Thread: VSS, is it nessessary for a stand-alone system?

VSS, is it nessessary for a stand-alone system?

Building a Gen 3 for a rock crawler and I have been told that "The ECU needs to know the vehicle is moving, so keep the VSS signal to the ECU."
    You folks seem extremely knowledgeable on here and I would trust you guys more than where I heard this.
    Of course, my crawler does not have a speed-o in it, no need. I'm in the middle of building the harness and before I finish, I would like to know weather to keep the VSS in the harness.
    While I have your ear, the motor is going in front of a Turbo 400 trans, does it need to know weather it's in gear or not? I'm leaning toward if it needs the VSS, it needs to know if it's "in gear"....just my simple logic though....would love to hear your experiences and thoughts.

The VSS would be helpful but it's not a must.

I did a 5.3/TH350 swap in my friends rock crawler and it works just fine without a VSS.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Okay. thanks for the reply. What did you do for P/N signal to the ECU?

I don't remember exactly but it has no issues running. I don't even remember if it says if it's in park or gear when we are running it. Mainly just disabled all the normal things like VATS and abuse modes, disabled all the transmission related DTC's and it runs like it should. Goes in and out of power enrichment like normal and all that.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Thanks so much for the information. Maybe someone else has more insight. Did you stick with MAF?

Yeah, stock MAF and MAP sensor.

Only thing that was changed was the truck intake was too tall so it was swapped with a LS1 intake and he did shorty headers because of the flange location of the collector. It's a custom built tube chassis he did in his garage so the bay was made really tight.