Thread: Long Render time and low cpu utilization - what's up!?

Potential Tuner

Long Render time and low cpu utilization - what's up!?

All:

I've recently made the switch from Dashware. I'm trying to render gauges chroma-keyed for inclusion into a sony vegas project and what I am seeing on my system is cpu utilization below 30%, video processor below 30% and a 3 hour render time. If I am not disk, cpu or gpu constrained (intel 8700k 6 core, 12 thread, 32gb ram) then why isn't Racerender able to peg the CPU? The problem is bad at a 1080p render and is much worse to the point of being unusable at 2160p (my native format). Any suggestions? I'm using the h264 renderer.

Thanks

Advanced Tuner
    I'm assuming that the rendering is just single-threaded. I've noticed that my own renders take one core fully with a few other cores doing miscellaneous tasks for other programs. So yes, you might have 6 cores, but only one is likely being used.

This isn't too much of an issue for me since I'm only rendering about a minute of video each time, but for someone rendering a 20-30 minute track session, then I could see that becoming a much bigger deal.

I'd love to see an update that includes multi-threaded rendering, GPU rendering, and/or other performance improvements like reading the entire video files into memory (especially being a programmer myself). Synchronization issues and added complexity would likely make the program a lot less stable though...