Thread: Ford Raptor Tuning -- Air Load stuck at 2.0, TIP stuck at 65", can't find cap

Ford Raptor Tuning -- Air Load stuck at 2.0, TIP stuck at 65", can't find cap

Title sort of sums it up. Working on a Raptor and I've changed everything I can find to get the air load up over 2.05 (want to target ~2.3) and something is still limiting airload or maybe limiting TIP. Grabbed a log with any relevant parameter I could find and would appreciate any feedback.

I noticed "tip desired max for outlet temperature" is around 65 in the log, which is around where I'm stuck. But can't find any table to try raising that in.

test 10_2 34g.hplraptor_E40.hpt
    Last edited by Terry Burger; 03-11-2019 at 10:17 AM.

are you trying to see how hot you can get the IAT or some other goal? ;-)

hopefully I can look at your tune this evening.

lol looking for around a 21psi peak boost target on this one. Stuck at 18psi right now.

1: Do you have a "throttle source" that can be logged?

2: I think your missing a mapped point in your log (when your throttle closes the first time)

Also, spark by cylinder PIDs will not report unless you have:

[ECM] 2023 - Knock Mode Global/Per Cylinder: Selects if the knock system is using global or per cylinder knock control methods.

Set to Per cylinder
    Last edited by LastPlace; 03-11-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Take a look at: [TCM] 40070 - Trans Torque Truncation vs. Gear: This is the maximum torque allowed into the transmission before limiting occurs.

Might be your first throttle closure

On the spark by cylinder it's strange, it's set to global in the stock flash we read off the truck. But in the log you can see different ignition values in different cylinders as you scroll along a run. At the moment I'm trying to get boost up and already have timing up so don't want to take too much risk on deviations of the factory knock system yet. But I definitely will when boost is sorted.

On the throttle I'm less concerned with that as I'm also working on WGDC, but even in areas where throttle is 100% it's still picking up a load or TIP cap. 65" works out to around 18psi manifold which is where boost is capped.

Sounds good, Add the pids to the log and make the above recommendations and post another log

PS use your lspi tables to shape your boost curve
    Last edited by LastPlace; 09-13-2019 at 08:32 PM.

The problem I think is a TIP cap. I made some adjustments to the "Turbocharger Outlet Compressor Temperature Limits" and it seems to have let me break past the 65tip. Still a work in progress though. Might be the missing piece we were looking for.

Probably not lot of Raptors trying to push over 20psi here.

Still fighting this issue but I found rescaling this table helped push the cap a little higher.

Anyone with a Raptor cleanly targeting more than 20psi?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training

Tuner in Training
    on the dyno it seems 18.5-19 psi seems to be the sweet spot, once i got into 20psi range i couldnt run near as much timing and actually lost power. My new hub dyno will be finished in a few weeks and i will test again to be sure as i didnt have near as much time with it on dyno as i need to find out what she liked and didnt. just throwing it out there that more boost might not equate to more power. basically i was running about 20.5 psi but could only run a few degrees of timing, lowered it to about 18.5 and was about to run almost double and made more power with lower IATS. just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    Take a look at: [TCM] 40070 - Trans Torque Truncation vs. Gear: This is the maximum torque allowed into the transmission before limiting occurs.

Might be your first throttle closure
    Throttle closer is normal, you don't want it wide open all the time, you want it to oscillate. The throttle is ment to be the fine regulation of the airflow on the EcoBoost. "Fixing it" to have it pin wide open all the time is going to cause inconsistencies in the airload actual vs desired which is no good.

Quote Originally Posted by Magyar86 View Post
    on the dyno it seems 18.5-19 psi seems to be the sweet spot, once i got into 20psi range i couldnt run near as much timing and actually lost power. My new hub dyno will be finished in a few weeks and i will test again to be sure as i didnt have near as much time with it on dyno as i need to find out what she liked and didnt. just throwing it out there that more boost might not equate to more power. basically i was running about 20.5 psi but could only run a few degrees of timing, lowered it to about 18.5 and was about to run almost double and made more power with lower IATS. just something to keep in mind.
    Agreed on the raptor much more that 19 psi at 6000 rpm is too much. If you look at the turbo speed, anything over 220,000 rpm is going to start to cause issue. 220,000 rpm is the design limit of the turbos. I run my tunes a bit past that, but only on e85.

@Terry you don't need to rescale anything to get the airload over 2.05 you are missing something.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by zfgracing View Post
    Agreed on the raptor much more that 19 psi at 6000 rpm is too much. If you look at the turbo speed, anything over 220,000 rpm is going to start to cause issue. 220,000 rpm is the design limit of the turbos. I run my tunes a bit past that, but only on e85.
    do you mind sharing or helping me design a e85/flex tune for this vehicle.. im still pretty new and i think i have a idea on how to input everything just nervous to damage anything its personal shop vehicle lol
    Last edited by timskmperf; 05-07-2019 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by timskmperf View Post
    do you mind sharing or helping me design a e85/flex tune for this vehicle.. im still pretty new and i think i have a idea on how to input everything just nervous to damage anything its personal shop vehicle lol
    send me an email [email protected]