Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP tuners crashed in middle of writing process P01

HP tuners crashed in middle of writing process P01

Hi experts.

Short story - In a normal "Write Calibration", the VCM Editor died like at 20% and closed completely.

SPECS:
    MVPI 1
    P01 computer from a Camaro 1999
    2bar OS already write entire successful, and like 4 writes calibrations after.
    VCM Editor 4.2.1
    Windows 10 Home
    Microsoft Build Engine version 4.7.3056.0
    [Microsoft .net framework version 4.0.30319.42000]

Later on I tried restarting my pc and write calibration and it dies
    Later restarted and tried a write entire of my first normal OS (the first read of the car) and I did it without the checkbox of High Speed. It began writing and said that it will take 7 minutes. Like at 10% of writing it crashed

Right now I'm charging my battery (Still it is a 6 month old battery running strong)

Any suggestions? Shall I write entire again? the custom 2bar OS or the original? Write Entire? Use High speed?

You made the usual mistake of trying to solve a failed write calibration with a write entire. If write calibration fails repeatedly attempting a write entire has a high chance of also failing and bricking the PCM.

Now that a write entire failed the PCM may be bricked. Don't close the ignition nor disconnect battery. Hook a battery charger and retry a write entire with a different laptop (or at least update the .NET framework, that's the likely cause of the crash). If the PCM is not found then you need to replace it.

Good Luck
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Oh God, I have now the battery outside the car charging...

If, when I hook up the battery again, the computer gets recognized, what should I perform (after the previous write entire failed) a write entire or write calibration? and with which, the original OS or the 2barSD-RTT?

A write entire erases the whole flash chip, since it failed you need to complete a write entire to restore the PCM. After that use write calibration only.
    It may still be recoverable, retry with a well charged battery.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

NEWS, it is working!

After I left the battery disconnected for 1 day, I re created a new 2bar OS and did a write entire at high speed. IT WORKED.

I thought the PCM was fried because the fuel pump wasn't priming.

Thank you all
    Guatemala based, the land of the eternal spring (volcanoes, cool weather, Mayan culture, ultra bad prepped strips).
    - Corvette C3 L82 M4 SBC
    - Camaro 1999 LS1 sloppy like build (sloppy stage 2 cam, pac racing valvesprings, t56 to 4L80e, Walbro 450lph with return AEM. VSracing 78mm... )

Glad it worked out for you. I hope I can save mine! No start,Fuel pump not priming,p0601,p1518,c1276 codes. I accidentally did a write cal on a file I didn't realize was changed to 2bar os. I thought from reading (probably older posts) that you had to pay to get it. (2bar os) I was curious about what it looked like and hit the os button. (It shouldn't be on the "favorites" bar!) Saw the warning and thought not much about it because I thought it wouldn't write without more credits. By the time I had finished making changes to the file I had forgotten that I had even hit the button.
    1997 C5 - 346ci - M6 - custom CAI, ported TB, MAF (ported & descreened), 1-7/8" Lt's, 3"X-pipe, modified stock muffs, 345rwhp before headers/x-pipe

If you have a 97-98 LS1 PCM it's not recoverable, the P0601 DTC becomes permanent because of what you did. Flashing it again with the correct file will not fix it.
    The problem is inside a memory chip external to the flash and not writable with HPtuners.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    Glad it worked out for you. I hope I can save mine! No start,Fuel pump not priming,p0601,p1518,c1276 codes. I accidentally did a write cal on a file I didn't realize was changed to 2bar os. I thought from reading (probably older posts) that you had to pay to get it. (2bar os) I was curious about what it looked like and hit the os button. (It shouldn't be on the "favorites" bar!) Saw the warning and thought not much about it because I thought it wouldn't write without more credits. By the time I had finished making changes to the file I had forgotten that I had even hit the button.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

