Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E78 Silverado Turbo

E78 Silverado Turbo

I need some help with setting up the tune for my '15 Silverado with a 6.0L and E78 controller.

It is currently running decent on SD with some weird quirks, but cruise control doesn't work on the E78 without the MAF enabled, and that is a total deal breaker.

Is my only option for boost enrichment with MAF to be found via PE parameters?

Anyone have an idea of how big of a pain in the rear it would be to wire in an E38 and get the BCM to work with it?

(Tried to attach my tune but the forum is kicking me back an error)

boost enrichment is only avail with PE on the e78 (I’m running e78). Best way is to find at what throttle point you start getting into boost and adjust the PE commanded pedal to that value. Make sure the desired torque for PE is at 0 or else you will not always achieve PE. I think it would be a pain swapping to a e38 and bcm, but I’m sure others with more experience will chime in.

Bummer...

Are you running a turbo?

I've got PE coming on pretty close right now so it looks like if I fab up a new cold side with a 4" tube for the MAF and enable/tune it and I should be good. It's almost pegged at 3000rpm now in the 3" tube 😵

Also, do you get any odd random KR? I get 1-3* spikes when holding a steady speed up a hill with 11*, 10.8 AFR @2000rpm and 1 or 2psi. Occasionally I get a 6-8* KR when the boost gets up around 5psi even with 10* and 10.0 AFR

I’m runnin a 78mm turbo at 16lbs with a innovate boost controller. I did get the same knock from 2-3k rpm I halved the knock retard in these areas and it has been fine since but not into boost. In boost I noticed more knock with increased fueling, I dropped fueling to 11.3:1 3K rpm and up. In boost I am running 10 degrees at 5 psi and then i have mine interpolated down to 4 degrees at 15-16 psi. I completely got rid of my MAF, And straight SD and have been happy ever since. I drive out to Adirondacks several times a year and have yet to want cruise control. Are your PE tamp in rates high (2.0)? Do you have VVt disabled in WOT (I do)? Did you remove vvt timing advance (I did)? Make sure those are not contributing to your spark advance.

I think half the reason not having cruise drove me nuts was the 369SXE turbo I had on it. It would spool up on every damn hill on the interstate and I'd be cruising along at 75mph and then bam whistle and I'm doing 90 lol. I got a comp 76/75 with a 1.15a/r for it now so that should calm it down a bunch.

PE ramp in at 1.2 right now
    Flex Fuel disabled
    VVT spark tables zero'd
    VVT is still active but dialed back with 2-5* at wot
    Around 10-14 degrees under boost
    5lb springs in the gates right now, once I get the tune satisfactory I'll bump it up to 8lbs

I just re pinned mine to a e38 because that controller is a pain to tune.
    https://youtu.be/BS1L2QMZ-Ng

Do you have a pesky BCM to deal with though?

RySM, what kind of cylinder air mass are you seeing at 16lbs?

Cyl airmass varies depending on actual engine load. Mind you I’m running a 3/4 ton crew cab on 37” toyo MT with 4:56 gears. Sometimes I hit 2.3 grams at 3400 rpm at 55mph on the freeway hitting 15-16 psi , other times I hit 2.7grams 3480 rpm at 53 mph at only 9-10.5psi.

I was just curious to see if I guessed closely when I scaled the rows on my spark table as I get ready to bump up to 8-9psi. Take a gander at my tune or post yours up if you don't mind.

My truck is a 1 ton double cab/long box with 4:10s and 32" tires

With vvt I suggest 0 all tables, I found that it really limits the ability to make boost when you have anything in them, I have the tsp cam in my truck and it fairly boost friendly as long as you zero the vvt tables, set your PE to 2.0 ramp in and a 1.0 ramp out. I found that to work very well.. In boost I have only 5 degrees maximum and it interpolated from 15 at 100kpa to only 5 degrees at maximum boost. I also found that the flex fuel pump limits out at 7 psi and stock injector duty cycle is maxed as well (120%). Throw a 450 or 525 pump with 100# injectors toss out the MAF and tune SD. Are you getting any knock?

With the smaller turbo I'm running, not being able to build boost isn't an issue, I almost have the opposite. I can get 3-4lbs at 1500rpm which also makes the PE ramp at 2.0 no bueno as it will blubber if I enter PE without boost without the current ramp I'm running.

Bummer on maxing out the fuel at 7psi, I was hoping to squeek out 8 or 9.

I'm not running the MAF right now but I'll probably put it in for cruise at some point. VVE isn't all there yet but it's enough that it works.

I did some work on my spark tables last week and I have zero knock in boost and I'll get a .1 or .2 in the 1800-2200rpm range at .40g even if I pull 3 degrees out. That's it.

Didn’t even think about the smaller turbo. You might be ok with 8-9 psi, my turbo built boost quickly I would run out of pump. Wouldn’t hurt to try it, just watch injector duty cycle and pump flow. I tried loading up my tune but my laptop is not cooperating.

What turbo are you running?

76/75, which I think you are switching to , or did? With an innovate EBC at 80% duty cycle.
    Last edited by RySmDPT14; 04-12-2019 at 05:18 AM.

I'm surprised your getting 16lbs out of that with out back pressure issues. What a/r? You running water/air intercooler?

4” Air/air intercooler. No problems getting 16 at all, only issue is traction. 3.5” exhaust dumped out after cab, It’s the on3 78/75 I picked up on sale last year.

I forgot you have a 2012. I tried to fit an A/A intercooler on, but I would have had to leave the headlights out to have anywhere for the cold pipes to go. I think the radiator is bigger '15 up.

If its an on3, it must be a .96 open a/r. I splurged and got a Comp 76/75 billet with a 1.15 divided a/r housing to match my divided hot side.

If you're getting any KR at high boost I bet you've got high backpressure - pre turbo

What manifold do you have? I want to try out the trick manifold and see if it is much better than mine I made. I didn’t do divided hot sides, it’s log style with crossover from driver side.