Thread: How does licensing work?

Tuner in Training

Angry How does licensing work?

2016 Corvette with Auto. As I understand it I need 2 credits to tune. I plugged my MPVI2 in and read stock file just fine. I modified it and went to write it. It used up 2 credits as it licensed the E92 ECM and TCM. Then nothing happened.

Now I can't write any files to ECM. Tells me no license for any of the files that I have been editing or stock that I read. License information in Help on the Editor tells me I have 2 credits for my E92 and the serial number for the MPVI2 is correct.

Do I need 2 more credits to license the file?

BTW, what's with no telephone for support at HPTuners? Open a ticket and hope they get back to you in a week or two?

You don't require licenses to save files in VCM Editor (a new feature since 4.0)

It sounds like you have only licensed the ECM as the TCM, FSCM etc. require additional licenses (credits) to tune if you want to. Otherwise you can deselect the TCM and FSCM in the write form.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training
    Chris, thanks for the reply. However, I still don't understand. When I select Write Vehicle, I get the dialog box that says Unlicensed File. If I select Show License Options, the License Selector box pops up. It tells me at that point that I don't have a license to perform the current action. The only option is to purchase more. There is no option to deselect TCM or FSCM.

Tuner in Training
    Wow! Now I get it. I was reading all 3 modules (ECM, TCM and CCM) editing and then trying to Write. All along I should have been reading only the ECM, editing and then Writing.

Chris, thanks! You didn’t directly answer my question but I see what you’re trying to do. I was able to solve my own problem with a little nudge from the teacher! I’ll try to stay awake in class. ��

Potential Tuner
    Chris@HPTuners, When I license 3 ECMs of the same vintage (00-06 Tahoe ecm) does that mean I can do unlimited of the same vintage ecm?
    Thanks

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by JazboJinx View Post
    Chris@HPTuners, When I license 3 ECMs of the same vintage (00-06 Tahoe ecm) does that mean I can do unlimited of the same vintage ecm?
    Thanks
    Simple answer is no.

Complex answer is found in our help file http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...credit_faq.htm
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"