Thread: Unable to detect vehicle diagnostic protocol. 0411 PCM with Real time Road Runner.

Potential Tuner

Unable to detect vehicle diagnostic protocol. 0411 PCM with Real time Road Runner.

Hi everyone, i`ve got a HP tuner MPVI std version diag tool, Hptuner suit installed and all drivers, no errors what so ever in the device manager.

When i try to establish connection with vehicle, i get a notice that the scanner is "Unable to detect vehicle diagnostic protocol", my PCM has a build in Real Time Road Runner from moates, i don`t know may be that can be a reason, but ELM327 and Tech II diagnostic scanners connect and recognize the protocols with no problems.

Any ideas why this may happen?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    Ow, ok, i did some research, and found that some guys got it solved securing the EBCM connector, well i dont have the EBCM connected, and basically don`t want to have it connected, since mine is only rear wheels abs (old one), and i have to repin the connectors since my wiring is from a 1998 vehicle but the abs is from 1990.

Does that mean that i will not be able to scan my PCM/VCM with the HP scanner? Is it a must to have the EBCM connected using HP tunner?
    Last edited by Aksl; 03-20-2019 at 01:34 AM.

Potential Tuner
    No one can confirm that hptuner is not capable of connecting to the PCM/VCM and detecting vehicle diagnostic protocol with EBCM disconnected from the wiring???

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I don't see any reason why it shouldn't but who knows they could've locked us out. I would suggest trying on a similar NON modified ecm to rule out a hardware issue of some sort on our end.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Right, thank you for the answer Bill, didn`t think of that, tried other vehicle, connects no problem...
    Will check it on other gm, and will try with EBCM connector plugged and unplugged.
    Last edited by Aksl; 03-21-2019 at 08:57 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksl View Post
    Right, thank you for the answer Bill, didn`t think of that, tried other vehicle, connects no problem...
    Will check it on other gm, and will try with EBCM connector plugged and unplugged.
    Hi Aksl, Any luck on this one? Is it the EBCM? I got the same error and mine is unplugged.