Thread: PE delay but EQ commanding PE value

Potential Tuner

PE delay but EQ commanding PE value

This is my first post and I would like to start by tanking everyone for all the help. I have been lurking for nearly 2 months and I truly appreciate all the great information in this forum. I have learned a lot and still have a ways to go.

I have a 07 c6 which I've added a CAI, long tubes and a WB02. I've tuned my VVE below 4000 rpm as well as the MAF. Next, I wanted to scan a couple passes with PE enabled so I reverted back to my SD tune with the addition of the following PE values. Mind you, my SD.hpt for VVE tuning follows all of the standard practices.

PE Enable
    MAP 65
    MAP Hyst 6
    Enable RPM 300
    RPM Hyst 30

Throttle Hot
    0 - 4500 - 30%
    5000-8000 5%

Delay
    RPM - 0

PE Enrichment - 1.165 across the board

Enrichment Ramp In - 1

What I'm seeing is my Commanded EQ switch to my set PE value (.86) but it stays in closed loop for approx. 4 seconds until PE finally kicks in. Also, you will notice that the STFT start fighting the commanded EQ with a 15+% trim until closed loop is exited. At 4200 RPM I finally enter PE (according to the Power Enrichment Channel) and you can see that my WB starts moving back towards lambda and the Injector Duty cycle increases to deliver the commanded EQ. I'm unsure why I'm recording a 4 second delay and why EQ changed but it stays in CL?

BTW - The KR is just Burst Knock.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is your torque requirement for PE met? Set required torque value to 0 for PE so there is not a delay

Potential Tuner
    I believe that I have discovered the issue.

After CL SD tuning with my narrow band O2's I wanted to polish off the VVE table using my WB AFR Err. To accomplish this I attempted to force OL by setting 12461 - Closed Loop Enable ECT vs. Startup ECT to 305 degrees across all RPMs and 2502 - Min ECT for LTFT to 492 degrees. After applying these setting I discovered in my scanner that STFT were still enabled and I also observed the weird PE behavior.

After spending a couple days searching the forums I found this post.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...orce-open-loop

Fortunately, Chris@hptuners chimed in and stated the correct method to disable CL on the E38's is to set 12463 - O2 Readiness ECT to 492 across all temps. He then went on to explain that there are two stages of closed loop and that by setting the ECT vs. Startup ECT I entered a "pseudo closed loop state". This is what I'm contributing to the weird behavior I was experiencing.

After setting ECT vs. Startup ECT back to stock, and altering the O2 Readiness ECT, I was then able to avoid both LT and ST fuel trims and PE engaged as I would expect.

Thanks for the update!