Thread: Built NAG-1/A580 harsh shifting at low loads

Tuner in Training

Built NAG-1/A580 harsh shifting at low loads

Hi guys,

I've done my fair share of stock 5 and 8 speeds but this is my first built A580. It's an Extreme Automatics transmission with a 3000rpm stall.

I've flashed this thing probably 20+ times and no matter what I've done, I can't seem to get the shifts to be polite at lower loads. I spoke with Lonnie, at Extreme Automatics, who was awesome to talk to! Very nice guy, but he's not a tuner so he wasn't able to give me much insight.

At even 15-20% throttle the shifts are almost uncomfortable and the owner of the truck is requesting it to drive nicer which I understand. Has anyone had good luck with this issue?

All i need is to be pointed in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!

Potential Tuner
    Does it have blue top solenoids?

Post the tune file.
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Potential Tuner
    My guess is blue top solenoids vs brown tops. If it's got blue tops, you'll never be able to make a software change bc it'll be a hardware issue. Those things are beastly.

Senior Tuner
    Best thing to do is leave the converter unlocked in 1 and 2, lock in 3rd. Thatll make all low speed driving dreamy. I don't recommend it for anything over 700whp though, as i have seen the converter struggle to lock up in 3rd gear during a wot pull.

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    Im having the same problem with a friends SRT8 Jeep with a SHR full billy badass trans with the blue tops. From what I have read they have a different orifice, winding and return spring. Since WOT is fine (which means the solenoids are deactivated giving full shift/ine pressure) Could it be as simple as going into the Commanded PCS current and increase the values for lower line pressure?
    Me love boost long time.

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    Well I just confirmed my hypothesis. If you run blue top solenoids along with a built, high line pressure trans you need to modify the Commanded PCS Current table in the lower pressure regions by 15-20% and slope it off.
    WOT is still hard as fock (PCS=0) and part throttle shifts and downshifts are nice and smooth.

PCS table.png
    Last edited by Baldturbofreak.com; 07-03-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    Me love boost long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldturbofreak.com View Post
    Well I just confirmed my hypothesis. If you run blue top solenoids along with a built, high line pressure trans you need to modify the Commanded PCS Current table in the lower pressure regions by 15-20% and slope it off.
    WOT is still hard as fock (PCS=0) and part throttle shifts and downshifts are nice and smooth.

PCS table.png
    sorry for waking up a long time talk lool >

so is adding up values to pcs will increase the shifting firmness between gears at wot ?
    thanks

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by GeForce1986 View Post
    sorry for waking up a long time talk lool >

so is adding up values to pcs will increase the shifting firmness between gears at wot ?
    thanks
    No, stock transmission tunes already command full pressure on the shifts. You can only modify areas where it doesnt command full pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by 06300CSRT8 View Post
    No, stock transmission tunes already command full pressure on the shifts. You can only modify areas where it doesnt command full pressure.
    ok so is rising this numbers will make the gear less harsher or decreasing them will ?
    my car is not daily ride so i would like it more aggressive

Advanced Tuner
    hello,trying to raise my line pressure to help with firmer shifts. so bringing the numbers down or up will increase line pressure?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Banned
    An increase in line pressure in the tune file corresponds with a resulting increase in line pressure. Much more involved in getting firmer shifts than line pressure, there is gains and duty cycles that play a large role as well. I?m not familiar at all with the NAG1 but the RFE has adjustable line pressures, gains, shift duty cycles and more that all play key roles into shift firmness.
    Last edited by Jim P; 07-26-2021 at 01:06 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    so increasing or decreasing the numbers increases line pressures?
    By the prickle of my thumb something wicked this way comes!2008 Chrysler 300c! 2013 heads/220/230 comp cam/LTheaders/FTI 2600 stall converter.

Banned
    Increase equals increase, decrease equals decrease

Tuner in Training
    not here its quite the opposite actually, in that table you are not directly adjusting the pressure figures, you are adjusting the current going to the solenoids (mA or A) and that changes the pressure. so by increasing the amps (numbers) you decrease the pressure and decreasing the number increases the pressure good luck

Advanced Tuner
    heres a link to a school that teach how to rebuild and how the electrical, hydraulic, works. its a great start on building,diag and helps with tuning. https://youtu.be/ODemEtaZGnw?si=lqHTbXl27jNMWPuU

Tuner in Training
    i know the video i actually used it along side this video https://youtu.be/9UIB2UjJrKo?si=6JkzJcXy6ifwpXrh to rebuild my own transmission, both are great and explains the entire thing in a clear and professional manner i recommend it for anyone interested in the NAG1 Transmissions or any other transmissions.