Thread: Built NAG-1/A580 harsh shifting at low loads

Tuner in Training

Built NAG-1/A580 harsh shifting at low loads

Hi guys,

I've done my fair share of stock 5 and 8 speeds but this is my first built A580. It's an Extreme Automatics transmission with a 3000rpm stall.

I've flashed this thing probably 20+ times and no matter what I've done, I can't seem to get the shifts to be polite at lower loads. I spoke with Lonnie, at Extreme Automatics, who was awesome to talk to! Very nice guy, but he's not a tuner so he wasn't able to give me much insight.

At even 15-20% throttle the shifts are almost uncomfortable and the owner of the truck is requesting it to drive nicer which I understand. Has anyone had good luck with this issue?

All i need is to be pointed in the right direction!

Thanks in advance!

Potential Tuner
    Does it have blue top solenoids?

Post the tune file.
    2013 Chrysler 300S, 6.4 BGE with 6.4 SRT cam, AIT 18% OD pulley, E-force with 2.75 pulley, fastman 84+4 mm throttle body, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Trans built by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73, Walbro 400LPH, DW 65# inj. LG aluminum rad. Dual SRT fans. 4 piston Brembo upgrade. Mopar Stage one springs.

Potential Tuner
    My guess is blue top solenoids vs brown tops. If it's got blue tops, you'll never be able to make a software change bc it'll be a hardware issue. Those things are beastly.

Senior Tuner
    Best thing to do is leave the converter unlocked in 1 and 2, lock in 3rd. Thatll make all low speed driving dreamy. I don't recommend it for anything over 700whp though, as i have seen the converter struggle to lock up in 3rd gear during a wot pull.

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    Im having the same problem with a friends SRT8 Jeep with a SHR full billy badass trans with the blue tops. From what I have read they have a different orifice, winding and return spring. Since WOT is fine (which means the solenoids are deactivated giving full shift/ine pressure) Could it be as simple as going into the Commanded PCS current and increase the values for lower line pressure?
    Me love boost long time.

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    Well I just confirmed my hypothesis. If you run blue top solenoids along with a built, high line pressure trans you need to modify the Commanded PCS Current table in the lower pressure regions by 15-20% and slope it off.
    WOT is still hard as fock (PCS=0) and part throttle shifts and downshifts are nice and smooth.

PCS table.png
    Last edited by Baldturbofreak.com; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:23 PM.
    Me love boost long time.