Thread: Flashing TCM with column shift defaults AutoStick to floor shift

Advanced Tuner

Flashing TCM with column shift defaults AutoStick to floor shift

Well I've given my information to support three weeks ago and they have no idea so I don't expect much here either.

I have a 2006 charger police car with a column shifter.

AutoStick used to work normally. Push the button on the end of the shifter and the gear position lights up in a box to the right of PRND on the cluster. Then use the + and - to shift manually.

I read and rewrote to the TCM and now when I push the button on the shifter the gear position never appears until I hit the + or -

So I bought a used TCM out of a police car, and these aren't easy to find. It worked properly until I read it and did a write. It screwed the AutoStick feature up the same.

I found another police TCM, same shit. This time I didn't change anything just read the TCM and put the unmodified read right back in it. AutoStick doesn't work right AGAIN.

Now I buy another police TCM, an EGS53 and the Autostick feature works properly I didn't touch it with hptuners. But it doesn't seem compatible, it gives a temperature sensor DTC or something. Whatever, it makes hptuners yet again useless to tune the TCM.

I suppose I could find an EGS52 out of a police car and have AutoStick work properly BUT I CAN'T USE HPTUNERS TO TUNE IT AGAIN. And I say again because I just went three weeks with support just to be able to tune the TCM at all. I couldn't tune the standard EGS52 or 53 AT ALL until the beta came out. Weird because they announced 3 1/2 years ago! that EGS52 and 53 tuning was available.

Whats interesting here https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...e!-EGS52-EGS53 is that they say NOTE: We will not support some outdated EGS53 operating systems (VCM Editor will update your TCM Operating System automatically to a newer/supported OS before tuning

The operating system will be updated AUTOMATICALLY. Let me guess...to one with a floor shifter.

If anyone outside of hptuners would like to get paid to fix three screwed up TCM's I'd like to know.

Advanced Tuner
    tcm's
    Last edited by Jason B; 03-21-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    tcm's
    Last edited by Jason B; 03-21-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Any response from support ?

Advanced Tuner
    No, Their shit fucked my tcm up and they don't have the balls to admit it.

====== Please reply above this line ======

Sorry JB,

We are trying to figure out why this issue is occurring. It hard to test something like this with out having a vehicle here at the shop. I cant give you an ETA or point you in the right direction right now.

Ticket History
    (HPT Client) Posted On: 15 March 2019 05:44 PM

Would I be correct in assuming that my TCM will never work properly again?
    I'll take a sorry we can't do anything for you, thats really ok.
    I'd rather not get strung along.

Any answer is fine. Thanks.

(HPT Staff) Posted On: 08 March 2019 07:00 PM

JB,

We are looking into the issue and will get back to you next week.

(HPT Client) Posted On: 08 March 2019 10:59 AM

No. That doesn't work either.
    Maybe you can look at ticket 157243.
    This is when I was using the non beta version and could not write the TCM more than one time. Back then I could read it and write it only once, after that i would get a 7x write error or something. Thats when I lost this feature. Then when the latest beta came out I could write the TCM.
    This is on a police only column shift car. Not an easy to find TCM but I do have three others. All but one no longer have this feature, the one I never tried to write with hptuners still works. I just can't use that TCM because it's an EGS53 and it doesn't seem compatible.

So I have two EGS53's out of 2008 police chargers. One works fine because I never used hptuners on it. One used to work fine until I wrote to it.
    J B
    Fri 3/15/2019 6:39 PM
    Would I be correct in assuming that my TCM will never work properly again? I'll take a sorry we can't do anything for you, thats really ok. I'd rather not get strung along. Any answer is fine. Thanks.

In the case of EGS52 and 53, these controllers have a feature called variant coding which is not contained in the flash. I suspect you have a mismatch of coded options between the donor TCMs and your original one. They are not actually bad.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    In the case of EGS52 and 53, these controllers have a feature called variant coding which is not contained in the flash. I suspect you have a mismatch of coded options between the donor TCMs and your original one. They are not actually bad.
    No, you can't keep blaming my stuff. I have the original and it stopped working the first time I wrote to it. Then I got another police/column shift tcm and it worked fine until I wrote to it, then a third same thing. I have one 53 left for a police/column shift and it's column shift features work properly because I haven't written to it, but it gives a mismatch dtc.

Why is it everytime I write to one the column shift feature disappears? Besides it's my fault, because it sure doesn't seem like it.
    Last edited by Jason B; 03-23-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    BTW the pile of TCM's that I've accumulated was a result of getting a write error to every single one. Like I've said four and a half years after the big announcement that they can be tuned. It wasn't til one of your engineers sent me a beta whatever to try that I was able to write to them all. But thats a fault on my end too right?

Advanced Tuner
    The HP Tuners Mission Statement
    To provide the most complete, cost effective tuning and data acquisition solutions for enthusiasts, professional workshops and dealerships. Our years of success and experience in the automotive industry gives us the competitive advantage to stay ahead of the market, innovate and adapt to future technologies first. Continuing to develop an unprecedented product offering and the necessary technical support to back it up.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B View Post
    The HP Tuners Mission Statement
    To provide the most complete, cost effective tuning and data acquisition solutions for enthusiasts, professional workshops and dealerships. Our years of success and experience in the automotive industry gives us the competitive advantage to stay ahead of the market, innovate and adapt to future technologies first. Continuing to develop an unprecedented product offering and the necessary technical support to back it up.
    False statements. What a load of shit these people are.

I'm sorry you're experiencing these issues. Please try the "EGS Init" function in the scanner and see if that solves the problem.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer@HPT View Post
    I'm sorry you're experiencing these issues. Please try the "EGS Init" function in the scanner and see if that solves the problem.
    Already tried it as suggested by the support person who gave up. Ticket ID: 164360

Advanced Tuner
    Ticket ID: 164360 opened Feb 26, 2019

Potential Tuner
    Did you ever get this figured out? I bricked my tcm in my 2006 Chrysler 300C 5.7 after flashing it with a 2007 srt8 300 cluster installed. I believe the tcm may look to other modules using their vin number/calibration to calibrate the tcm for your vehicle. It might be worth a shot to check the programmed vins in your cluster and your fcm/tipm to make sure they match your police car vin.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sethsperlik View Post
    Did you ever get this figured out? I bricked my tcm in my 2006 Chrysler 300C 5.7 after flashing it with a 2007 srt8 300 cluster installed. I believe the tcm may look to other modules using their vin number/calibration to calibrate the tcm for your vehicle. It might be worth a shot to check the programmed vins in your cluster and your fcm/tipm to make sure they match your police car vin.
    That has nothing to do with it. I've had three EVIC clusters in this car since starting this thread and they don't store an old vin AT ALL. Only the vin for the car it's currently in gets stored. There are a few modules that will show a original vin and current vin and those won't work if the current vin doesn't match the car. I've changed clusters in this car and a few others and they all seem to partially adapt to the configuration of the car. What doesn't adapt needs to be configured manually.

That and the fact I made a bench tuning set up and can write to any TCM with no other modules influence.

Tuner in Training
    On the mercedes versions of the egs52 the variant coding string definitely is in the flash. I don't see why the chrysler versions would be any different.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFrostLSC View Post
    On the mercedes versions of the egs52 the variant coding string definitely is in the flash. I don't see why the chrysler versions would be any different.
    So if I read it, made a change and wrote back would it change anything other than what I changed?