Thread: First time hptuner user

Potential Tuner

First time hptuner user

I have a 2009 cobalt lt xfe. I have added a k&n cold air intake, zzp midlength header, catless 2.5" downpipe and a 2.5" catback exhaust (all zzp). I would like to tune it myself because ive always wanted to learn and its hard to pay someone a good amount of money and have faith in there tuning abilities. I have installed wideband also. ive been reading erm tuning modules to get a better understanding of everything and termology. I ordered hptuners on a sunday so I have to wait for the cable and stuff in the mail. what I would like to know is where do I start after its hooked up? I figure id delete rear o2 sensor first and turn off things like speed limiter and torque management because those seem fairly easy, but changing the timing to run 93 and adjusting fueling tables for stoich at idle and 12.6 at wot im worried about. Im sure once I get the program and cable and hook it up and read through those modules while its in front of me will make it easier but other than that do you guys have any advice for a learning tuner for his first tune? thank you in advance!

I would suggest reading on the v8 section of the forum. Learning the basics from those will help you with the Cobalt. Basically the same principal applies to the car since it is an NA motor with some bolt ons. I would suggest adjusting your fuel map before moving on to timing. Once your fuel trims are with -4 to 4 you should be good. As for the afr for WOT that is under the power enrichment tab under fuel. These are simple changes but double check your tables to avoid any issues. Let me know if you need an example, I had a 2.4 g5 gt that I tuned and was stock besides straight piped exhaust. I can send you the tune to compare

my son has a 09' Cobalt

Potential Tuner
    im new also iv been playing around with it trying to figure it out my 06 lsj has the zzp stage 3 with a 2.8 pully ,ported and polished inlet of the sc and a header and 3in catless dp into the stock 2.5 exhaust any special place to start i know to do fuel before timing but what about the maf map ect. thanks in advance.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karfelt View Post
    im new also iv been playing around with it trying to figure it out my 06 lsj has the zzp stage 3 with a 2.8 pully ,ported and polished inlet of the sc and a header and 3in catless dp into the stock 2.5 exhaust any special place to start i know to do fuel before timing but what about the maf map ect. thanks in advance.
    work the VE table by restricting boost by way of user input (tps). Tune the table as you go working your way up into higher loads. When the ve table is going to be exceeded due to high cyl. airmass, switch the maf on around 1500-2000 rpm and then tune that all the way out to max performance. If your setup never exceeds the ve cylinder airmass axis then you should be able to perform a full ve tune. after your happy, back it up with the maf tuning. when both are in check, start running some ignition advance. thats about it on the lsj.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Potential Tuner
    Thanks sorry ant been on I was running into some trouble with the gas pedal sensor just got it changed out now back at the tuning