjustments.

2014 Mustang Strategy, I am looking at doing adjustments to tighten up my 1,2,3 shifts. I can log gear, sol A,B,C,D etc. and can see what solenoid is being commanded on and off with each shift but the table to adjust is not clear to me which setting is for what element. I assume 1-2 might mean 1 to 2 shift but what does the N, M and A mean?

shift tables.jpg

Tuner in Training
    I believe n is neutral, I once though A stood for automatic and M was manual mode but that doesn't make sense as there would be almost no adjustment for most shifts in automatic. I now thing 1A-2M is a 1-2 shift under 3mph and 1m-2m is above 3. This is based on a thread where Murfie posted a lot about the operation of the 6r80. The way I firmed up my shifts was to up the oncoming and off going pressure. I did up the oncoming more but I'm not sure what is optimal. You also will need to reduce your adaptive slip times as well otherwise over time the TCM will reduce pressure to show them down.

Potential Tuner
    That helps

Quote Originally Posted by CKrueg View Post
    I believe n is neutral, I once though A stood for automatic and M was manual mode but that doesn't make sense as there would be almost no adjustment for most shifts in automatic. I now thing 1A-2M is a 1-2 shift under 3mph and 1m-2m is above 3. This is based on a thread where Murfie posted a lot about the operation of the 6r80. The way I firmed up my shifts was to up the oncoming and off going pressure. I did up the oncoming more but I'm not sure what is optimal. You also will need to reduce your adaptive slip times as well otherwise over time the TCM will reduce pressure to show them down.
    Exactly, as there is a D clutch working together with a sprag under 3mph.

Senior Tuner
    Just to add a small bit to this, D clutch can also work the over drive clutch pack. E solenoid is an On/Off not a VFS like the others. It basically determines if D is working the Low/reverse clutch pack or the over drive clutch pack in 4,5, and 6. Incase you are wondering where to look when tuning the 3-4 or other high speed shifts.
    "We can never be right, we can only be sure that we are wrong"- feynman