I've tried disconnecting the battery, shorting + & - terminals together with the headlights on, loading the original stock tune with a "write entire" and the tune will load but still no start. Was able to read the file and verify the os went to original. Tried a 2bar so "write entire" (no joy). Also read and verified the os change back. The pcm is still allowing me to write to it, sooooo? Any help would be appreciated. I was thinking that a tech 2 relearn with pass through might? As in os being re written. Btw I've read enough to know that "P0601" is usually the kiss of death but the success that rogergm92 just had isn't the only time I've seen recovery from this. Also I realize he didn't mention checking the codes. Hummm...
    1997 C5 - 346ci - M6 - custom CAI, ported TB, MAF (ported & descreened), 1-7/8" Lt's, 3"X-pipe, modified stock muffs, 345rwhp before headers/x-pipe

I just got off the phone with AJ- PCM Solutions (great guy) he gave a pretty in depth convo. About this. He used to offer a service "unbricking" but no longer does. I had a thought though that I've never read anyone trying of starting a write entire and as the erase is completed pulling the plug and failing it like OP's failed in the middle. .?.???

From another thread.
    image.png

Yea...I guess I know the horse is "probably" dead but for some reason I just like beating dead horses.

Btw monte thanks for the reply.

Now where did I put that 0411 and who's got a label maker I can borrow?

The problem lies in the hardware. 97-98 PCM and the 99+ 0411 are very different hardware.
    0411 can be easily unbricked, I have repaired a lot of those. I have also unbricked a few 98's but they were from a failed/interrupted flash.
    The dreaded P0601 corrupts a memory outside the flash so it doesn't matter how many write entires you do, it won't fix it. I don't know how to fix those, I have one I may look into it someday if I have time.
    For me it's better to upgrade to 0411 than messing with those old clunkers.

Btw monte thanks for the reply.

Now where did I put that 0411 and who's got a label maker I can borrow?
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Yea you're right. I am just not looking forward to repinning the harness. Do you happen to know if if something has changed with the vin issue when replacing with a 99-02 pcm? I've read a lot of forum posts that have said you need to use a vin from the year pcm your swapping to or the tables won't be right. Has HpTuners fixed this or I should say made it so you can have the newer tune files and keep your vin?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I've tried disconnecting the battery, shorting + & - terminals together with the headlights on, loading the original stock tune with a "write entire" and the tune will load but still no start. Was able to read the file and verify the os went to original. Tried a 2bar so "write entire" (no joy). Also read and verified the os change back. The pcm is still allowing me to write to it, sooooo? Any help would be appreciated. I was thinking that a tech 2 relearn with pass through might? As in os being re written. Btw I've read enough to know that "P0601" is usually the kiss of death but the success that rogergm92 just had isn't the only time I've seen recovery from this. Also I realize he didn't mention checking the codes. Hummm...
    its dead https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...tant-read-this
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Thanks Bill. Care to take a swing at my post just above yours?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Thanks Bill. Care to take a swing at my post just above yours?
    As long as you are running software version 4.2 or newer you shouldn't have any problem licensing an invalid vin/os pair.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

You only need to buy the PCM from somebody capable of flashing it with the correct OS/VIN, you can't do it using HPT.
    After that you can read and license it with version 4.0+ and all the tables and features will be there.
    If the OS flashed to the PCM is correct everything will work in the car and you can use the VIN to match the car.
    9 sec Montecarlo SS

Bill- I'm running version 4.2.12 so that's not a problem and I wasn't worried about being able to license it. I understand how with Hp tuners that when I change out my PCM (1997 corvette) and go to a 99-02 PCM that "in order to use Hptuners" will require a license for the new PCM(tuning tables are tied to the vin/year). Ex.2001 PCM with 2001 vin = license for a 2001 corvette and will cost me 2 credits.
    What I should have asked is that once I've tuned my car can I change the vin back to my vin and If I want to make changes then change the vin back to the 2001 vin (if necessary) before attempting to make any changes?

Btw this is my first day joining the forum and I've read it extensively before even buying Hptuners and I must say the forum is what got hp the dollars. The support from all that contribute here make me feel apart of something special.

Monrecarlodrag- thanks for the reply. I think I understand the way it works. I need to buy a 1999-2002 PCM already flashed to a corvette with the options I have.(?) OR is it any PCM from a 1999-2002 corvette (DBW) and I can change the options necessary in hp tuners i.e. Auto to M6? If I was to get a eBay or salvage yard PCM as long as it was from a 99-02 vette the OS should be good right? (With drive by wire)