Thread: HELP...2000 454 Vortec New Rebuild Start Help!

Potential Tuner

HELP...2000 454 Vortec New Rebuild Start Help!

We have a 2000 K3500 4x4 Vortec 454 - Fresh-rebuild/stroked to 496, .520 cam, 10:1 CR, 42# injectors, 90mm MAF & TB, Headers, built for Torque. All new sensors.

Tried to start it today, hooked up battery and turned key, it ran for 30 secs, then died as we had the Idle screw on TB set too low to idle. Now, it won't start. It is getting fire, but won't start again. Smells RICH. We have the HPT MPVI2 with 2-Credits and the base VCM Scanner/Editor software. We have NO CLUE what we are doing, just want to get this thing running and take to someone who can tune, or find someone who can help put a tune in it. Stock-tune attached.

Please let me know if you can point me in the right direction.

Really appreciate ANY help!
    -Neal
    Attached Files Attached Files

Do your best to change what you do know.

You swapped injectors, so the stock 22lb/hr injector flow rate is wrong. If the rail pressure is 43.5psi then put 42lb/hr but if it's 58psi and they are rated at 42lb/hr at 43.5psi, you need to put the flow rate for 58psi. If the injectors came with other data, you need to input that information into the calibration. Things like min injector pulse, offset setting, short pulse adder,

If you think VATS (security system) is getting in the way you could disable that too.

Disable COT if the cats are gone.

You stroked the engine, so the cylinder volume is now larger. Update the cylinder volume so the computer knows how large the engine is. Though you might be at the limit of the table which is .99998L and I think an 8.1L is slight over 1.00000. Either way it'll be closer than what it is now.

That's what I got off the top of my head for easy stuff.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Will go in first thing this morning and try...THANK YOU!

Anything else with Timing?

Potential Tuner
    So, it seems the VATS was the culprit, not letting it start! I changed the other items as well while I was in there. Appreciate the advice! Started right up and was able to break it in today!

-Neal